How Hawaii Can Return To Glory - The ONLY WAY

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football

Hawaii would score more points and be more successful if they ran the RUN AND SHOOT

Poll ended at Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:29 am

YES
57%
NO
43%

Total votes: 14

Baller Hawk
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

How Hawaii Can Return To Glory - The ONLY WAY

Post by Baller Hawk »

For years now we've seen Hawaii Football STINK UP Aloha Stadium... Here's the Game Plan and the ONLY WAY that Hawaii can return to Glory
June Jones might be a dirty, volleyball player loving, no good, no loyalty kind of person. But let's NOT get it twisted. He has shown us EXACTLY what Hawaii Football has to do to win. Besides leaving the entire State of Hawaii behind for SMU... He did leave behind a F ING BLUEPRINT... and here it is...
1. Keep the Local Boys home...
At one point Hawaii Football sent 5-7 players to the NFL EVERY SINGLE YEAR! They were tied with schools like USC, Florida State and Alabama.
The main reason why was they kept the LOCAL BOYS HOME!!!
I have no idea what ROLO and his staff are doing. But last year they had 0...ZERO... Local boys... Meanwhile THE MOST TALENTED PLAYER IN THE HISTORY OF HAWAII went across the country to be the back up for Jalen Hurts...
2. You NEED A LOCAL Recruiter who the Hawaii Parent RESPECT!!!
The ONLY REASON Hawaii players stayed home was because of the LEE brothers... Plain and simple. All parents from Kahuku to Waianae RESPECT them, trust them and will tell their kids to stay and play for them. Ron Lee one sit down and local parents can relate and love him
Then all it took was one recruit named Timmy Chang to stay home and it started a WAVE that the local boys rode.
So we missed 2 Timmy Chang recruits... Mckenzie Milton and Tua Tagovailoa...
Stop hiring your friends you played with, your friends from Nevada and hire someone who can do the job! No offense but just looking at the recruiting coordinator I can guarantee you the first thing Hawaii parents say is... "I no trust dis haole anymore den I trust da haole on da mainland" - So go play where you like.
Yeah CMON you want local boys... Get a local recruiter... DUH
A LOCAL BOY WILL DIE TO DEFEND HIS HOME... A recruit from the mainland will save his okole before defending pride rock...
Right now the local talent is incredible and they are going away to top 25 schools... NEED TO KEEP THE LOCAL BOYS HOME WITH A LOCAL RECRUITER!!! HELLO!!!!1

3. Run the RUN AND SHOOT
So we went from running an offense with a tight end with Norm Chow... To running an offense with a tight end with ROLO....
Why the run and shoot? IT WORKS... DUH... It boggles my mind that ROLO, Stutzman and Smith ALL played in the SUCCESSFUL Offensive system and they refuse to run it???? WTF??????
The run and shoot creates mismatches... First of all no college has 5-6 scholarship corner backs...... So the 4,5,6, WR should have the upper hand = the MISMATCH.
Where is our mismatch in the current offense??? I think every linebacker, safety, DB can easily cover our TE...
Does any of our current WRs win a 1 on 1 battle???
NOOOOOOO!!!!! No right now the current offense doesn't give us any mismatches in our favor...
The good thing about the run and shoot is you DO NOT NEED prototype WRs to run it!!!! You can use local boys, small, quick, shifty slot backs... HELLO!!!!!!
I don't get it...
OMG I just realized how irritated I am with the current offensive system, recruiting system and season... ROLO can be all hashtag and love the aloha spirit... But I'm telling you right now... Local parents are laughing at YOU!!!
NO LOCAL BOYS STAYED HOME LAST YEAR!!!!
Then the Local Boy who wanted to stay home to FIGHT for Hawaii, to play for PRIDE of the State is ridding the bench ...
Kalakaua Timoteo!!! Someone tell why is playing behind Bernard, Armstrong Brown, Barker, Ewaliko, and Collie?
He has the best hands on the team, the most FIRE in his heart and the most PRIDE for Hawaii...
Why hasn't he gotten a chance? Barker, Brown and Bernard look like they just going thru the motions out there. There's NO FIRE in any of them. Timoteo has the best hands on the team... It's sad to see him on the sideline with not even the SLIGHTEST chance to get in the game....
If I were KALA I'd fkn bounce on Hawaii and go put up numbers with your brother in Florida...
ESPECIALLY when the game is OVER... You are going to loose... Let Timoteo and Noa get in there and give them a chance!!!

