What is the issue with this year team?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
Nisei
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Padres

Re: What is the issue with this year team?

Post by Nisei »

We are where I thought we would be at this point in the season. If we lose to the likes of Nevada and SJSU, then I'll start worrying.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

UH is in a hole right now. The fact that they are 2-3 overall doesn't concern me because the Warriors aren't close to sniffing one of the four playoff spots. The problem is that they are 0-2 in conference play. Don't think they can really afford to lose two more conference games and get to a Bowl game this season.

Basically, I think they could lose more than two more conference games the way things are going right now.
I hope UH proves me wrong.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

unpaid wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:24 pm UH is in a hole right now. The fact that they are 2-3 overall doesn't concern me because the Warriors aren't close to sniffing one of the four playoff spots. The problem is that they are 0-2 in conference play. Don't think they can really afford to lose two more conference games and get to a Bowl game this season.

Basically, I think they could lose more than two more conference games the way things are going right now.
I hope UH proves me wrong.
I think as long as UH wins 6 games, they'll go to a bowl game.
ImageImage

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Nisei wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:04 am We are where I thought we would be at this point in the season. If we lose to the likes of Nevada and SJSU, then I'll start worrying.
Amen. You can guarantee that a loss to Nevada will sink this team's confidence heading into the SJSU. As good as CSU is, I wonder if we are still letting the Wyoming loss linger.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

locogrown808
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by locogrown808 »

you also have to realize that the majority of this team is chow's 1 to 2 win teams. changing a losing culture takes time, starting with these boys learning to deal with adversity. you also say some of these behavioral problems occurred because these boys misbehaved when things started to get tough. there's no easy answer for this, but one thing that's gotta change still yet is the culture.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

gopunahou wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:27 pm
Nisei wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:04 am We are where I thought we would be at this point in the season. If we lose to the likes of Nevada and SJSU, then I'll start worrying.
Amen. You can guarantee that a loss to Nevada will sink this team's confidence heading into the SJSU. As good as CSU is, I wonder if we are still letting the Wyoming loss linger.
Wyoming is in the past and it was a close, tough game for the UH. CSU was a total blowout. CSU is in the same conference as UH but it look like a mid-major playing one of the Big 5 conference team. The hype before the season was how UH was going to be contending for the MWC title. There is no way this team based on their play against UCLA and CSU could have ever considered themselves as contenders. CSU could have blown out UH 70-20 if they wanted to but it was the letting up by CSU by Coach Bobo that made the score palatable. So the disappointment can be attributed that they cannot play the big boys and they are no where close to being MWC champions. If the expectations were not set so high but with cautious optimism it would have worked to Hawaii's favor at this point in the season. If Rolo could address the public expressing the shortcomings and how they are working on some of those shortcomings, I think the fans can come out as optimistic underdogs with the possibility of winning the big ones like SDSU.

Grinch
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Grinch »

Honestly, I was hyped. Looking at our oline, running backs, slots, linebackers, and safetys, i had high expectations.

But, I'm reminded that football is a team sport and if any positions are struggling, it impacts the whole team. For instance, I think our D line is doing ok, but losing two potential all-mwc players in the off season didn't help.
"The rise . . . of the Warriors."

ulua
All-American
All-American
MLB: Marlins
NFL: Panthers

Post by ulua »

This team has too much issues to overcome this year.
Bad coaches
Loss of a coach
Suspensions, and penalties
No leader ship from the team captains
Players probably selling out by now, may be even some coaches who knows, I just don't see any spark/fire in the eyes of the players/coaches
the list goes on and on
don't know if we can win another game, we played and 0-5 team, and they beat us and racked up over 500 yards, not good

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Inexperienced coaches on all 3 units

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

Nevada would still be winless had it not been for UH. Thank God for Army being on UH's schedule in 2013.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

We lost a lot of leaders.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

go bows
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by go bows »

Average talented players with self-esteem issues. Combine that with players not buying into the program and you have your answer. :-

Egonator
Pine rider
Pine rider
MLB: Brewers/Rays
NBA: Jazz/Timberwolves
NFL: Vikings/Bills

Post by Egonator »

1.) The other teams adjusted against Rolo and Dru Brown. They had one year to study Hawaii's tendencies.
2.) If they didn't have the block kicks against Air Force and Fresno State (in 2016), they would have loss both games hence they would have not made a bowl game. Their record last year would have been 4-9. It looks as if UH will achieve the same record.
3.) Rolovich is hiring only his friends and not coaches that are qualified.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

You've gotta have heart
Miles 'n miles n' miles of heart

Warriors just don't have heart. :(
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Post by stranger808 »

My guess is the poor coaching, game planning. The coaches inability to adapt to the remaining talent after injuries. Two weeks to prepare a game plan, and nothing, no ingenuity, creativity, nothing. Pounding DSJ consistently into the line is a dead end when Dru rarely pulls the ball, it was obvious to see when the SDSU DE was crashing hard on every play in the first 3-4 series of the game. Dru never pulled the ball, outside was wide open. Also,the offensive play-caller never adapted to what was happening on the field. So PREDICTABLE! I bet the coach will say they were setting the table for the pass later in the game, I will call BS before the Nick Rolo show airs. I still love Rolo. :D