Should we really be surprised at UH being 3-8?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
Egonator
Pine rider
Pine rider
MLB: Brewers/Rays
NBA: Jazz/Timberwolves
NFL: Vikings/Bills

Should we really be surprised at UH being 3-8?

Post by Egonator »

So last year UH was 7-7. If I remember correctly we were lucky at Air Force when the Field Goal kicker who was clutch at the time missed the potential game winning Field Goal in the 4th quarter. UH won in overtime . A couple weeks later UH blocked a last second Field Goal in Fresno and Won. If we didn't win those games there would be no Hawaii Bowl hence our record would be 4-9.
This year unlike last year the team is not getting the lucky breaks. I think we all expected improvement from last year but should we really be surprised that the team is 3-8?

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Re: Should we really be surprised at UH being 3-8?

Post by UnBiasFan »

People are disappointed. I don’t think many are surprised. Going into any season, people have in their minds what is realistically doable. Seven or eight wins and a bowl game was a reasonable expectation. But most know that three or four wins is very possible. When the team comes up short like this, fans start asking questions. If it happens too many years in a row, we start looking for a new coach. We aren’t quite there yet.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

I would have appreciated a team who was competitive and lost in the fourth quarter than the first quarter. Most teams had us in the first half aside from the win/loss. It doesn't matter regarding the record, it matters as to what kind of game was played. When you see the other team dominating in the first quarter its easy to find another football game to watch. Freaking boring watching UH.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

With or without Coach Naeole and all of the injuries throughout the pre-season and season, the offensive line has been disappointing. Maybe to eliminate the false starts they should snap the ball on one instead of calling off the long cadence. To eliminate the holding, they should wear fingerless gloves. At least we haven't been seeing the hands to the face and punching/personal foul penalties lately. The offense is impotent enough without the constant shooting themselves in the foot syndrome.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

UH95
Starter
Starter

Post by UH95 »

shrek2 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:17 am I would have appreciated a team who was competitive and lost in the fourth quarter than the first quarter. Most teams had us in the first half aside from the win/loss. It doesn't matter regarding the record, it matters as to what kind of game was played. When you see the other team dominating in the first quarter its easy to find another football game to watch. Freaking boring watching UH.
+1 So true...

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Everyone is

Code: Select all

1.	San Diego State (28)	168
2.	Hawai‘i	135
3.	UNLV	105
4.	Nevada	79
5.	San José State	54
6.	Fresno State	47
http://www.themw.com/news/2017/7/25/201 ... order.aspx

Sunday, Dec. 24
Hawaii Bowl, Honolulu, (8:30 p.m., ESPN)
AAC vs. MWC
Tulsa vs. Hawaii
https://www.si.com/college-football/201 ... f-schedule

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Yes it is a surprise. It was all there at the beginning. Yeah we saw that offense would have to score with the defense that we had but there was enough to win more games. I think it all went downhill when Ursua got hurt. It was like total deflation. No other receiver stepped up and it also affected our quarterback. Colt had Bess. Last year Dru had Kemp. This year it looked like it was going to be John until he went down. After that all we had left was DSJ. I am amazed at how many yards he has gotten. A lot of that was on his own. He is the team MVP. The it stopped being a surprise when coach Naeole left. What coach leaves in the middle of the season? It’s not like he got fired. It was then that I thought something was really wrong. I still don’t know what it is but I have to wonder if it will take some coaching changes. I just don’t want to see same ole stuff. We should have been a bowl team.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

Nisei
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Padres

Post by Nisei »

At the beginning of the season? Yes, I'd be surprised we'd be 3-8 right now. With the injuries to Ursua, Unga, the banged up OL shuffle, and Naeole digging out; no, I'm not surprised we're 3-8 right now.

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Post by stranger808 »

I'm surprised at the horrifically poor game planning I witnessed throughout the year, it all came to a head during the SDSU game.

WarriorTyme
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by WarriorTyme »

Both BYU and Hawaii were decimated with injuries this season but the talent level on the depth chart was exposed for Rainbows. Diocemy couldn't get the record until the end of the game when BYU mixed in there 2nd-3rd string defense. Recruiting is everything.

#1. Most important thing that needs to change!

Mens Sports: Hawaii Warriors
Women's Sports: Rainbow Warrior Women

Many Universities have alterations to their Nicknames based on masculinity (men) and femininity (women). This is done to celebrate the differences between Male and Female athletics.

This will help attract recruits to all University of Hawaii sports both Mens and Women's that would other wise go somewhere else local or mainland. Excellent recruits/talent can make a good coach look like a genius. Hawaii already has a geographical challenges, so why further limit the recruits/talent all Hawaii sports could get. The best coach Hawaii Football had was June Jones and he got all that talent and wins as Hawaii Warriors.

#2. Hire experienced offensive coordinator and defensive coordinator. I'm afraid that some of these coach are a little out of their league in the MWC. Last season all the teams didn't have any tape on Rolo and his coaching staff schemes, tendencies, play calling. But now teams have tape on Rolo and his coaching staff. The "Rainbow Effect" on recruiting coupled with teams having tape on Rolo and his staff coaching led to dismal season.

I'm not calling for Rolo firing but there are nickname and coaching changes needed this off season to help turn this ship around.

XKamaaina
Starter
Starter

Post by XKamaaina »

Hard to fathom college football. Just read that UCLA’s buyout for Mora was $10 mil. Ariz State buyout of Graham is $11 mil. Gruden offered $9 mil at Tenn with $8 mil pool for assistants. I’d guess UH assistant pool at $300K. What the hell is UH supposed to do?

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

XKamaaina wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:47 am Hard to fathom college football. Just read that UCLA’s buyout for Mora was $10 mil. Ariz State buyout of Graham is $11 mil. Gruden offered $9 mil at Tenn with $8 mil pool for assistants. I’d guess UH assistant pool at $300K. What the hell is UH supposed to do?
We can't even think to play on the same field with those guys. That is why we keep falling further back.
ImageImage

gpmcconnell
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by gpmcconnell »

Our HC makes 250k less than the strength coach at Alabama

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

$400K is not a drop in the bucket. Besides, you gotta love what you do and not do it for the money. One of the important things you learn in Sales (which I am not).

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Hey, plenty people in the community (not UH football fans), complained when private citizens/fans/boosters donated half of June Jones' $800,000+ salary. People gotta hate. Crabs in a bucket mentality. And that's why UH football and athletics in general will rarely exceed the level of mediocrity.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.