4 Vacant Coach Positions, what's taking so long to fill?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: 4 Vacant Coach Positions, what's taking so long to fill?

Post by RedZone »

Hard to believe that we can not find any local coaches who can fill the positions. Just look for the ones that are good at developing players.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

You would almost have to expect constant coaching turnover for the pay scale in UH athletics.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

wailukuwarriorfan
Starter
Starter

Post by wailukuwarriorfan »

BigWave96744 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:59 pm BTW inexperienced coaches at the D1 level shouldn't expect premium pay.

Coaching experience alone should warrant Rolo and his staff to be paid less that that of Norm or Mack's staff.

Paying the same coaches more would not have gotten us more wins in 2017. Unbelievable that some would argue that if our current staff were paid like the middle pack of the MWC, we would have won more games. Not unless they would have extra Kala to pay off the refs
If UH could payoff the refs this season, they could have stayed in a few more games longer.

wailukuwarriorfan
Starter
Starter

My3Cats wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:07 pm You would almost have to expect constant coaching turnover for the pay scale in UH athletics.
Just need to hire the ones that are qualified and want to live in Hawaii. They are out there. Blue chip players want Coaches that can help them translate into the NFL. They are out there too. If Assistant Coaches played or coached in the NFL and retired after a successful career, maybe they don't need the higher paying jobs found on the mainland anymore.

If you grew up in Hawaii and moved to the mainland to go to school or to work and missed your family / Hawaii, or your girlfriend/wife or kids missed home, you know what I'm referring to.

wailukuwarriorfan
Starter
Starter

Irse wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:34 pm
BigWave96744 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:59 pm BTW inexperienced coaches at the D1 level shouldn't expect premium pay.

Coaching experience alone should warrant Rolo and his staff to be paid less that that of Norm or Mack's staff.

Paying the same coaches more would not have gotten us more wins in 2017. Unbelievable that some would argue that if our current staff were paid like the middle pack of the MWC, we would have won more games. Not unless they would have extra Kala to pay off the refs
No. Better pay would attract better candidates.
Not necessarily true, we could wind up with a revolving door coaching situation with successful coaches always leaving for higher pay. If they don't have roots here, we may find ourselves constantly replacing successful Assistants, resulting in a lack of consistency towards developing a winning tradition. It would be better finding Assistants that want to come home and never want to leave again, or who are already home. Pick the most qualified Assistants that are loyal to UH and bleed Green. There are many out there.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

No this is true, but there are some who say we lost because the current staff is under paid.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

wailukuwarriorfan wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:24 pm

Not necessarily true, we could wind up with a revolving door coaching situation with successful coaches always leaving for higher pay. If they don't have roots here, we may find ourselves constantly replacing successful Assistants, resulting in a lack of consistency towards developing a winning tradition. It would be better finding Assistants that want to come home and never want to leave again, or who are already home. Pick the most qualified Assistants that are loyal to UH and bleed Green. There are many out there.
That's my point. The candidates would be better and probably more successful. Didn't say anything about them staying or developing continuity.
ImageImage

Irse

Post by Irse »

BigWave96744 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:25 pm

No this is true, but there are some who say we lost because the current staff is under paid.
I don't quite understand that way of thinking. We don't pay much and sometimes we get what we pay for. I think we have some good coaches and I think Rolo will do good things but wish we could pay more.
ImageImage

wailukuwarriorfan
Starter
Starter

That's my point. The candidates would be better and probably more successful. Didn't say anything about them staying or developing continuity.
So let's say we go with your point of discussion. Better candidates like Zak Hill, for example, who is now doing well for Boise State or Kevin Klune or Kevin Lempa who also left? They are better, more successful coaches we landed at UH.

How sustainable was that for UH? We will always have challenges keeping coaches who have reason to leave UH for higher paying opportunities. The State will not allow us to be pay competitive with other programs. Not addressing that problem and repeating the same mistake over and over, does that work for UH or the team? Shouldn't we try to develop a winning tradition by assembling a team of Assistant coaches dedicated to UH and develop continuity?

Irse

Post by Irse »

I would rather have them and replace them when they leave instead of having the local coordinators that we've had: Tommy Lee, Ron Lee, Rich Miano, George Lumpkin, Cal Lee. All we're demoted back to position coach or sent off into retirement.
ImageImage

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Was Rich Miano demoted? I thought he was purged during the Von Chow era along with Rolovich and Aranda. Gawd, I would have loved to have seen Rich Miano take over as head coach with Rolovich and Aranda as offensive and defensive coordinators. Guys like June Jones and Greg McMackin had a knack for finding diamonds in the rough.

A Cinderella season like the 2007 UH Warriors or the 2018 UCF Knights is bound to see coaches get raided. Teams like Boise State, UNLV, and Utah State thrive despite this dynamic.

Irse

Post by Irse »

Miano and Lumpkin were co cordinators. When Glanville decided he wanted to coach again, Glanville was named DC and Miano and Lumpkin went back to being position coaches.

June and Mac had more experience, different stops and connections than Rolo has. I think it'll he harder for Rolo to find the diamond in the rough coaches. His experience is basically WAC/MW and Hawaii/Nevada.
ImageImage

gpmcconnell
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by gpmcconnell »

I don’t get the obsession with Miano. That would be a terrible hire. Hasn’t coached in years and even when he was coaching I didn’t think he was anything great.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

wailukuwarriorfan wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:59 pm
My3Cats wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:07 pm You would almost have to expect constant coaching turnover for the pay scale in UH athletics.
Just need to hire the ones that are qualified and want to live in Hawaii. They are out there. Blue chip players want Coaches that can help them translate into the NFL. They are out there too. If Assistant Coaches played or coached in the NFL and retired after a successful career, maybe they don't need the higher paying jobs found on the mainland anymore.

If you grew up in Hawaii and moved to the mainland to go to school or to work and missed your family / Hawaii, or your girlfriend/wife or kids missed home, you know what I'm referring to.
Norm Chow was reasonably successful for most of his career and wanted to come home. Look where that got us. Chris Naeole was one of those who happened to be available and did not really need the money, but perhaps his expectations were too high regarding disciplinary actions being too light, and look what happened. Yes it can be done, but those assistant coaching candidates don't come around often.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

wailukuwarriorfan
Starter
Starter

My3Cats wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:55 pm
Norm Chow was reasonably successful for most of his career and wanted to come home. Look where that got us. Chris Naeole was one of those who happened to be available and did not really need the money, but perhaps his expectations were too high regarding disciplinary actions being too light, and look what happened. Yes it can be done, but those assistant coaching candidates don't come around often.
UH's hire of Norm Chow to be a HC could have been averted if UH just did their due diligence by calling Lavelle Edwards at BYU to inquire why Chow wasn't promoted to HC upon his departure, after years of service. Simple due diligence. But politics in Hawaii made it happen.

Just because candidates were born in Hawaii or want to come home, doesn't mean they will be a good fit as a football coach for UH. They need to have the ability to work as a cohesive team with other coaches, have the desire and ability to coach and develop UH recruits and be willing and able to accept the lower pay that presently comes with the position.