Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Cowboys

Re: Hard to watch UH languish

Post by Palolo_2LA »

passepartout wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:25 pm It will take time to recruit better players on O and D. But there are changes that need to happen now or after the season. Better coaches, teachers, mentors, motivators, recruiters. Also on the now list is game adjustments, there seems to be some movement in game adjustments but we still have big problems on defense. And that's on the coaches.
Many problems are coaching and mentoring related. On adjustments front, I have not seen much in game or week to week.
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers

Post by Palolo_2LA »

Yup...same MO...ppl are more lenient with Rolo bc he's a former player and OC. Where are the in game and week to week changes? Doesn't seem to be much strategy changes applied. Question is if that is bc the coaches can't couch or the players can't play or a combo? #dazedandconfused
[/quote]
Maybe Rolo gets more leeway because he has won as many games in 1.5 years as Chow won in 4. Rolo's record as HC 10-11. Chow's 10-36. Maybe if Rolo went 0-25 and ended up with the same record as Chow, he'll suffer the same fate.
[/quote]

Most of those wins are against $hitty teams, so I don't place much credence on 10 wins for Rolo. Plus, most were coin flips that UH could have lost , but the ball bounced UH's way. Chow's teams didn't get the lucky breaks.

My view is strictly based on what I have seen on O and D...very limited and not a winning strategy. I mean a local all star HS team from Hawaii would get 500 yards against this D.
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

Irse
MLB: Cubs

Post by Irse »

Palolo_2LA wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:58 am Yup...same MO...ppl are more lenient with Rolo bc he's a former player and OC. Where are the in game and week to week changes? Doesn't seem to be much strategy changes applied. Question is if that is bc the coaches can't couch or the players can't play or a combo? #dazedandconfused
Maybe Rolo gets more leeway because he has won as many games in 1.5 years as Chow won in 4. Rolo's record as HC 10-11. Chow's 10-36. Maybe if Rolo went 0-25 and ended up with the same record as Chow, he'll suffer the same fate.
[/quote]

Most of those wins are against $hitty teams, so I don't place much credence on 10 wins for Rolo. Plus, most were coin flips that UH could have lost , but the ball bounced UH's way. Chow's teams didn't get the lucky breaks.

My view is strictly based on what I have seen on O and D...very limited and not a winning strategy. I mean a local all star HS team from Hawaii would get 500 yards against this D.
[/quote]
And Chow didn't get most of his wins against shitty teams? He got more wins against FCS schools than Rolo has. Haven't looked at his other wins but I don't recall many being against good competition. Maybe only the Colorado win.
ImageImage

Irse
MLB: Cubs

Post by Irse »

Just for comparison, Chow's first two year wins
Lamar (FCS)
UNLV (2-11)
South Alabama (2-11)
Army (2-10)
ImageImage

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Dru is a serviceable quarterback and so far no one on the roster has been able to beat him out, at least in practice. Cordeiro and Moussa should be happy to get a chance to compete next year and maybe one of them will be the answer. Would still love to see Holly get some touches to be a change of pace back, and Ito if ever UH gets an insurmountable lead or deficit. Neat to see Ito be the safety when they were in the victory formation. At least he gets to be listed on the participation chart!
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

Palolo_2LA wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:49 am Being on ESPN other channels requires winning, so that will take time.
Tell that to BYU.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

Palolo_2LA wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:51 amThose stats are padded against $hitty opponents. DSJ is a good back, but he's not elite. Ursua is an elite SB.
DSJ's stat lines against PAC 12 opponents:
2016 Cal - 14 carries, 118 yards, 8.4 avg, long of 53
2017 UCLA - 27 carries, 154 yards, 5.7 avg, long of 66

Elite or not, DSJ running the ball is a beautiful thing. I can see spreading the carries around more, but I have no problem with the amount of running plays called. I think there are many other problems that are way worse than the offensive philosophy at the moment.

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Post by stranger808 »

poidog wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:25 am
Palolo_2LA wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:51 amThose stats are padded against $hitty opponents. DSJ is a good back, but he's not elite. Ursua is an elite SB.
DSJ's stat lines against PAC 12 opponents:
2016 Cal - 14 carries, 118 yards, 8.4 avg, long of 53
2017 UCLA - 27 carries, 154 yards, 5.7 avg, long of 66

Elite or not, DSJ running the ball is a beautiful thing. I can see spreading the carries around more, but I have no problem with the amount of running plays called. I think there are many other problems that are way worse than the offensive philosophy at the moment.
DSJ reminds me of the Atlanta Falcons, Devonte Freeman.

whirlygig5
High-quality H20 provider

Post by whirlygig5 »

"Crappy O and swiss cheese D means loses against any decent foe. A high powered O give UH a chance to win."

i agree, go call june haha and let start all over again

passepartout
NFL: Americas team

Post by passepartout »

Get the defensive issues fixed and this thread is irrelevant, we be winning some games!

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

passepartout wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:46 pm Get the defensive issues fixed and this thread is irrelevant, we be winning some games!
exactly. we stop nitpicking the offense if the defense wasn't so bad.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

If our offense would convert in the redzone, we beat Wyoming and Nevada.

whirlygig5

Post by whirlygig5 »

passepartout wrote: ↑Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:46 pm
Get the defensive issues fixed and this thread is irrelevant, we be winning some games!

YES!!!!!!! thank you, thank you

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

SOS!!!
Puka in the defense
Bad special teams
Forcing the run when it's not working
Bad decisions by Dru

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

BigWave96744 wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:34 pm SOS!!!
Puka in the defense
Bad special teams
Forcing the run when it's not working
Bad decisions by Dru
Had he made the long throws it could have been a different game. The flea flicker was there. Over thrown. Bernard was open deep. Over thrown. Passes early in the game into the turf. He doesn’t have Kemp to jump up and make those plays. He doesn’t have Ursua to make plays with his legs. He has to be more accurate.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1: