*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Re: Lack of discipline after 18 games under Rolo

Post by shrek2 »

stranger808 wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:05 pm
shrek2 wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:51 pm I don't know why but I think Rolovich's statement to the media sounds so trite that it borders on being lame. Maybe he was too young to takeover the program.

"He was critical in holding this program together in the transition from Coach (Norm) Chow to myself," Rolovich said in a news release. "We wish him well in the future, and we will meet this challenge head on, because that is the Warrior way."

...it almost seems like he's become a Norm Chow where head coaching has gone to his head. "We wish him well in the future.." Really? Almost sounds like a cliché.
I'm not sure what Rolo is supposed to say in that situation. It sounds okay to me.
First of all, I don't think you shut the door by saying we wish him well in the future. A better statement is that "he has been an intricate member of the coaching staff and we have valued his opinions and will definitely miss his presence on the field in the future." This statement keeps the door open to using him in possible recruiting efforts and doesn't sound arrogant like Chow got to be towards the end of his tenure.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

shrek2 wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:13 pm
shrek2 wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:51 pm I don't know why but I think Rolovich's statement to the media sounds so trite that it borders on being lame. Maybe he was too young to takeover the program.

"He was critical in holding this program together in the transition from Coach (Norm) Chow to myself," Rolovich said in a news release. "We wish him well in the future, and we will meet this challenge head on, because that is the Warrior way."

...it almost seems like he's become a Norm Chow where head coaching has gone to his head. "We wish him well in the future.." Really? Almost sounds like a cliché.
I'm not sure what Rolo is supposed to say in that situation. It sounds okay to me.
First of all, I don't think you shut the door by saying we wish him well in the future. A better statement is that "he has been an intricate member of the coaching staff and we have valued his opinions and will definitely miss his presence on the field in the future." This statement keeps the door open to using him in possible recruiting efforts and doesn't sound arrogant like Chow got to be towards the end of his tenure.
We can't use him in recruiting, he's not on the staff. That'll be an NCAA violation. The statement sounded fine to me.
ImageImage

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

If they are parting ways for good, no sense in making a statement much longer or more flowery than that. If the bridge is burnt, it's burnt.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

shrek2 wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:48 pm
Sorry, but I think it was a big disappointment for everyone when KT was dismissed from the team. He was the great Hawaiian-Samoan hope. But it was the felony charge that caused for his dismissal. I don't know the law very well in Hawaii but I think his attorney screwed him by not changing it to a misdemeanor and having Kennedy pay for the Navigator. $5000 means you don't play, really? I think Kennedy participated in the march of UH players to the State Capitol march against violence against women that was organized by Chow. I think Chow fell short on his teachings. Also, coaches have 90+ kids to take care of. Can you imagine taking care of 90 kids?
From what I have read between the lines, Kennedy had a mutually tumultuous relationship with his ex. Kennedy punched his girlfriend's dashboard rather than her. That caused damage to a navigator which has since become obsolete. Navigators have been replaced by Google map applications on your smart phone. I don't get the outrage or the dismissal of a team captain over this. If Rolovich was a part of this, I think it was chicken poop.

Are 90 kids too much to handle? I am a teacher. 90 kids are two of my classrooms. I manage 7 classrooms. I am not impressed with the management skills of this overpaid coach. I guess Naole was not either.

I would've loved to have Rolovich and Aranda serve one more year under McMackin. Even though McMackin couldn't remember certain player's names due to medication he managed the staff and team well. I am hoping Rolovich has that "I got it" moment like he did as a quarterback under June Jones.

Irse

Post by Irse »

SundayJam wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:43 am
Sorry, but I think it was a big disappointment for everyone when KT was dismissed from the team. He was the great Hawaiian-Samoan hope. But it was the felony charge that caused for his dismissal. I don't know the law very well in Hawaii but I think his attorney screwed him by not changing it to a misdemeanor and having Kennedy pay for the Navigator. $5000 means you don't play, really? I think Kennedy participated in the march of UH players to the State Capitol march against violence against women that was organized by Chow. I think Chow fell short on his teachings. Also, coaches have 90+ kids to take care of. Can you imagine taking care of 90 kids?
From what I have read between the lines, Kennedy had a mutually tumultuous relationship with his ex. Kennedy punched his girlfriend's dashboard rather than her. That caused damage to a navigator which has since become obsolete. Navigators have been replaced by Google map applications on your smart phone. I don't get the outrage or the dismissal of a team captain over this. If Rolovich was a part of this, I think it was chicken poop.

Are 90 kids too much to handle? I am a teacher. 90 kids are two of my classrooms. I manage 7 classrooms. I am not impressed with the management skills of this overpaid coach. I guess Naole was not either.

I would've loved to have Rolovich and Aranda serve one more year under McMackin. Even though McMackin couldn't remember certain player's names due to medication he managed the staff and team well. I am hoping Rolovich has that "I got it" moment like he did as a quarterback under June Jones.
It's been stated many times that the upper campus is the one that decided KT's dismissal. He was also given the opportunity to get back on the team if he fulfilled certain requirements which he did not. That is why he is not on the team.

