What is Rolo looking for in a QB?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
BigWave96744

What is Rolo looking for in a QB?

Post by BigWave96744 »

When Rolo became the OC under Mac, Rolo was looking for big tall pocket QBs like Greg Alexander, Brent Rauch type. Yet the best QB he had was a 5th string dual threat walkon Bryant Moniz.

Later years had him playing another walkon Shane Austin.

Fast forward to year 2 as HC, Dru, the 2 Coles and Tuileta, Greenley, Uahinui are all Rolo recruits, yet those who go to practice says Dru is miles ahead of everyone, thus why he plays the whole game.

It's damn scary to think that many think current HS QBs Moussa and Cordeiro may challenge to start in 2018.

What kind of QB's are we looking for?

BigWave96744

Re: What is Rolo looking for in a QB?

Post by BigWave96744 »

Did you also know Dru Brown ran the Triple Option at his JC?

football
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by football »

Dru Brown was never a pocket passer. Why are they forcing him to be a drop back pocket passer? Seems last year he was more of a roll out type of guy, pass run option. Use the skills he has, don't force him to be what he is not.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

football wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:32 am Dru Brown was never a pocket passer. Why are they forcing him to be a drop back pocket passer? Seems last year he was more of a roll out type of guy, pass run option. Use the skills he has, don't force him to be what he is not.
I agree. He struggles in the pocket. He also is not selling the option. It most often just looks like a handoff. Teams just need to key on St Juste and play the percentages. I thought Dru was fast but he sure runs slow. He gets caught from behind a lot. One reason he fumbles.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

RedZone wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:20 pm
football wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:32 am Dru Brown was never a pocket passer. Why are they forcing him to be a drop back pocket passer? Seems last year he was more of a roll out type of guy, pass run option. Use the skills he has, don't force him to be what he is not.
I agree. He struggles in the pocket. He also is not selling the option. It most often just looks like a handoff. Teams just need to key on St Juste and play the percentages. I thought Dru was fast but he sure runs slow. He gets caught from behind a lot. One reason he fumbles.
He struggles when he throws on the run too. Seems like he's off this year.
ImageImage

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

BigWave96744 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:33 am When Rolo became the OC under Mac, Rolo was looking for big tall pocket QBs like Greg Alexander, Brent Rauch type. Yet the best QB he had was a 5th string dual threat walkon Bryant Moniz.

Later years had him playing another walkon Shane Austin.

Fast forward to year 2 as HC, Dru, the 2 Coles and Tuileta, Greenley, Uahinui are all Rolo recruits, yet those who go to practice says Dru is miles ahead of everyone, thus why he plays the whole game.

It's damn scary to think that many think current HS QBs Moussa and Cordeiro may challenge to start in 2018.

What kind of QB's are we looking for?
I hope the new recruits are good enough to offer a challenge. Only two of the guys you listed are on scholarship. The rest are walkons and Greeley did move to TE.
ImageImage

go bows
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by go bows »

Ursua makes DB look decent. Takeaway Ursua and DB's limitations surface -- lack of height and inability to consistently read progressions.

IMO the ideal qb for this system is Kapernick. Long and athletic with the ability to run and stand in the pocket. Mcdonald physically meets the criteria but is untested in game situations.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

go bows wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:26 am Ursua makes DB look decent. Takeaway Ursua and DB's limitations surface -- lack of height and inability to consistently read progressions.

IMO the ideal qb for this system is Kapernick. Long and athletic with the ability to run and stand in the pocket. Mcdonald physically meets the criteria but is untested in game situations.
Hawaii has been developing quarterbacks lately. We see more schools on the mainland grabbing them. When the SEC comes looking then you know we have the talent here. We just have to recruit harder.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

A miracle?

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Dru still has a redshirt year.
I wouldn't mind seeing Rolo go hard for a top rated JC or D1 transfer QB, even if one and done.

Heck even promise the guy he would have top dibs to start in 2018 if he proves his worth in spring camp. If the guy pans out then redshirt Dru. In 2019 if he still beats out Dru we have a solid backup.

Going for just HS QBs is all but handing Dru the Keys to the Castle.

Our program cannot go through another set of doldrums seasons

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

BigWave96744 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:54 pm Dru still has a redshirt year.
I wouldn't mind seeing Rolo go hard for a top rated JC or D1 transfer QB, even if one and done.

Heck even promise the guy he would have top dibs to start in 2018 if he proves his worth in spring camp. If the guy pans out then redshirt Dru. In 2019 if he still beats out Dru we have a solid backup.

Going for just HS QBs is all but handing Dru the Keys to the Castle.

Our program cannot go through another set of doldrums seasons
The problem I have with our present situation is that Dru has been getting almost all of the reps in games. We really have no one with real game experience should Dru go down. Past experience has shown me that we need at least 2 quarterbacks to get thru the season.

go bows
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by go bows »

RedZone wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:34 pm
go bows wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:26 am Ursua makes DB look decent. Takeaway Ursua and DB's limitations surface -- lack of height and inability to consistently read progressions.

Hawaii has been developing quarterbacks lately. We see more schools on the mainland grabbing them. When the SEC comes looking then you know we have the talent here. We just have to recruit harder.
Rolo blew it on MM. Now look -- the nation's number one qbr rated qb. Finalist for a prestigious award.

Rolo failed to provide the proper recruiting attention.

Good recruiter -- hogwash. Unable to recruit a single local player last year.

Reports of a typical haole snake -- remains a DONKEY.

Old Diver
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Old Diver »

Accuracy

wailukuwarriorfan
Starter
Starter

Post by wailukuwarriorfan »

A Dual Threat QB, that can run his read option. Give Cole MacDonald more meaningful reps and allow him to pass. Sharing reps with Cole will allow Dru to work through his challenges and give him time to process what is not working. Both can play in game time.