bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Dodgers
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Vikings

Bench Drew Brown

Post by bigislandkurt »

Would Rolo? Could Rolo? Should Rolo......pull his boy?
Friendship is Essential to the Soul

WarriorTyme
Play Maker
Play Maker

Re: Bench Drew Brown

Post by WarriorTyme »

These are the times Hawaii AD Matlin might be wishing he hired (The experienced proven Head Coach that knows how to turn around losing programs) June Jones instead of (The young sexy hired with no head coaching experience (Chow also had no head coaching experience) Rolo). Matlin should have hired June Jones and encourage June to hire Rolo as the coach in waiting and groom him up. I'm not saying fire Rolo, but if the run, run, run, punt offense continues maybe Hawaii can draw Jone Junes from the CFL and keep Rolo as his head assistant coach in waiting.

ono
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by ono »

I don't think Rolo is the problem per say. I do agree he may need to make changes. I would love to hear from posters what changes.

go bows
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by go bows »

YES. Mcdonald with more spread/read option plays. More power running formations.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

I wouldn't bench him. Most of the offense was a hand off to GSJ...who was promptly stuffed by SDSU linemen.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

WarriorTyme wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:02 am These are the times Hawaii AD Matlin might be wishing he hired (The experienced proven Head Coach that knows how to turn around losing programs) June Jones instead of (The young sexy hired with no head coaching experience (Chow also had no head coaching experience) Rolo). Matlin should have hired June Jones and encourage June to hire Rolo as the coach in waiting and groom him up. I'm not saying fire Rolo, but if the run, run, run, punt offense continues maybe Hawaii can draw Jone Junes from the CFL and keep Rolo as his head assistant coach in waiting.
Yup, Jones would not be afraid of benching his QB. He did that with the his CFL team as soon as he became head coach. Winning is more important than hurting somebody's feelings.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

shrek2 wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:00 am
WarriorTyme wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:02 am These are the times Hawaii AD Matlin might be wishing he hired (The experienced proven Head Coach that knows how to turn around losing programs) June Jones instead of (The young sexy hired with no head coaching experience (Chow also had no head coaching experience) Rolo). Matlin should have hired June Jones and encourage June to hire Rolo as the coach in waiting and groom him up. I'm not saying fire Rolo, but if the run, run, run, punt offense continues maybe Hawaii can draw Jone Junes from the CFL and keep Rolo as his head assistant coach in waiting.
Yup, Jones would not be afraid of benching his QB. He did that with the his CFL team as soon as he became head coach. Winning is more important than hurting somebody's feelings.
He would also stick with QB’s after multiple missed passes and interceptions. For JJ I think it was about learning his system. If he felt you fit the system and you and the receivers were a work in progress, he would tell you to keep throwing the rock until you get it right.

This team needs to start gunslinging.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Unfortunately, Brown is not the answer at gunslinging. But at this rate, we'll never know if McDonald or Brownholtz can do it either - because they no get opportunity. Worse yet, if in practice they haven't shown that they CAN gunsling. Somebody's got to be a gunslinger on the team - Tuileta? Four games left in the season.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

Parkpill
Starter
Starter
NBA: Sixers
NFL: Browns

Post by Parkpill »

IMO, Dru doesn't have the skill set to run the type of offense we're running. It's a read option, and he rarely pulls the ball to run. He isn't really fast, nor is his arm very strong. How bad must the backups be to not even sniff the field?

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Post by stranger808 »

Dru/the offense would be more effective if he read the DE and pulled the ball when the DE crashes like he supposed to instead of just handing the ball off. I'm not sure if he's told to just hand it off or what, but many times early in the game he should have pulled the ball and ran. If Dru did that, it would have opened it up more for DSJ. In other games, I mentioned that I thought he decides before the ball is snapped if he will pull it. I think I was correct in my assumption. The game plan stunk, IMO. No imagination, creativity, counters, etc... DSJ was a sitting duck and the O coaches did nothing to help, game plan wise. SMH. The coaches act like we're Alabama and can just hand it off and bowl people over. Most of this is on the poor game plan, poor coaching. Sorry, frustration rant....I'm okay now. :-P

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

When he is given the time and the receiver is open he needs to make the connection. He doesn’t have Kemp anymore. Kemp made up for Dru’s inaccurate passes. He doesn’t have Ursua too. With John all he had to do was throw short passes and John would take over with his feet. The thing that really bothers me is his inability to connect on the deep ball. A one point in the game SDSU had nine players within 10 yards of the los. Bernard has shown the ability to go deep but Dru was only able to connect on one deep ball over the middle. Interceptions have taken their toll. At the beginning of the game he was throwing the ball short of his receivers on out patterns. Right now he has that ball stuck to hand problem. I can only think that he does not trust his receivers or his receivers can’t get open.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Coach doesn’t have to bench Brown. He could go with 2 quarterbacks. This far in the season I would think all of our quarterbacks can handoff the ball. We need to give other teams different looks. They are already wise to what we are going to do. Same, same won’t win games.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

We are too predictable. DSJ rushed 17 times for 40 yards. DSJ caught 3/4 passes for 10 yards. Brown was sacked 3 times. No other running back touched the ball for Hawaii. Our only touch down was a run from Brown...which was uncharacteristic. I also saw crossing routes on the one scoring drive we had. Otherwise it was either long bombs or dumps. That backwards pass to the tight end should have been a fumble.

Dunno...with my limited understanding...it seems a mystery as to how a former offensive lineman for Hawaii is calling the shots on offense.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

SundayJam wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:58 pm We are too predictable. DSJ rushed 17 times for 40 yards. DSJ caught 3/4 passes for 10 yards. Brown was sacked 3 times. No other running back touched the ball for Hawaii. Our only touch down was a run from Brown...which was uncharacteristic. I also saw crossing routes on the one scoring drive we had. Otherwise it was either long bombs or dumps. That backwards pass to the tight end should have been a fumble.

Dunno...with my limited understanding...it seems a mystery as to how a former offensive lineman for Hawaii is calling the shots on offense.
Brown was able to score the touchdown because the defense collapsed on Dioceme when they faked the handoff.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

RedZone wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:02 pm Brown was able to score the touchdown because the defense collapsed on Dioceme when they faked the handoff.
So...all that set up for one play...in the whole game?!!!!