Practice does not make perfect

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
Old Diver
All-conference
All-conference

Practice does not make perfect

Post by Old Diver »

Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect. - Vince Lombardi. Mistakes during the game are attributable to less than perfect practices. The obvious fix is to fix practices which is the responsibility of the head coach. Off the field indiscretions is caused by players lacking respect for the coaches. The obvious fix is for coaches to correct their behavior and earn the respect of the players. Neither of these problems will be solved by running laps. Want to make things worse? Blame the players.

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Cowboys

Re: Practice does not make perfect

Post by Palolo_2LA »

Here are the hard facts:
1) To many personal fouls by the same players and too many penalties in general. When does this BS end? #60 and #50 might need to sit!
2) A run first O that is also predictable and in some cases the OC calls boneheaded plays (i.e.) fake punt on 4th and 29 @ UCLA or QB draw on 3rd and 9 @ Nevada. That's a coaching issue.
3) The D is out of position, huge holes in coverage, bad tackling and half hearted effort. The DC is responsible for most of these issues. They need to find the players with passion to compete. Tons of arm tackles and not swarming to the ball illustrates a morale issue. When are adjustments coming personal wise?
4) When do they give another QB a chance? Brown under throws a bunch, is inaccurate, stares down WRs and there are a bunch of point left on field bc of his shortcomings #FreeLarryTuileta
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Palolo_2LA wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:30 am Here are the hard facts:
1) To many personal fouls by the same players and too many penalties in general. When does this BS end? #60 and #50 might need to sit!
2) A run first O that is also predictable and in some cases the OC calls boneheaded plays (i.e.) fake punt on 4th and 29 @ UCLA or QB draw on 3rd and 9 @ Nevada. That's a coaching issue.
3) The D is out of position, huge holes in coverage, bad tackling and half hearted effort. The DC is responsible for most of these issues. They need to find the players with passion to compete. Tons of arm tackles and not swarming to the ball illustrates a morale issue. When are adjustments coming personal wise?
4) When do they give another QB a chance? Brown under throws a bunch, is inaccurate, stares down WRs and there are a bunch of point left on field bc of his shortcomings #FreeLarryTuileta
The OC does not call the plays on punting situations. It would be the special teams coordinator but normally the head coach would have to make the call. It could also be that the punter chose to do it too. Other than that I kind of agree with your other points.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

Old Diver wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:25 am The obvious fix is for coaches to correct their behavior and earn the respect of the players.
Ok but how

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Old Diver wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:25 am Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect. - Vince Lombardi. Mistakes during the game are attributable to less than perfect practices. The obvious fix is to fix practices which is the responsibility of the head coach. Off the field indiscretions is caused by players lacking respect for the coaches. The obvious fix is for coaches to correct their behavior and earn the respect of the players. Neither of these problems will be solved by running laps. Want to make things worse? Blame the players.
Great post.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

Old Diver wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:25 am Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect. - Vince Lombardi. Mistakes during the game are attributable to less than perfect practices. The obvious fix is to fix practices which is the responsibility of the head coach. Off the field indiscretions is caused by players lacking respect for the coaches. The obvious fix is for coaches to correct their behavior and earn the respect of the players. Neither of these problems will be solved by running laps. Want to make things worse? Blame the players.
Totally agree. Try to blame on the players by jokingly saying their going to have their stipend money (small as it is) taken away is no joke.

Old Diver
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Old Diver »

Neighbor wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:56 pm
Old Diver wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:25 am The obvious fix is for coaches to correct their behavior and earn the respect of the players.
Ok but how
The best way to gain respect from anyone is to take responsibility for one's actions. When a coaches takes that responsibility they receive respect from the players. When players takes that responsibility they receive respect from the coach. Create an atmosphere where everyone is able to own responsibility and respect will flourish.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Old Diver wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:38 am
Neighbor wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:56 pm
Ok but how
The best way to gain respect from anyone is to take responsibility for one's actions. When a coaches takes that responsibility they receive respect from the players. When players takes that responsibility they receive respect from the coach. Create an atmosphere where everyone is able to own responsibility and respect will flourish.
I think that last year they were lucky to have RJ Hollis where he was the team leader in spirit and doing the right thing. Also, Makani was a good spiritual leader on the defensive side of the ball. I don't see the same kind of camaraderie because they are lacking those true leadership qualities.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nklmgXtl8oM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcLaGSZhCDM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiW0svEle_c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j15W_KdHnCY

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

I've said it on other threads...coach has gotta adjust. He's gotta have that I've got it moment as a head coach. I don't think this thing is irreversible. We'll see.

Mr.EDGE808
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Mr.EDGE808 »

SundayJam wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:35 am
Great post.
+1...well said Old Diver....
Because in my mind,it's always clear...evil thoughts that twist my mind into despair- Iron Maiden

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

I wonder when the coaches are going to stop having to rely on past leaders to make them play inspired football? Maybe the coaches are too close as a group to get to the kids level of getting of thinking.
http://www.hawaiiwarriorworld.com/footb ... spiration/

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Sad that last year's leaders Kory Rasmussen & Makani Kema-Kaleiwahea were D1 Transfers and not original recruits.

This year Posa is vocal and another D1 Transfer

We need the 4th and 5th year guys to step up and get some of the team in line

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Whenever you have a divorce in a family, you sometimes have kids acting out. That's why I maintain that it doesn't matter who walks out, its always a better thing to say good things about the other parent or in this case the other coach. When the season is said and done with, then you express your personal feelings. At this point I believe its hard on the kids and it may not have been a coincidence that Dejon Allen was hurt during the CSU game and the penalties by the offensive line during the Nevada game was plentiful. IMHO, Rolo should have said that he still loved Naeole, so to speak.