Lack of discipline after 18 games under Rolo

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
BigWave96744

Lack of discipline after 18 games under Rolo

Post by BigWave96744 »

Yes Coach Rolo is making practice fun, having creative ways to present scholarship's and getting the public to buy into the program, but as the commander of the ship is he too lenient and not taken seriously by the players?
- Dline: Tulimasealii, Tago, Gifford -- Gone
- Oline: Kingjames Taylor -- Gone
- Dline: Moala, Eldridge, Akoteu -- Suspended 1 game
- Injured players not going to treatment during the bye week.
- Too many Penalties by all 3 units including multiple late hits, Posa ejected, Ulu-Perry throwing a punch, Henserson tossing ball into the stands after a TD and other personal fouls the negates key plays and puts the team in terrible field position.

I really hope something is done fast because a mediocre mid major team like Hawaii will lose many games due to the lack of discipline.

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets
NFL: Buffalo Bills

Re: Lack of discipline after 18 games under Rolo

Post by wyokie »

I was actually shocked by that. Dumb mistakes by Hawaii's players and of course...the kickoff return...is what killed any chances of Hawaii beating Wyoming.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

Someone else pointed out that JJ's teams used to get tons of penalties too. The go-to response is that discipline is how you fix these things but I don't think so. Saban punishes his players in practice, so maybe that's one way, but I don't think you can afford to punish your players in games cause you need to win. Even at the high school level, I dunno if making players run for penalties actually helps the penalty problem. It just comes down to the players themselves and the way they are.

But also many people have said that JJ never yelled at players, and all these coaches played under him so maybe they're not quite sure how to address these penalty issues either

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

Rolovich is a players' coach. When the player recognizes that he f'd up on a play and the other players and coaches know it too, there is no need to hammer the guy more. Off the field is something else. You will face the consequences.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

I wouldn't say KT's dismissal falls under the category of lack of discipline. Who would dismiss a blue chip athlete because he punched his aggressive girlfriend's daddy's dashboard? Rolovich was a better offensive coordinator than he is a head coach. Still, he has hope as a team-builder. His team of coaches is pretty good...much better than the last coach.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Even pirate ships back in the day had discipline, or they walked the plank. Misbehaving samurai had their heads sliced off, or had to commit seppuku. Yakuza have to chop off part of their own finger. In ancient Hawaii, kapu often meant immediate death. Chow made a player in full practice gear climb, and spiderwalk across a fence. Hey, whatever works.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

SundayJam wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:38 am I wouldn't say KT's dismissal falls under the category of lack of discipline. Who would dismiss a blue chip athlete because he punched his aggressive girlfriend's daddy's dashboard? Rolovich was a better offensive coordinator than he is a head coach. Still, he has hope as a team-builder. His team of coaches is pretty good...much better than the last coach.
Sorry, but I think it was a big disappointment for everyone when KT was dismissed from the team. He was the great Hawaiian-Samoan hope. But it was the felony charge that caused for his dismissal. I don't know the law very well in Hawaii but I think his attorney screwed him by not changing it to a misdemeanor and having Kennedy pay for the Navigator. $5000 means you don't play, really? I think Kennedy participated in the march of UH players to the State Capitol march against violence against women that was organized by Chow. I think Chow fell short on his teachings. Also, coaches have 90+ kids to take care of. Can you imagine taking care of 90 kids?

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Dodgers
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Vikings

Post by bigislandkurt »

Norm Chow preached discipline. Players had to cut their hair short. Many of his recruits were "turn key" recruits from LDS connections -- many who appeared to be better disciplined. No need to remind everyone on just how much damage the Norm Chow era did.

I'll roll with Rolo's "lack of discipline" style over "old school" Chow ANY DAY of the week. I don't think any of events that have transpired regarding player discipline is any different than any team playing D1 football (service academies may be the exception). Rolo 'aint no pushover. He kept three very important players home from the WYO game.
Friendship is Essential to the Soul

Grinch
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Grinch »

Discipline is a problem.
But I can appreciate that Rolo has drawn the line in the sand. No matter if you're a starter, All-Conference, etc - you will be suspended, run, kicked off team.
At some point all players will understand this
"The rise . . . of the Warriors."

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

the wyoming game is the first time this season that their mistakes cost them something real. let's just see how they respond...

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

We're 122nd in the nation in fewest penalty yards per game (92 yards). At 118 at number of (fewest) penalties per game with 9.5

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

LOL...we're 116th in 3rd down conversions too.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

SundayJam wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:22 am LOL...we're 116th in 3rd down conversions too.
And still many of you here expected this kind of performance :-?

WarriorTyme
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by WarriorTyme »

I think the difference is June Jones teams committed a lot penalties and gave up a lot of points but out scored with a fast break pass first offense. Chow and Rolo have a run first offense so it really shows in the win/loss column when you can't overcome penalties like June Jones teams could.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

WarriorTyme wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:54 am I think the difference is June Jones teams committed a lot penalties and gave up a lot of points but out scored with a fast break pass first offense. Chow and Rolo have a run first offense so it really shows in the win/loss column when you can't overcome penalties like June Jones teams could.
June Jones had plenty of games where the offense was useless.

Rolo is not Chow. Rolo is not locked into one mindset. I think you are going to see things open up a bit more in the passing game.