I'm OUT!!! No Wonder Chris Naeole quit this is irritating... WAKE UP ROLO!!! Look at what made the program successful and follow the blue print!!!!!!!!!

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: How Hawaii Can Return To Glory - The ONLY WAY

Post by SundayJam »

No vote. The problem here is not whether we should operate the run and shoot but whether we should have an inexperienced, first-time head coach who is just going through the motions. Gawd...I'd love to have made that kind of money to have TURNED a blind eye on a SUPER minor infraction by a BLUE chip athlete who stayed home ALA Kennedy T. I don't get all the hoopla surrounding promoting walk-ons and then celebrating the discipline of the guys in the trench.

What? It makes you a better coach to mentor guys for 2 freaking years and then tell them they can't show up for the game?!!!

In my opinion, Rolovich has failed as a head coach.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

SundayJam wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:58 am No vote. The problem here is not whether we should operate the run and shoot but whether we should have an inexperienced, first-time head coach who is just going through the motions. Gawd...I'd love to have made that kind of money to have TURNED a blind eye on a SUPER minor infraction by a BLUE chip athlete who stayed home ALA Kennedy T. I don't get all the hoopla surrounding promoting walk-ons and then celebrating the discipline of the guys in the trench.

What? It makes you a better coach to mentor guys for 2 freaking years and then tell them they can't show up for the game?!!!

In my opinion, Rolovich has failed as a head coach.
I agree with your last statement. I think he gets a "D" grade as head coach. Worse yet, in todays Star-Advertiser he says he's going to call the offensive plays as in Nevada and UNLV. The offense was anemic in those games. No third down play. I think his successful years at Hawaii (Moniz) and Nevada as OC was dependent on the QB's ability to run. Pathetic.
Last edited by shrek2 on Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

The way our receivers catch the ball we would get three and outs. Jones had some really good receivers for his run and shoot. We had Marcus last year but he is gone. We had John this year but he got injured. Right now no one else has become that go to receiver. In the last game I think every receiver had a dropped pass. I thought that our patchwork online did a pretty good job. Our defense is playing better but they are still getting gashed. I am surprised that most of the penalties are being made by seniors. I thought that they would have been better prepared and would be the ones that the younger players follow. Perhaps we are just seeing a weak senior class.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

If I recall, JJ never called it the run and shoot, he used to call it a 4 wide offense. I sure did enjoy that offense, whatever it should be called. I also remember reading about fans imploring JJ to run more, and to add a tight end. At Mouse Davis' suggestion, they added the shovel pass. At Mouse Davis' objections, JJ went to a shotgun instead of quarterback under center. JJ continually tinkered with the offense and added new wrinkles in order to confuse opposing defensive coaches. JJ almost had a 1000 yard rusher, with Nasty Nate coming up just short in 2006. JJ had a 1000 yard rusher while he was at SMU. I say give Rolo a chance to work as he has at least shown some flexibility here and there, he just needs to find the right personnel to make his offense succeed. If not, then bye bye Rolo. When JJ and Chow first came on board, they cleaned house and got rid of the players that they didn't want. Mack and Rolo chose not to clean house and to try to work with the players they had on hand. Selling their program and vision to someone else's recruits sometimes takes awhile. Mack was lucky in the sense that he was there with JJ and knew all of the players. Rolo didn't have that luxury with his group. Bear in mind that while JJ was a head coach in the NFL, he took over two programs initially as an interim head coach, and had losing records. And he was never a college head coach until Hawaii. Also, from what it sounded like regarding Kennedy, the UH admin had the ball regarding his return to the team but when he had to complete certain tasks, my guess it was possibly academic, he did not complete his requirements. If so, then that's on him, not Rolo.

