Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
ulua
All-American
All-American
MLB: Marlins
NFL: Panthers

What is the issue with this year team?

Post by ulua »

Why are we so bad on all phases of the game?
A: is it the coaching staff, HC/OC/DC/position coaches? all of the above?
B: is it the players?
C: do we have guys playing the right positions? do we have the best on the field.

I don't get it, this team has taken like 100 steps backwards from last year. I know we lost some key players, but we still returned a lot of starters and players with game experience. I thought this team should have been equivalent to last years team or just a little better, but aren't.

I get UCLA and CSU are good teams, but we should have been more competitive, even against W.Carolina we didn't play great football you take away
the 3 blocked FG, one blocked FG for TD and Hendersons pick 6, what did our offense do? it would have been a much closer game.

And the CSU game we couldn't get CSU offense off the field, they scored on every possession untill they let up mid 3rd quarter when we finally got them to punt.

and no fail every time we score, we give quickly give a TD back.

If UH can correct what needs to be corrected, I believe they can go to a bowl game, but if they keep playing this way I don't see many more wins.

What you guys think?

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Re: What is the issue with this year team?

Post by Neighbor »

Only special teams has really regressed and it's funny how it's only cause of Rigo. I think we're the same team we were last year. That UMass and MTSU games were against teams near our level and putting up a lot of points and getting takeaways against them to end the season really put a lot of hype on this team and heightened expectations. We're dealing with injuries and all those dismissed players in the offseason really hurt us.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

You give too much credit to UH for getting CSU to punt. The coach for CSU called off the dogs by halftime. CSU could do anything they wanted and you could see than after the first quarter. They only ran the ball mostly in the end of the third and fourth quarter. Still Matthews ran for 60+ yards on one play. CSU is still not quite the same caliber as SDSU but I don't see SDSU calling off the dogs unless they take out Rashad Penny in the second half. Hawaii's offense is going to look even more anemic against SDSU. If you look at any organization the buck stops at the top. So the question is, can Rolovich develop into the coach that Hawaii needs?

ulua
All-American
All-American
MLB: Marlins
NFL: Panthers

Post by ulua »

shrek2 wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:20 am You give too much credit to UH for getting CSU to punt. The coach for CSU called off the dogs by halftime. CSU could do anything they wanted and you could see than after the first quarter. They only ran the ball mostly in the end of the third and fourth quarter. Still Matthews ran for 60+ yards on one play. CSU is still not quite the same caliber as SDSU but I don't see SDSU calling off the dogs unless they take out Rashad Penny in the second half. Hawaii's offense is going to look even more anemic against SDSU. If you look at any organization the buck stops at the top. So the question is, can Rolovich develop into the coach that Hawaii needs?
I didn't think I was giving UH credit for finally stopping CSU and making them punt, I did say that we finally stopped them mid 3rd quarter due to the CSU offense letting up.

never the less we need to to find the root problem and fix it fast.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

ulua wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:08 pm
shrek2 wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:20 am You give too much credit to UH for getting CSU to punt. The coach for CSU called off the dogs by halftime. CSU could do anything they wanted and you could see than after the first quarter. They only ran the ball mostly in the end of the third and fourth quarter. Still Matthews ran for 60+ yards on one play. CSU is still not quite the same caliber as SDSU but I don't see SDSU calling off the dogs unless they take out Rashad Penny in the second half. Hawaii's offense is going to look even more anemic against SDSU. If you look at any organization the buck stops at the top. So the question is, can Rolovich develop into the coach that Hawaii needs?
I didn't think I was giving UH credit for finally stopping CSU and making them punt, I did say that we finally stopped them mid 3rd quarter due to the CSU offense letting up.

never the less we need to to find the root problem and fix it fast.
Okay, so I was the papio on this one but I still think its the coaches and whether they can develop the talent that they have. The onus is on the coaches. Yeah, it starts at the top even though I think that they may not have the most desirable assistant coaches by background. How many of the coaches actually spend endless hours of studying the game at all levels to understand what makes kids at this level great? Even if the coaches don't have the most desirable resumes, my contention is if they put in the work they can be better coaches. I don't think they are.

Grinch
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Grinch »

Just my opinion:
1. We should've beat Wyoming,
2. Colorado St is a very good team,
3. Unlike Coach Bobo of CSU who took over a team already pretty successful, Rolo adopted a team that had lost a lot of games under previous regime,
4. We're not good enough yet, nor have the depth, to lose key players during the off season, and then some during the week to injury or suspension.
"The rise . . . of the Warriors."

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

We are lucky we are playing hot garbage teams like SJSU and Nevada. We better not take them lightly because those are two of the few chances we'll get to win. To lose to both of them would be vomit-inducing.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

whirlygig5
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by whirlygig5 »

man after last years bowl victory i thought this team would come into this year with a lil pep in their step, a lil swagger. But man its just the opposite. they look out of sync. the defense look out of place on every down. the running game is going good and passing could be better but scoring last 3 games is spars considering how well they can move the ball

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

we lost too much o-line and d-line in the offseason and have no depth. i think the season might be kaput already.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

We have new, inexperienced defensive and offensive coordinators. We played well enough to beat Wyoming which I take as a good sign for the team. The constant senseless penalties have me worried, but otherwise I think we're headed in the right direction.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

Seems like we're not as focused. Too many guys getting suspended. Time for the seniors to step up and start leading.
ImageImage

Grinch
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Grinch »

And now, Metuisela UNGA will miss the rest of the season due to ankle injury. Rolo also said that 3 Warriors were suspended from the Colorado State game for disciplinary reasons.
"The rise . . . of the Warriors."

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

All of these players who have been suspended so far this season had better get on the train and keep their hands and heads in the windows before the season does get derailed. Talk about hurting the rest of their teammates who follow the rules. SELFISH and STUPID.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

I don’t see a huge issue. I just think people overhyped the team after coming off the high of last year so they see the struggles this year as a disappointment.

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Palolo_2LA »

Like the great R Miano said during the CSU game...too many arm tackles, no leverage , bad angles, missed tackles and bad fundamentals. Hard to be successful with all these challenges. It is a mixture of injuries, bad player tendencies, scheme and unfortunately the new coach D can't overcome these issues via scheme alone.

39 missed a bunch of tackles, the OL got to the UH LBs on almost every run and the DBs were toasted. Need better caliber players and player development.
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook: