Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Cowboys

Ulu Perry not an OT

Post by Palolo_2LA »

I watched the game in person and saw first hand that he's definitely not a college tackle. Are the other prospects at tackle worse?

Here are my observations of him:
1) Low mobility
2) Overweight
3) Bad technique
4) Out of position to block on a few plays

His power is apparent, but his feet are definitely not equipped to play the position. His lack of mobility can be hidden at OG or C. He will be exposed as a tackle, which places his teammates in danger. Nothing against the guy, however, was surprised with his lack of technique, bad feet and no punch. I assume coaches want to play best 5, however, he's better suited to be a C or OG.
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

uhwarriors

Re: Ulu Perry not an OT

Post by uhwarriors »

Palolo_2LA wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:54 pm I watched the game in person and saw first hand that he's definitely not a college tackle. Are the other prospects at tackle worse?

1) Low mobility
2) Overweight
3) Bad technique

His power is apparent, but his feet are definitely not equipped to play the position. His lack of mobility can be hidden at OG or C. He will be exposed as a tackle, which places his teammates in danger. Nothing against the guy, however, was surprised with his lack of technique, bad feet and no punch. I assume coaches want to play best 5, however, he's better suited to be a C or OG.
The coaches know Ulu-Perry is a natural interior lineman and not an OT. After Kingjames Taylor flunked out, they gave every available O-linemen lots of opportunities during the first two weeks of summer camp to win the position. No one showed they could handle the position as well as Ulu-Perry could, so Ulu-Perry became the RT during the two weeks leading up to the UMass game. He’s playing there because he’s the best we have now and it puts our best 5 on the field.

Kipper, Vanterpool and Graves were not here for spring practice. If they were it might be a different story. Right now, only Kipper is on the travel squad and he's Norman's backup. It will probably be different next year with Kipper, Vanterpool and Graves having spring practice and O-line recruits the staff are hoping to bring in.

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Palolo_2LA »

uhwarriors wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:14 am
Palolo_2LA wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:54 pm I watched the game in person and saw first hand that he's definitely not a college tackle. Are the other prospects at tackle worse?

1) Low mobility
2) Overweight
3) Bad technique

The coaches know Ulu-Perry is a natural interior lineman and not an OT. After Kingjames Taylor flunked out, they gave every available O-linemen lots of opportunities during the first two weeks of summer camp to win the position. No one showed they could handle the position as well as Ulu-Perry could, so Ulu-Perry became the RT during the two weeks leading up to the UMass game. He’s playing there because he’s the best we have now and it puts our best 5 on the field.

Kipper, Vanterpool and Graves were not here for spring practice. If they were it might be a different story. Right now, only Kipper is on the travel squad and he's Norman's backup. It will probably be different next year with Kipper, Vanterpool and Graves having spring practice and O-line recruits the staff are hoping to bring in.
Totally understand the scenario and it is a shame that a few OL players are not available or retired from FB. I'd expect that Graves would be more ready than the 2 FR. OL is a issue if Fred's our tackle. Really hope 1 of the 3 options at LT can ramp up.
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

Serious question --- how do you scan the field during a play to see what is happening at different positions?

I mean I can definitely see when the O-Line has got it going good or totally bad. But on most plays I am just trying to follow the ball.