And to the op, it was never proven that JJ had any relations with that woman (former volleyball player), but that a UH professor wrote a slanderous piece about it, and many people took it as fact.

https://damontucker.com/2015/11/04/lily ... legations/

http://www2.hawaii.edu/~jfischer/advertiser.html

I hope that this clears some of the air around the program. And BTW, I did not vote because the question about the run and shoot is not specific enough. JJ's continually evolving run and shoot (4 wide), or the run and shoot that Mack and Ron Lee ran, which was more true to the original run and shoot by Mouse Davis. There was a difference.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

And in addition, don't forget that UH had a ton of 3 and outs during Timmy Chang's time too. Or one and out or two and out, depending on if he threw an interception. Had plenty of those. NCAA record still stands.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

I like your info on the subject Cats. I haven't been in Hawaii for a while so its all news to me. I just heard from a friend about the affair so it was just the coconut wireless working overtime again like it does in a small town. I agree that Chang was not very good as I saw him play in San Jose and thought he choked on a lot of balls under throwing a lot of receivers. Did you think that Jones benched his star QB for Jason Wheldon to beat Alabama because of any other reason than to win? I think that Jones knew how to win. I don't feel as confident about Rolovich.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

shrek2 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:50 am I like your info on the subject Cats. I haven't been in Hawaii for a while so its all news to me. I just heard from a friend about the affair so it was just the coconut wireless working overtime again like it does in a small town. I agree that Chang was not very good as I saw him play in San Jose and thought he choked on a lot of balls under throwing a lot of receivers. Did you think that Jones benched his star QB for Jason Wheldon to beat Alabama because of any other reason than to win? I think that Jones knew how to win. I don't feel as confident about Rolovich.
I think that Jones was a really good judge of talent. We need to do a better job spotting and recruiting local talent.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

My3Cats wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:48 am And in addition, don't forget that UH had a ton of 3 and outs during Timmy Chang's time too. Or one and out or two and out, depending on if he threw an interception. Had plenty of those. NCAA record still stands.
Yep Jones himself said that it would take a season for the lights in his quarterback to go on in his system. This always worried me because if a qb was to go down we would be back to the beginning. Jones did go with a tightend/hback at SMU and would run alot when he had that transfer runningback from Bama. He also said that he had do something different or add some new things every season to keep defenses honest. Even when he left SMU he talked about wanting to try something new with his offense.

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

We have depth issues. Too many injuries to too many starters and too many freshman and sophomores in the lineup that may not have been ready for division 1. The team is only as good as it's weakest link. Better players have to compensate for the undeveloped players. As a result, they get injured. But what can you expect when Rolo's only had one really good recruiting season and a fraction of a second following Chow's departure? Chow recruited a few good players but he didn't recruit for a well-balanced team. Next season he'll have a group of redshirts ready to play and probably a couple of Juco players coming in to relieve. He's still two seasons away from building the depth the team needs in all positions to be competitive for a full season.

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Blaming a former coach is a poor excuse for failure. June when bowling with VonAppen players. Nobody complained last year about Chow's players.

Coaches take with with they have and build up players. Look at Fresno St.

Chow is old news. Time to move on

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

Nick went bowling after Chow, too... but players graduate... and just like JUNE, a bad 2nd season, as a result. Furthermore, I certainly wouldn't compare Von Appen's recruiting to that of Chow's. Von Appen was way better than Chow.

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

BigWave96744 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:47 pm Blaming a former coach is a poor excuse for failure. June when bowling with VonAppen players. Nobody complained last year about Chow's players.

Coaches take with with they have and build up players. Look at Fresno St.

Chow is old news. Time to move on
I'm in agreement with the recruits from a previous regime. Afterall, we did have a shot at Milton and there was no high pressure sales (possibly). I like your take on Fresno State because they were expected to be bottom feeders but with Jeff Tedford, who I liked at Cal (produced Aaron Rodgers), Fresno is way better this year than anyone could have predicted.

reignjah11
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
MLB: Boston Red Sox
NBA: Dallas Mavericks
NFL: New England Patriots

Post by reignjah11 »

Hawaii could start by offering that St Louis receiver! He's owning Mililani tonight!

St. Louis qb, Cordeiro looks like a good pick up for Hawaii too! Good arm and his scrambling ability is unreal.

reignjah11
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
MLB: Boston Red Sox
NBA: Dallas Mavericks
NFL: New England Patriots

Post by reignjah11 »

reignjah11 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:45 pm Hawaii could start by offering that St Louis receiver! He's owning Mililani tonight!

St. Louis qb, Cordeiro looks like a good pick up for Hawaii too! Good arm and his scrambling ability is unreal.
https://twitter.com/_moneymitch15/status/929306499679170560 :wink: