4 Vacant Coach Positions, what's taking so long to fill?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: 4 Vacant Coach Positions, what's taking so long to fill?

Post by Duster »

BigWave96744 wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:45 am
Irse wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:40 am We won't be hiring someone for the OC position since Brian Smith is it, I hope there are some reassignments though.
This alone may cause some not to renew their ticket. I've heard a lot of fans at the stadium and around town that say this offense is just as boring at Norm Chow's run, run, pass, punt
Offensive schemes evolve. Personnel dictate schemes, unless you're NC and force feed your scheme to the personnel. Rolo & Co. are and have been bringing in their recruits, so I would not be surprised if the offense looks markedly different with more agile OL.

As for the defense, the emphasis on edge rushers shows the recognition that the ability to apply pressure without committing to blitzes will make our DBs seem vastly improved. Hopefully, the DE position will become one of strength and enable the defense to shut down opponents on 3rd down.

I'm with Irse on the coaches, especially DC. I'd rather have a nimble-minded, cutting edge up and comer at DC who may be here as a stepping stone for only a couple of years over an old war horse who has gazillion accolades but his best days are be behind him and is close to being put out into the pasture. The budget apparently limits who can be hired, and those two types would seem to be the most willing to come here. The younger coach is also more likely to go balls out in recruiting. Aranda types do exist - just gotta find them and get them here. Those are just my 2 cents anyway.

gpmcconnell
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by gpmcconnell »

LB coach out now too?

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Yeah...I'm underwhelmed here. I mean...he's not exactly a Chow or a Von Appen...He's more like all the athletic directors we've hired since Stan Sheriff.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

uhwarriors wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:46 am The job postings to replace them went up immediately. The 10 day application period closes on 12/28. With the exception of the HC, upper campus doesn't need to approve contracts unless a salary is outside of the approved salary ranges. With the budgetary constraints, I don't think we're in a position to offer more.
Today is the day, so I hope at least 1 coach is named. For years it's been discussed that for certain State positions, liking hiring coaches, this 10 day period needs to be shortened. In the Federal Government positions also must be posted, but some can be as short as 4 days.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

On a side note, Rice just hired Brian Smith and Coach Mack as coordinators for the 2018 season
http://m.chron.com/sports/rice/article/ ... o-14669086

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

I would rather he make a right hire than a rushed hire.
ImageImage

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Irse wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:38 pm I would rather he make a right hire than a rushed hire.
Not unless the hire is a mentor and his "Master of Ren" George Rush

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

ImageImage

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

One down. Four more to go.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

Irse wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:38 pm I would rather he make a right hire than a rushed hire.
+1. Better to get qualified coaches that are good fits and that hopefully will stick around for a while than quickly filling positions and not getting the right kinds of guys. Plus about 75% of the recruiting class is already signed.