DC and WR coach resign! (Discuss replacements)

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: DC and WR coach resign! (Discuss replacements)

Post by SundayJam »

So...they transfer from a 3-9 team to a 1-11 team. I still can't understand why UH would pay so much money to fire a winning coach with 2 great coordinators to hire Von Chow. While Rolovich was a work in progress as an offensive coordinator, he struggles as a head coach. Would that we could have that guy who is the defensive coordinator at LSU back...what was his name again...?

Is Brian Smith still the offensive coordinator?

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

SundayJam wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:12 am So...they transfer from a 3-9 team to a 1-11 team. I still can't understand why UH would pay so much money to fire a winning coach with 2 great coordinators to hire Von Chow. While Rolovich was a work in progress as an offensive coordinator, he struggles as a head coach. Would that we could have that guy who is the defensive coordinator at LSU back...what was his name again...?

Cans't understand lots of the decisions of the previous admin.
ImageImage

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Dave Aranda.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

SundayJam wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:12 am So...they transfer from a 3-9 team to a 1-11 team. I still can't understand why UH would pay so much money to fire a winning coach with 2 great coordinators to hire Von Chow. While Rolovich was a work in progress as an offensive coordinator, he struggles as a head coach. Would that we could have that guy who is the defensive coordinator at LSU back...what was his name again...?

here we go again!!!!

The way I heard it, if they had hired Miano he would have kept Aranda, Rolo, and everyone else. That was a great staff and a decent team that had the unfortunate luck with their head coach not being fit for the job anymore.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

poidog wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:22 pm

here we go again!!!!

The way I heard it, if they had hired Miano he would have kept Aranda, Rolo, and everyone else. That was a great staff and a decent team that had the unfortunate luck with their head coach not being fit for the job anymore.
Ironic that Miano would have kept Rolo, but Rolo seems to never want Miano (otherwise he would have been here already in 2016 or 17. Instead we opt for D3 coaches

wailukuwarriorfan
Starter
Starter

Post by wailukuwarriorfan »

BigWave96744 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:07 pm
poidog wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:22 pm

here we go again!!!!

Ironic that Miano would have kept Rolo, but Rolo seems to never want Miano (otherwise he would have been here already in 2016 or 17. Instead we opt for D3 coaches
Rolo may have had insecurities to hire Assistants that could potentially replace him, if he fails to achieve a winning record during his contract period.

The problem with not hiring the best coaching staff that Hawaii can afford may result in the same result, losing the HC job.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

wailukuwarriorfan wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:59 am The problem with not hiring the best coaching staff that Hawaii can afford may result in the same result, losing the HC job.
Totally agree! That's why I don't buy the "Rolo doesn't want to hire someone who may try to take his job" argument - it makes no sense. No one is going to take his job if he's doing a good job and the team is winning.

wailukuwarriorfan
Starter
Starter

poidog wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:02 pm
wailukuwarriorfan wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:59 am The problem with not hiring the best coaching staff that Hawaii can afford may result in the same result, losing the HC job.
Totally agree! That's why I don't buy the "Rolo doesn't want to hire someone who may try to take his job" argument - it makes no sense. No one is going to take his job if he's doing a good job and the team is winning.
Being a young, inexperienced HC, it's excusable to make a few, bad hires in his first and second year, but Rolo probably won't receive any free passes on his third year. He's got to make the right Coaching Assistant adjustments now.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

We really do need a good linebacker coach.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Post by stranger808 »

RedZone wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:46 pm We really do need a good linebacker coach.
Lumpkin? I think he's still around. Kurt Gouvia. IDK, I just throwing out names.

wailukuwarriorfan
Starter
Starter

Chris Brown may want to come home and coach linebackers and also help with strength and conditioning. He could also provide a pipeline to HS recruiting in LV.

I think Rolovich needs to work with Matlin to first increase the Assistant Coaches salary pool, then somehow figure a way to bring Keith Bhonapha back to UH to raise the program's quality and standards. Keith has been with Boise for years and now Washington, consistently improving programs where he coaches.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

stranger808 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:36 pm
RedZone wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:46 pm We really do need a good linebacker coach.
Lumpkin? I think he's still around. Kurt Gouvia. IDK, I just throwing out names.

I really liked Kurt.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

Irse wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:22 am

Previous administration = MRC Greenwood and Rockne Freitas.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

uhwarriors wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:50 pm
Irse wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:22 am

Previous administration = MRC Greenwood and Rockne Freitas.
Yep.
ImageImage

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

RedZone wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:58 am
stranger808 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:36 pm
I really liked Kurt.
Kurt "Could" have been retained by Rolo, like Abe and Naeole, instead he opted to hire Sean Duggan with 1 year grad assistant experience :-?

Oh and like Rich Miano, we we could afford Kurt so money was not an object
KURT GOUVEIA
TITLE Assistant Coach - Outside Linebackers

Veteran NFL linebacker Kurt Gouveia returns to the University of Hawai‘i football program for his second season as a defensive assistant coach in charge of outside linebackers in 2015.

Gouveia spent 13 seasons in the NFL and holds the distinction of winning a high school championship (O‘ahu Prep Bowl) with Wai‘anae from 1977-78 and 1980, collegiate national championship with Brigham Young in 1984 and Super Bowl with the Washington Redskins in 1987 and ‘91.

Early in 2013, Gouveia was one of seven charter members inducted into the Polynesian Football Hall of Fame and he is also a member of the Hawai‘i Sports Hall of Fame, having been inducted in 2002.

From 2003-04, Gouveia was a student manager at UH under then-head coach June Jones. He then coached overseas for three years in NFL Europe with the Berlin Thunder (2005 and ‘07) and Rhein Fire (2006), during the latter of which serving as co-defensive coordinator. He helped lead both teams to the World Bowl.

Gouveia returned to coaching with Lake Norman High School in 2010 before becoming linebackers and special teams assistant coach with the United Football League’s Sacramento Mountain Lions in 2011. He joined the UFL’s Virginia Destroyers in 2012 and, in 2013, was a coach for the American squad in the National Football League Players Association Collegiate Bowl.

The Wai‘anae, O‘ahu native spent nine of his 13 years in the NFL playing for the Washington Redskins, where he was drafted in the eighth round of the 1986 NFL Draft. The BYU alum also played for the Philadelphia Eagles and San Diego Chargers. He spent one year with the Las Vegas Outlaws of the XFL before retiring.
http://hawaiiathletics.com/coaches.aspx ... h=football