What will the 2017 passing offense look like this year?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
uhwarriors

What will the 2017 passing offense look like this year?

Post by uhwarriors »

I can’t go into specifics, but I’ll give some hints on what the passing offense will do this year.

Although we may not have a Kemp type receiver, I think the passing game will be a lot more productive this year. Last year we averaged 227 passing yards per game and had 27 passing TDs in 14 games (1.9/game). I expect a lot more this year. I think we’ll average at least 275 passing yards per game and throw 30 TDs in 12 regular season games (2.5/game). In fact, I think I’m being conservative.

Brown and the receivers have a year under their belts and are executing at a higher level. Starting in the spring, the passing game playbook has also been expanded a lot. This means more ways to attack defenses. But a lot of the new stuff won’t be obvious if you don’t know the plays and the route adjustments.

Other new parts of the passing offense will become obvious over the first several games as they reveal variations in formations, player personnel packages and where certain receivers line up on different plays. I think there will be games in which at least 10 and possibly more WRs, SBs and TEs play. Not all will show up on the stat sheet of each game, but the different looks and personnel packages will cause challenges for defenses. There’s good talent in the receiver corps and I like the way the coaches plan to put them in positions to succeed.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Re: What will the 2017 passing offense look like this year?

Post by shrek2 »

Have they been teaching the wide receivers how to confuse the defenders on crossing patterns but not pick the defenders causing pass interference? If you were to pick a possession receiver, who might that be? It seems like Timoteo is willing to put his body between the ball and defender.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

shrek2 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:38 pmHave they been teaching the wide receivers how to confuse the defenders on crossing patterns but not pick the defenders causing pass interference?

I'm not saying anything. :D

shrek2 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:38 pm If you were to pick a possession receiver, who might that be? It seems like Timoteo is willing to put his body between the ball and defender.
Barker and Timoteo are probably the most physical WR/SB receivers we have. Armstrong-Brown is pretty big too, but I have seen enough of him to know his game. Don't forget TEs Unga and Greeley. Both have good length and hands. There will be lots of different personnel groups and plays that will be used to convert and keep drives alive. Brown has learned to go through the progressions and get the ball to the open receiver. So I don't think there will be one go to guy to keep possessions alive.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

Thanks Uhwarriors. I think I get the picture. I'd like to see the two Greeleys get involved in some way in the passing attack.