Adding OC to Rolo's job description

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Re: Adding OC to Rolo's job description

Post by cabanalane »

Like Chow, Rolo is probably one of the finest OC, and should stay that way. Not everyone is HC material. That's not a knock at all. On the flip side, one can be a bad coach and a good HC. HC have to deal with soap in the shower. There is no time for football. Hire the best people for the job. Rolo is one of the best OC.

If Chow never took the UH job, his status would be legendary. Instead, Chow sucked is how we are going to remember the old man. Same with Rolo, I think. True, what is life if one don't try and get out of the comfort zone.

Like our own jobs, being the Boss is sometimes overrated. Be good at what you do, instead.

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Palolo_2LA »

cabanalane wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:29 pm Like Chow, Rolo is probably one of the finest OC, and should stay that way. Not everyone is HC material. That's not a knock at all. On the flip side, one can be a bad coach and a good HC. HC have to deal with soap in the shower. There is no time for football. Hire the best people for the job. Rolo is one of the best OC.

If Chow never took the UH job, his status would be legendary. Instead, Chow sucked is how we are going to remember the old man. Same with Rolo, I think. True, what is life if one don't try and get out of the comfort zone.

Like our own jobs, being the Boss is sometimes overrated. Be good at what you do, instead.
Exactly. I am a Director of Client Services for a large company and see many ppl evaluate to executive management who are great at their job , but not management material. Many fans, alumni and the community were on board with Rolo's hiring bc he's a UH guy, but that's not enough. In the corporate world, you never get hired for a management job you have never done bc you have no track record of success. I hope Rolo can turn thing around, but his OC and DC are not going to help him bc they lack the needed experience and his loyalty to them maybe his downfall. Learning on the job comes with tons of risks for the company and in the case the FB team.
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

go bows
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by go bows »

No. Its a complicated offense.

Rolo needs to focus on being a hc and stop being a donkey :-

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

Palolo_2LA wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:44 am
cabanalane wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:29 pm Like Chow, Rolo is probably one of the finest OC, and should stay that way. Not everyone is HC material. That's not a knock at all. On the flip side, one can be a bad coach and a good HC. HC have to deal with soap in the shower. There is no time for football. Hire the best people for the job. Rolo is one of the best OC.

Exactly. I am a Director of Client Services for a large company and see many ppl evaluate to executive management who are great at their job , but not management material. Many fans, alumni and the community were on board with Rolo's hiring bc he's a UH guy, but that's not enough. In the corporate world, you never get hired for a management job you have never done bc you have no track record of success. I hope Rolo can turn thing around, but his OC and DC are not going to help him bc they lack the needed experience and his loyalty to them maybe his downfall. Learning on the job comes with tons of risks for the company and in the case the FB team.
I agree with both of you to a degree. I don't think he's the best OC but maybe the best for Hawaii. I think at this point in his career, you can sense that he was not yet head coach material. I kind of wonder whether the coaching staff spent sleepless nights going through game film after game film trying to learn each player's strengths and weaknesses so that they could improve this year. They came in with a super offensive line but obviously they needed an RJ Hollis to feel good about their thankless task. So far, there are a lot of things about his interviews that I consider drone and without hope which is not what I expect out of leader. Instead of talking the team up, he sounds like he's given up. He's got some growing up to do.