4 Vacant Coach Positions, what's taking so long to fill?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: 4 Vacant Coach Positions, what's taking so long to fill?

Post by SundayJam »

gpmcconnell wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:03 pm I don’t get the obsession with Miano. That would be a terrible hire. Hasn’t coached in years and even when he was coaching I didn’t think he was anything great.
Miano was the assistant head coach for McMackin. He was a local walk-on at UH who made the draft and subsequently played 11 years in the pros. The defensive backfield shined under Miano's tutelage. From what I gather, he has always wanted to stay in Hawaii...which is unlucky if that means Von Chow and former subordinate...and former JC transfer Rolovich...who got beat out by Chang...became head coach. I can't say if Miano was the answer...but he definitely should have been given his track record.

wailukuwarriorfan
Starter
Starter

Post by wailukuwarriorfan »

Irse wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:43 am I would rather have them and replace them when they leave instead of having the local coordinators that we've had: Tommy Lee, Ron Lee, Rich Miano, George Lumpkin, Cal Lee. All we're demoted back to position coach or sent off into retirement.
There we go, you're suggesting the cycle of an inconsistent coaching staff, comprised of Assistants with no dedication or long term commitment to UH, the players or Hawaii.

From what you suggest, Hawaii would always struggle to achieve a tradition of winning, because as soon as we began winning, we would develop inconsistencies within the coaching staff with a revolving door of Assistants using Hawaii as a stepping stone.

I would take Ron, Cal or Rich Miano all day over some coach that bolts as soon as a bigger program offers them more $$$.

And while we are talking about Ron and Cal Lee, imagine how quickly they could get Chevan going with the passing game next season.

And just think what would have happened if Rich Miano was promoted to HC instead of hiring Norm Chow.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

When Rich, Ron, Cal were coordinators the lowest amount of games they won was 6 and nearly won a few close one's.

Back then that was considered "unacceptable", now folks would demand a pay increase.

To me young developing coaches are good to bring in during good times of a program, to be developed by the senior coaching staff. Like when Rolo was brought in by Mack.

During down times, like recently, you need coaches who has been around the block, been there and done that, to bring stability back.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

wailukuwarriorfan wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:28 pm
My3Cats wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:55 pm
Norm Chow was reasonably successful for most of his career and wanted to come home. Look where that got us. Chris Naeole was one of those who happened to be available and did not really need the money, but perhaps his expectations were too high regarding disciplinary actions being too light, and look what happened. Yes it can be done, but those assistant coaching candidates don't come around often.
UH's hire of Norm Chow to be a HC could have been averted if UH just did their due diligence by calling Lavelle Edwards at BYU to inquire why Chow wasn't promoted to HC upon his departure, after years of service. Simple due diligence. But politics in Hawaii made it happen.

Just because candidates were born in Hawaii or want to come home, doesn't mean they will be a good fit as a football coach for UH. They need to have the ability to work as a cohesive team with other coaches, have the desire and ability to coach and develop UH recruits and be willing and able to accept the lower pay that presently comes with the position.
I agree with all of what WWF says here. But then again as far as due diligence and politics, well, we are talking about UH here.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

In the meantime, while we patient wait and enjoy Christmas, UCF hire's 4 assistants to add to their new coaching staff
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.co ... els-staff/

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

BigWave96744 wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:41 pm In the meantime, while we patient wait and enjoy Christmas, UCF hire's 4 assistants to add to their new coaching staff
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.co ... els-staff/
My guess is that UCF is not encumbered by any State of Florida hiring procedures or union rules regarding hiring.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

wailukuwarriorfan
Starter
Starter

Post by wailukuwarriorfan »

BigWave96744 wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:13 pm When Rich, Ron, Cal were coordinators the lowest amount of games they won was 6 and nearly won a few close one's.

Back then that was considered "unacceptable", now folks would demand a pay increase.

To me young developing coaches are good to bring in during good times of a program, to be developed by the senior coaching staff. Like when Rolo was brought in by Mack.

During down times, like recently, you need coaches who has been around the block, been there and done that, to bring stability back.
Rolovich mentioned after losing several games this past season that UH was out coached. I agree. What UH lacked was seasoned coordinators to mentor the younger, less experienced Assistants. Learn from your mistakes, Coach, can't make the same mistakes again next season. The free passes are gone.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

The UCF pay is good but their wildly successful head coach is leaving after only 2 seasons. They don't really have a winning tradition and have changed conferences many times. They kind of remind me of SMU...except SMU had a winning tradition. Good luck to McKensie Milton...vs...AUBURN?!!!!

Rolovich made a big mistake promoting inexperienced position coaches to offensive and defensive coordinators. Gawd...I wish I could muddle through with some leadership mind farts and continue to make $400,000 a year. Of course, Scott Frost at UCF was making $2mill. but he has fled the coup after tasting success. Rolovich is ranked number 118 in NCAAF salaries.

IDK guys...I see miracles happen at UNLV, USU, Fresno St....and I wonder what the heck happened to us.

go bows
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by go bows »

JJ masked the local coaches deficiencies.

The current coaching staff has proven to recruit several ilh prospects. The next local hire needs to secure commits statewide.

Recruits from the ilh is an upgrade from zero but still UNACCEPTABLE.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

I can't believe when I read post here and on the WarriorBeat that say give Rolo 4 to 5 "More" years to get his pay off for all "HIS" recruits.

They are already trying to find excuses for 2 to 3 more losing seasons.

We have had 1 winning season in the past 6 years. I really dont think Rolo or this program can afford 2 to 3 more losing seasons in a row. It's now considered a good crowd if 20,000 shows up on game day, PPV sales are down and Corporate Sponsor are not too thrilled about the end product. Bills gotta get paid and football drives the bus to the bank.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

I don't read all the threads here or Tsai's blog all of the time but I don't recall anyone giving him 3 more losing seasons. That would be as bad as Chow.
ImageImage

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

It has only been two years but what exactly is Rolovich's strategy? His recruiting seems to be okay but the rest of it is unclear. I'm waiting to see who he picks as offensive and defensive coordinators next year.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

We won't be hiring someone for the OC position since Brian Smith is it, I hope there are some reassignments though.
ImageImage

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Post by stranger808 »

Irse wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:40 am We won't be hiring someone for the OC position since Brian Smith is it, I hope there are some reassignments though.
Brian Smith should coach the Oline. Rolo should take over game planning, play-calling & quarterbacks. IMO

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Irse wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:40 am We won't be hiring someone for the OC position since Brian Smith is it, I hope there are some reassignments though.
This alone may cause some not to renew their ticket. I've heard a lot of fans at the stadium and around town that say this offense is just as boring at Norm Chow's run, run, pass, punt