UH Offense

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
Exiled
Play Maker
Play Maker

Re: UH Offense

Post by Exiled »

whirlygig5 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:02 am "Roll admits he is trying to open the passing game more. But he should accept that the identity of this offense is run first."

HE needs to except that his offense doesn't come out with any purpose or urgency to score.... Scoring needs to be priority.
Ok Captain Obvious.... Because there is such a thing as not trying to score. No really there is! :roll:

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by st808 »

win or lose. 24 hours. good rule.

next: wyoming.

go warriors.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

8 straight opportunities inside the 10 and 0 points, including 1st and goal from the 3 (was it?). Not good

whirlygig5
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by whirlygig5 »

"Ok Captain Obvious.... Because there is such a thing as not trying to score. No really there is! :roll:"

sad but true, appears running and establishing a ball control offense seems to be priority.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

whirlygig5 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:13 am "Ok Captain Obvious.... Because there is such a thing as not trying to score. No really there is! :roll:"

sad but true, appears running and establishing a ball control offense seems to be priority.
1st game: Team at our level
2nd game: Team below our level
3rd game: Team above our level

I am not sure the 2nd and 3rd game make for a trend of what we are going to do this year.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

I see Dru Brown as being more of a game manager type of quarterback where they need to control the offense and minimize mistakes. Unfortunately, the offense is not minimizing their mistakes. I hope that the two quarterbacks who are verbally committed for 2018 are more of the gunslinger types, i.e. Nick Rolovich/Timmy Chang/Colt Brennan/Bryant Moniz. Rolo has to try to match the offense to the current talent. One of Chow's many huge mistakes was that he disregarded the available talent to implement a wholly different offense that they were not suited for. Give Rolo time to recruit. But I sure hope that he is not intending to continue with a Nevada-type offense going forward.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

Exiled
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by Exiled »

UnBiasFan wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:01 am
1st game: Team at our level
2nd game: Team below our level
3rd game: Team above our level

I am not sure the 2nd and 3rd game make for a trend of what we are going to do this year.
This!

The teams are so different. The UCLA game gives me confidence in the run game though.

Someone at the X or Z spots need to step up! Offensively they are consistently weak in tight 1-1 coverages. They need to play big and fight for the ball, box out defenders and
Attack the high point on high arcing passes

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

Offense is fine. We made some critical mistakes. With the score 21-7 we are driving, converts on 3rd and 2 and get called for a offensive pick and a 15 yard penalty. Game changer compounded by a penalty on a great punt, an unsuccessful fake punt, Rosen's TD, pick six and BAM we are down 35 - 7 at the half. We were competitive and in a matter of 3 mins the game is over.

Our run game is very good.

D hard to tell. Rossen is very good and they have a lot of speed.

We have to be able to control the ball against Wyoming. If the run hurry up and throw the ball over the field we will get gassed.

We can beat Colorado State at Aloha.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

i really don't think Rolo cares how we did against UCLA. We saw what the offense can do against MTSU in the Hawaii Bowl, and that's what they are going to do against MWC teams, particularly against MWC West division teams except for SDSU. I also saw good things from the UH offense in the 3rd qtr vs UCLA when they spread things out and went with more 4-wide and empty sets. Rolo seems like the kind of guy to save that stuff and take lumps in the beginning of the season to be able to be better when conference play starts (like how he started Woolsey the first 3 games last season to allow DB to get acclimated before handing him the starting job).

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

I like Rolovich but have any of his trick plays worked...ever? To run trick plays successfully one needs to have a disciplined team...a team that doesn't commit senseless penalties...and knows how to tackle on defense. Otherwise, these trick plays just dig the whole deeper.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

whole...hole...pun intended.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

SundayJam wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:25 am I like Rolovich but have any of his trick plays worked...ever? To run trick plays successfully one needs to have a disciplined team...a team that doesn't commit senseless penalties...and knows how to tackle on defense. Otherwise, these trick plays just dig the whole deeper.
Disagree. A fake punt has nothing to do with team discipline or penalties. It can be called different ways. Many times it is an option play where the punter is given the green light if he thinks he can make it.

I have no problem with the call. Punter learned a lesson here. The punter now has a better gauge of what he can pull off at game speed. Good chance we will see it again.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

I'm watching Memphis O running all over UCLA. We need a lot more team speed. They have pen receivers all over the place.
ImageImage

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Memphis took the Bruins out in back of the shed and gave them a whooping.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

reignjah11
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
MLB: Boston Red Sox
NBA: Dallas Mavericks
NFL: New England Patriots

Post by reignjah11 »

SundayJam wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:25 am I like Rolovich but have any of his trick plays worked...ever?
Yes, quite a few actually last year...fake punt in the Hawaii bowl, another fake punt vs UMASS, and a fake fg vs New Mexico (woolsey took the snap and ran it in for a td right before the half). I don't mind the trick plays, I like the aggressive mindset of Rolo!