Plus I do see more people use a dedicated GPS device than google maps on their phone. It is legal to use the GPS on the phone when driving but illegal to manipulate it when driving (ie can't type in an address you want to go to)
ImageImage

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Irse wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:12 am

We can't use him in recruiting, he's not on the staff. That'll be an NCAA violation. The statement sounded fine to me.
Good to know that they cannot hire him in some capacity to assist with recruiting. I have to wonder how its going to affect the motivation of the offensive line during crucial games to know that there may be some animosity between coaches? Do you think they might claim injury status when they are not injured? Do you think it might affect overall morale? Is Hawaii just a small island too? I wonder how people get along when there's an underlying dislike of one another?

Irse

Post by Irse »

shrek2 wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:07 am

Good to know that they cannot hire him in some capacity to assist with recruiting. I have to wonder how its going to affect the motivation of the offensive line during crucial games to know that there may be some animosity between coaches? Do you think they might claim injury status when they are not injured? Do you think it might affect overall morale? Is Hawaii just a small island too? I wonder how people get along when there's an underlying dislike of one another?
I don't think it'll have any effect. I think we make a bigger deal than it is. There was some conflicts on June's staff too. They fared ok on the field.

The thing that has me worried is why haven't the guys bought into the program 100%. If they did, they would be focused on playing to their abilities instead of doing things that get them suspended. Their focus is not 100% on football.
ImageImage

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Irse wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:43 am

I don't think it'll have any effect. I think we make a bigger deal than it is. There was some conflicts on June's staff too. They fared ok on the field.

The thing that has me worried is why haven't the guys bought into the program 100%. If they did, they would be focused on playing to their abilities instead of doing things that get them suspended. Their focus is not 100% on football.
Just out of curiosity Irse, who do you think they will send from the recruiting staff to talent rich South Central LA where we have gotten Dejon Allen, Malachi Mageo and Jahlani Tavai?

Probably the difference between Jones staff disagreements is that as long as they were winning, it didn't matter.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Irse wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:20 am

It's been stated many times that the upper campus is the one that decided KT's dismissal. He was also given the opportunity to get back on the team if he fulfilled certain requirements which he did not. That is why he is not on the team.

Plus I do see more people use a dedicated GPS device than google maps on their phone. It is legal to use the GPS on the phone when driving but illegal to manipulate it when driving (ie can't type in an address you want to go to)
Haven't been following it that closely but Kennedy is playing for June Jones' Hamilton Tigercats and so is Alex Green.

Irse

Post by Irse »

shrek2 wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:58 am

Just out of curiosity Irse, who do you think they will send from the recruiting staff to talent rich South Central LA where we have gotten Dejon Allen, Malachi Mageo and Jahlani Tavai?

Probably the difference between Jones staff disagreements is that as long as they were winning, it didn't matter.
I think Abe has been recruiting there. Who else, I don't know. Whomever has contacts there, I guess. Wasn't Smith coach at Occidental College? That's in LA so he must have some contacts there. Not sure where Naoele's area was. If it was Samoa and Australia, it may hurt there. But I think Legi has connections in Samoa too.
ImageImage

Irse

Post by Irse »

shrek2 wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:04 am

Haven't been following it that closely but Kennedy is playing for June Jones' Hamilton Tigercats and so is Alex Green.
Kennedy is not laying to the Tigercats
ImageImage

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Irse wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:27 am
shrek2 wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:58 am

I think Abe has been recruiting there. Who else, I don't know. Whomever has contacts there, I guess. Wasn't Smith coach at Occidental College? That's in LA so he must have some contacts there. Not sure where Naoele's area was. If it was Samoa and Australia, it may hurt there. But I think Legi has connections in Samoa too.
What if Abe is out sick, who in the UH staff is going to convince the recruit that Hawaii has a diverse coaching staff and he will be trained to excel in the NFL if that's his desires? Are we sending a couple of spooks to these minority areas who have little in the way of credentials to come to Hawaii to waste 4 years of their lives? Really, send one of two African Americans to put their faith in the Hawaii program? It will be an interesting year in 2018 as to who they recruit out of the area.

Is Legi a good talker? Is he a good coach? So far, the defense is not showing very much so is it because of the players or him? Is he a good recruiter other than the one LB who is not starting?

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Irse wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:37 am

Irse (or go in Spanish), I don't quite understand your response. Are you saying that Kennedy Tulimasealii is not playing for the Tigercats? I don't know what laying is. Do you have news of where he is? All I found was the following reference.
https://247sports.com/college/hawaii/Bo ... -106517373

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

Confirming it was upper campus that made the decision on KT. His attorney negotiated a deal with upper campus that would have allowed KT to return to the team if he fulfilled certain requirements. Unfortunately he wasn't able to.

Regarding his attorney not "changing" the charge to a misdemeanor, he tried. But the prosecutors office which was under a lot of public pressure didn't agree to reduce the charge.

Irse

Post by Irse »

shrek2 wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:44 am
Irse wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:37 am
Irse (or go in Spanish), I don't quite understand your response. Are you saying that Kennedy Tulimasealii is not playing for the Tigercats? I don't know what laying is. Do you have news of where he is? All I found was the following reference.
https://247sports.com/college/hawaii/Bo ... -106517373
That's what happens when I type on my laptop while laying down. KT is not playing for the Tigercats. I checked their roster. Not on the active roster or practice squad or injured list.
ImageImage