Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Cowboys

Adding OC to Rolo's job description

Post by Palolo_2LA »

The reality is that Rolo is a proven OC, but he wrongly deferred to his college roommate B Smith and former UH WR C Stutzman. The system currently implemented is an RPO with smatterings of 4 wide. IMO UH does not and will not have the horses to be effective with this offense long term and against better competition. You need a multi talented QB, elite speed @ WR, shifty RBs and athletic OL. By the looks of the roster, UH is obviously far from having those types of players and has never had steady high grade talent across the board.

Therefore, the RNS, Air Raid, Spread is where we can be successful bc the offense creates the open WRs and doesn't depend on the WRs beating the DB. The WRs route tree is wide open and dependent on the coverage and not like the current offense of running predetermined routes. Rolo was successful @ UH already when he ran the offense and his system was more high powered. Lastly, that D looked horrific and will that type of turnstile defensive play UH needs a high output offense.
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

Old Diver
All-conference
All-conference

Re: Adding OC to Rolo's job description

Post by Old Diver »

This is Rolo’s offense. Rolo wants a balanced offense and is not interested in a spread formation passing attack. Changing OC’s won’t change that.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

Is he a proven OC? The fact is that this offense has only two playmakers in Ursua and Saint Juste. Do you guys not remember the 2011 season? I remember everyone was complaining about the offense. That was after losing a bunch of NFL-caliber players. Rolo's offense and really I think anyone's offense is gonna struggle when you don't have playmakers.

Irse
MLB: Cubs

Post by Irse »

Saint Juste is our best offensive player so they need to use him. I think the O will be fine. They added new things and I don't think Dru is comfortable with them yet. I'm more worried about our D.
ImageImage

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Palolo_2LA »

Old Diver wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:09 pm This is Rolo’s offense. Rolo wants a balanced offense and is not interested in a spread formation passing attack. Changing OC’s won’t change that.
This is definitely not his offense. He distinctly stated time and time again, this offense is installed bc of personnel. Brain Smith calls the plays and I contend Rolo needs to lean more on the the RnS concepts of a large WR route tree as the WRs on the roster are not able to get open on predetermined route. Exception might be Ursua.
Last edited by Palolo_2LA on Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Palolo_2LA »

Neighbor wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:54 am Is he a proven OC? The fact is that this offense has only two playmakers in Ursua and Saint Juste. Do you guys not remember the 2011 season? I remember everyone was complaining about the offense. That was after losing a bunch of NFL-caliber players. Rolo's offense and really I think anyone's offense is gonna struggle when you don't have playmakers.
Yes...his O was more consistent and UH scored. 30 passing TDs is better than the current output. Not running into the DL 3x in a row. Hawaii needs a gimmick offense ; RnS or options bc they lack the ability to land the top tier recruits.

Old Diver
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Old Diver »

Palolo_2LA wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:11 pm
Old Diver wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:09 pm This is Rolo’s offense. Rolo wants a balanced offense and is not interested in a spread formation passing attack. Changing OC’s won’t change that.
This is definitely not he offense. He distinctly stated time and time again, this offense is installed bc of personnel. Brain Smith calls the plays and I contend Rolo needs to lean more on the the RnS concepts of a large WR route tree as the WRs on the roster are not able to get open on predetermined route. Exception might be Ursua.
On his show Rolo was critical of his R & S mentality during the McMackin years. Rolo wants a balanced offense.

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Palolo_2LA »

Old Diver wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:49 pm
This is definitely not he offense. He distinctly stated time and time again, this offense is installed bc of personnel. Brain Smith calls the plays and I contend Rolo needs to lean more on the the RnS concepts of a large WR route tree as the WRs on the roster are not able to get open on predetermined route. Exception might be Ursua.
On his show Rolo was critical of his R & S mentality during the McMackin years. Rolo wants a balanced offense.
It is my understanding that the run more mentality is B Smith's view and Rolo might agree to an extent...However, this balanced O is anemic and not on par with the RnS. Also, adding RnS concepts is better than running DSJ straight into the DL or running a belly dive 3x in a row. I mean my mom could call the plays since they are so vanilla and one dimensional (Run on 1st and 2nd and pass on third with WRs running 3 yard routes then Run on 1st, throw a bomb on 2nd and short passes on 3rd then repeat. Hard to disagree with that reality. Rolo will not last if this is the O he sticks with IMO and I would not have supported him if I knew he was going more down Chow's path than JJ's. #disappointed #halfa$$offense

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Palolo_2LA »

Perhaps with B Smith coaching the OL, Rolo gets his hands back on the controls? #wishing

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Rolo needs to be a head coach. Every head coach pays attention to either the defense or the offense...but they let the coordinator run the show. Both coordinators are new to the job and are surviving. I'm more concerned with these disciplinary actions of holding players from crucial games and yet the team still acts like a bunch of undisciplined babies on the field. Who's running the show?!!!

amela
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by amela »

Palolo_2LA wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:25 pm
Old Diver wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:49 pm

It is my understanding that the run more mentality is B Smith's view and Rolo might agree to an extent...However, this balanced O is anemic and not on par with the RnS. Also, adding RnS concepts is better than running DSJ straight into the DL or running a belly dive 3x in a row. I mean my mom could call the plays since they are so vanilla and one dimensional (Run on 1st and 2nd and pass on third with WRs running 3 yard routes then Run on 1st, throw a bomb on 2nd and short passes on 3rd then repeat. Hard to disagree with that reality. Rolo will not last if this is the O he sticks with IMO and I would not have supported him if I knew he was going more down Chow's path than JJ's. #disappointed #halfa$$offense
I don't know why we need more passing, the running game is beautiful. Wait till Holly, Reed and Keliiliki get a chance to run the ball, wow! Fix the defense and don't be so aggressive it ain't working.

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Palolo_2LA »

[/quote]

I don't know why we need more passing, the running game is beautiful. Wait till Holly, Reed and Keliiliki get a chance to run the ball, wow! Fix the defense and don't be so aggressive it ain't working.
[/quote]

Like I said...this is about productivity and the fact that UH doesn't have the horses to run this O effectively. UH needs a gimmick O like the triple option, RNS, etc. Did you see how tentative DSJ has been lately? He's definitely not hitting the hole hard bc he's been nailed all season.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

IMHO the offensive personnel that Rolo and Smith have to work with are more conducive to the running game and not a run and shoot. This being a result of having holdover players. Both Rolo and Smith had expressed that they prefer a more balanced offense. I'm fine with that because they don't have the speedster wide receivers that are needed for a run and shoot yet. St Juste has been looking to pick his holes and when he finds one, that's when he accelerates through. He could have had 300+ yards against Nevada if it wasn't for Dejon's holding before the half, which IMHO was a bogus call by the refs. The replay looked clean. Nevada players held worse throughout the game.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

I have little to complain about the offense. The players are shooting themselves in the foot more than the play calls. Our sucky defense makes our offense look worse than it is. With SJ we need to run the ball. With a player like that you design your plays around him. Throw in Ursua and we have the tools to give other teams the fits. Our quarterback is not playing smart right now. I saw SJ open in the flat wide open. The closest defender was about 10 yards away. Our qb stood in the pocket staring down a receiver never looking in SJs direction. He just held on to the ball and took the sack. He really really holds on to the ball a really long time. You can do that at practice but during game time it is suicide.

I have been watching Milton playing at Central Florida. He has a really quick release and is very accurate. To bad he chose to leave.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Ha, ha. Rolo has said that He did the play calling this game. Smith was working with the oline.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1: