Defense

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Defense

Post by My3Cats »

566 yards of total offense plus 114 yards of Hawaii penalties gave Nevada 680 yards for the game. 'Nuff said.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

amela
High-quality H20 provider

Post by amela »

BigWave96744 wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:37 pm - 4 plays 96 yard TD
- 99 yards on what 6 plays, TD
Everyone's blitzing but still getting blocked so only 3 guys defending on the back side.

passepartout
NFL: Americas team

Post by passepartout »

Enough with the first year HC. Rolo's inexperience is showing as a HC. He should've never hired a DC with no experience, because opposing OC's have adjusted to his half dozen schemes. After suffering thru Chow we do not need a OJT DC. Use your goddamn brains and spend the money needed to get an EXPERIENCED DC, not someone who enamors you with their work ethic etc. etc, but someone who actually has DC experience and can scheme to confuse. Cause Legi ain't got it. And Nevada just proved it. So the game okole goes to Rolo for a bad hire, and Legi who is in over his head. :bootyshake:

passepartout
NFL: Americas team

Post by passepartout »

ulua wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:52 pm Please DC step down as soon as the 4th quarter ends
We will not win another game except for SJSU. Opposing OC's have already figured out Legi's elementary defensive schemes. He is a first year DC. Get someone else in there or we're done. Rolo is going to have to put on his big boy BVD's and have Legi removed, he hired him in the first place.

ulua
All-American
All-American
MLB: Marlins
NFL: Panthers

Post by ulua »

watching the Rolo show now and seems like he putting the blame on the players and not on him and the coaches

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

Looking at the lack of production from the defense, it looks like we lost too much talent last year and lack of recruiting by Chow in addition to Rolo going with freshmen instead of JCs, we have a gap in talent.

Defensive linemen
We lost to PAC 12 caliber linemen in Makani (Arizona State) and Kody (Colorado) to graduation. We also lost another guy who would be starting in Ka'au. We should be replacing them with redshirt seniors, juniors and sophomores if Chow was recruiting properly. The only redshirt seniors, juniors and sophomores we have are Meffy, David Manoa, Eldridge (still suspended?), Kiko, Akoteu, Manly Williams and former walkon Zeno. That is 6 guys in three classes. With Rolo going more with high school seniors instead of JC players, we have a bunch of talented guys who are not quite ready to contribute but not enough ready guys. I like the idea of going with high school seniors instead of always hitting the JC but it can result in a gap where the talent is just not there.

Linebackers
That is our strong point but if the defensive linemen can't keep the offensive linemen off of the LBers, the LBers will be overmatched.

Defensive backs
Kind of the same issue with the defensive line. We have Travon and Daniel at safety that are upper classmen but that's about it. We had Jalen, Dejuan, and Jamal all grad last year. All three JC guys. We do have Ro Farris and Cameron Hayes who was recruited by Chow but that's about it. 4 players for 4 positions in three years worth of recruiting. Again we're bringing in more FR (with Manu being the exception) instead of JCs.

I do feel like recruiting high schoolers is a better way of building a program but when you go from JCs to high school seniors there will be about a two year gap of talent deficiency especially when the previous staff didn't recruit well in the first place. I do hope we add in a few more JC players this year and hope they will be ready to contribute next year or next year's defense may not be a whole lot better.

BTW, this is just me being my over analytical self. The D still just frustrates me and if we don't do some changes in schemes, then we could lose all of next games.
ImageImage

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

On our linebackers. Too slow. Can't see the play developing. Some linebackers can see thru mass of bodies and seem to be a radar guided missle to runningbacks. Ours appear to need an upgrade. Yes they will make some plays but they need to be more consistent. They are not playing smart right now.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Our defensive schemes suck. I don't get it. I don't think the players get it too. I also thought Abe was a better db coach than I am seeing right now. Our dbs are just making it too easy for our opponents. I knew we would fall in this area when Lempa left but this is really bad. It has nothing to do with playing hard. We just are not using good smart technique.

Overall our defense just looks unprepared.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Oregon St HC Gary Anderson stepped down
He was once a hot commodity at Utah St, then Wisconsin and finally at OSU.

His DC at Wisconsin was Dave Aranda and at OSU former Hawaii DC Kevin Clune.

At OSU maybe his DC was the reason for the lack of success, no? Right HC, wrong DC????

http://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/index ... ut_as.html

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

ulua wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:44 pm Was Abe a DC before? if so maybe he should step in and give it a shot can't get any worse at this point
I think Abe took over DC duties after Mason left. I was not impressed but still it was the end of a very bad season. I am not liking how our dbs are playing. To me that would be on the coaches.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

BigWave96744 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:29 am Oregon St HC Gary Anderson stepped down
He was once a hot commodity at Utah St, then Wisconsin and finally at OSU.

His DC at Wisconsin was Dave Aranda and at OSU former Hawaii DC Kevin Clune.

At OSU maybe his DC was the reason for the lack of success, no? Right HC, wrong DC????

http://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/index ... ut_as.html
Holy crap. Rolo should call Anderson and bring him in to help out with the defense.

go bows
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by go bows »

The biggest issue imo is the defense is overly aggressive. Too much man to man and blitzing.

Stay in Cover 2 with a bend but do not break mentality. Try to keep everything in front of you.

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Dodgers
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Vikings

Post by bigislandkurt »

My3Cats wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:38 am Lack of depth, suspensions, players kicked off the team and injuries to front line players. Then you add in a new DC who is trying to find out what works with the personnel that he has left.
This is the truth. Folks seem to take this "next man up" thing like we are florida state or Alabama. In Hawaii, there is a huge drop off between the 1's, 2's and 3's. Add to the fact that Legi is a rookie DC. = struggle.
Friendship is Essential to the Soul

go bows
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by go bows »

bigislandkurt wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:01 pm
My3Cats wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:38 am Lack of depth, suspensions, players kicked off the team and injuries to front line players. Then you add in a new DC who is trying to find out what works with the personnel that he has left.
This is the truth. Folks seem to take this "next man up" thing like we are florida state or Alabama. In Hawaii, there is a huge drop off between the 1's, 2's and 3's. Add to the fact that Legi is a rookie DC. = struggle.
Agree -- depth is an issue. Front line players are legit MWC players.

Its up to the staff to figure out schemes that max the talent level. Obviously over blitzing and man to man defense is not working :o

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

I think that they don't have the right DC in place as well. There is no disguise to UH's coverage and they are a 60% blitz team. All the QB has to do is look at the lineup and he knows whether there is a rush or not and where its coming from and who will be wide open. As far Rolo blaming the players, I think its time he take full responsibility for the team. And, they should really consider cutting his contract short of the 4 years if he cannot produce.