Free the bench!!! Who would you like to see get some playing time?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Free the bench!!! Who would you like to see get some playing time?

Post by My3Cats »

stranger808 wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:17 pm I don't think Hughes got a scholie for his talent, I think Rolo gave him one for his great attitude, scout team contributions and persistence. I believe da bugga got cut 2x, but I could be wrong.
I do believe that you are correct. Unfortunately, he still did not get any playing time yesterday.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

stranger808 wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:17 pm I don't think Hughes got a scholie for his talent, I think Rolo gave him one for his great attitude, scout team contributions and persistence. I believe da bugga got cut 2x, but I could be wrong.
You're right. He was a locker room leader and a member of the team's leadership council. He was also a great student, which will help the APR.

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Post by stranger808 »

Rolo should have played the other QBs more. Now, Dru left and we have Cole McDonald as the only QB with D1 experience. In my opinion, he should have played Freddie Holly more too.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

RB position is wide open now. But when do we get to see the second coming of "Barney Rubble" (Genta Ito) run the ball?

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

My3Cats wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:56 am RB position is wide open now. But when do we get to see the second coming of "Barney Rubble" (Genta Ito) run the ball?
Genta Ito is like the Hawaii version of Notre Dame's Daniel (Rudy) Ruettiger in the 70s. Rudy was 5'6" and 160lbs and played scout team DE. Genta should serve as an inspiration to Hawaii's wannabe athletes that they can do anything if they try hard enough.

BowTow
High-quality H20 provider

Post by BowTow »

shrek2 wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:03 am
My3Cats wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:56 am RB position is wide open now. But when do we get to see the second coming of "Barney Rubble" (Genta Ito) run the ball?
Genta Ito is like the Hawaii version of Notre Dame's Daniel (Rudy) Ruettiger in the 70s. Rudy was 5'6" and 160lbs and played scout team DE. Genta should serve as an inspiration to Hawaii's wannabe athletes that they can do anything if they try hard enough.
It's no big deal. Locals walk on all the time and make the team. Some never get in, some play special teams, some play sparingly, and some make the starting unit. In the mid 80's Saint Louis High had a nose tackle named Shawn Nakakura who was 5'5" and 150 pounds that walked on to UH. I think he bulked up to 170 pound and was able to play nose tackle in rubbish time. There is a "Rudy" at almost all Schools. Rudy is famous because a movie was made about him.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

BowTow wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:15 pm It's no big deal. Locals walk on all the time and make the team. Some never get in, some play special teams, some play sparingly, and some make the starting unit. In the mid 80's Saint Louis High had a nose tackle named Shawn Nakakura who was 5'5" and 150 pounds that walked on to UH. I think he bulked up to 170 pound and was able to play nose tackle in rubbish time. There is a "Rudy" at almost all Schools. Rudy is famous because a movie was made about him.
I guess Rudy was also famous because it was Notre Dame with a storied program. UH is trying to get the respect from national broadcasters. I like the fact that UH gives local kids a dream. Hawaii, recently was considering dropping football and Marcus Mariota said he hopes Hawaii doesn't.
http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.s ... _to_s.html
UH gives the local kids a dream. I hope they do have specialty plays like they did last year to run Genta Ito.

ulua
All-American
All-American
MLB: Marlins
NFL: Panthers

Post by ulua »

I too would have liked to see him carry the rock a few times, and yes some of the other QB’s and RB’s should have had more playing time to gain experience for this year especially since DB left

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

BowTow wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:15 pm
shrek2 wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:03 am
It's no big deal. Locals walk on all the time and make the team. Some never get in, some play special teams, some play sparingly, and some make the starting unit. In the mid 80's Saint Louis High had a nose tackle named Shawn Nakakura who was 5'5" and 150 pounds that walked on to UH. I think he bulked up to 170 pound and was able to play nose tackle in rubbish time. There is a "Rudy" at almost all Schools. Rudy is famous because a movie was made about him.
My curiosity for Ito has nothing to do with the Rudy reference. Stephen Tsai wrote stuff about him last off season and had some photos on his blog that intrigued readers because he was impressive in the off season workouts. Also his thighs are the size of big tree trunks and his calves rival that of Travis Sims, the original "Barney Rubble". Rolo - give the Man from Japan the ball a few times!

warbow

Post by warbow »

Hate to say it but Ito was just brought in here to bring the Japanese fans to the stadium. They need someone to identify with before they come out and support. Same with the Filipino fans.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

warbow wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:43 am Hate to say it but Ito was just brought in here to bring the Japanese fans to the stadium. They need someone to identify with before they come out and support. Same with the Filipino fans.
Genta Ito is a walk-on.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

warbow wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:43 am Hate to say it but Ito was just brought in here to bring the Japanese fans to the stadium. They need someone to identify with before they come out and support. Same with the Filipino fans.
Totally disagree. People go to games because of its entertainment value. They go to watch a winner. People want to watch players who are on the bench that they feel can make the big play. I personally wanted to see Eperone should have gotten more time.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

I doubt that we'll see Japanese fans from Japan, or Filipino fans from the Philippines at No-Aloha any time soon, to watch UH football no matter who is playing. :D

wailukuwarriorfan
Starter
Starter

Post by wailukuwarriorfan »

I'd like to see Cole McDonald finally be given the opportunity to run the offense. It would also be interesting to see Larry Tuileta showing some leadership skills on the field at QB while the freshmen QB's learn the RnS.

In the WR position, I'd like to see Devan Stubblefield fulfill his potential, along with Kalakaua Timoteo. Also excited to see RS Fr Drake Stallworth's ability to stretch the field with his speed. At slot, looking forward to seeing Cedric Byrd creating mismatches and getting YAC's, tag teaming with John Ursua. Also looking forward to seeing Dakota Torres playing slot position.

At RB, looking forward to seeing Dayton Furuta, Kaiwi Chung and Hekili Keliiliki not just pass blocking, but also running the ball, punishing any opposing defense trying to make a solo tackle.

On the defense, I'd like to see Cole Carter get some reps, after proving himself on the practice squad in previous years. It's also time for Max Hendrie to showcase his speed and quickness on the field.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

ulua wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:42 am
5) Ito - I just want to see him play, next year we will
Have a lot of RB’s and may get lost in the rotation

Since (college) football is also about money, I like to see Ito play. I believe he is the first Japanese from Japan. This will sell tickets - Japanese Tourist. And maybe inspire a new generation of kids in Japan, that want to play (American) Football.

I know this is a different sport, but some Sumo guys are big and tall (not just fat). Imagine if they start off building up for football as a kid - instead of chowing down on chankonabe.