2017 Summer Camp Observations

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
uhwarriors

2017 Summer Camp Observations

Post by uhwarriors »

These are my impressions of summer camp so far along with insights from other knowledgeable practice observers.

Brown is clearly the #1 QB and has improved a lot. He has a little more arm strength and good command of the expanded playbook. McDonald and Brownholtz got most of the reps in Saturday’s closed scrimmage as the coaches try to build depth at the position.

Position moves:

RS/FR Sunia and RS/FR Tuulima were at DT last year. They’ve been switched to OG and C respectively. RS/SO Moananu is now back at DT and may be in the rotation there.

SO Timoteo has been moved to SB and looks at home there. He had the play of the day in last week’s scrimmage catching the ball in traffic and breaking two tackles on the way to a TD.

Some returning players seem to have made a move this summer for playing time:

SR RB Tuiasoa has improved his quickness a lot and appeared to be the #2 RB coming out of spring practice, but others are now contending.

After a somewhat lackluster spring, RS/FR RB Holly seems to have upped his game and had the scrimmage’s biggest play yesterday. After breaking a tackle at the line of scrimmage, he got to the outside and outran the secondary for a long TD run.

TR/JR RB Dale was down on the depth chart during the spring as he tried to get caught up with the offense. He is now contending to be in the rotation and had a long TD run yesterday.

SR OG Posa is now in the running for a starting job.

RS/JR WR Stubblefield appears to have shaken off the rust coming off an injury last year and is looking improved from the spring.

RS/SR WR Bernard also seems improved from the spring and may be in the rotation.

SR LB R. Williams has put himself in position to play a lot after not playing much last year.

RS/FR DL Nuuanu-Kuhiki wasn’t ready to play last fall after being a late Summer add to the roster. However, he now looks ready and may be in rotation.

In general, the incoming players are quite promising and some will play this year:

FR TE Greeley has impressed and will likely backup Unga as the flex TE.

FR Heliiliki doesn’t look like he is coming off a 2 year mission, runs with power and will likely play this year.

FR Reed is an exciting RB with quick feet but may not get a chance to show his stuff until St. Juste and Tuiasoa graduate.

GS/TR JR WR Armstrong-Brown has made good progress since the spring and looks to be in the rotation.

FR WR Stallworth has been impressive but may not see action this year due to good depth at the position.

FR OTs Vanterpool and Kipper are definitely the future of the O-line and one or both may see action this year. Both are legit 6-6.

TR/JR OL Graves wasn’t here for spring practice and arrived just before the start of summer camp. He’s versatile and has practiced at RT, RG and C.

TR/JR DB Hudson-Rasmussen is in the running for a starting job in the secondary.

GS/FR DB Ford is making made some noise and will see action somewhere this year.

FR DB Dominque may be in the rotation at S and NB.

FR LB Pavihi is a very aggressive and a hard hitter, but may not play this year due to depth at LB.

FR DT Russell and Mermea are down on the depth chart now but could possibly work their way into the rotation this year.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Re: 2017 Summer Camp Observations

Post by shrek2 »

Thanks again uhwarriors. I kinda pictured Eperone as being a Sapoanga type to move the offensive line type and stop the run. And, Moala would be the pass rusher type. It will be interesting as the season goes on. I was wondering who would have the length and reach to replace Kemp at the receiver spot. Do you see that in Armstrong Brown?

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Thanks for the notes uhwarriors!
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

shrek2 wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:02 pm I was wondering who would have the length and reach to replace Kemp at the receiver spot. Do you see that in Armstrong Brown?
No one quite has Kemp's combination of length, speed and athleticism. Ewaliko, Armstrong-Brown (AB) and Bernard all have the speed to stretch the field. AB is a little taller than the other two and might get a jump ball that the others might not. Somewhat overlooked is Barker. He doesn't have the top end speed as the others but he has the strength to beat press man coverage and get on top or to win a jump ball. All are in the rotation now. Who plays the most will depend on recognizing coverages and adjusting the best.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

I think the first game is a matter of how the dline performs against the 400 and 300+ linemen on the first team for UMass. Defense will be a key for UH this year. From what you mentioned it sounds like AB could be a possession receiver. Crabtree made a living in college, 49ers and Raiders just doing that. It sounds like Tui Unga might be the receiver with the length and reach to get the jump balls. Unbelievable one handed catch making the highlight reels. Hopefully this is Tui's breakout season.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

shrek2 wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:00 pm From what you mentioned it sounds like AB could be a possession receiver. Crabtree made a living in college, 49ers and Raiders just doing that. It sounds like Tui Unga might be the receiver with the length and reach to get the jump balls. Unbelievable one handed catch making the highlight reels. Hopefully this is Tui's breakout season.
Don't be surprised if AB and Unga go vertical this year. Playbook has been expanded.

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

Thank you, uhwarriors! This is the most exciting lead up to a Warrior football season in years for me.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

I guess I was referring to Barker as the possible possession receiver if he can keep his body between the ball and the receiver. Did you notice the wide receivers laying a hit on the DBs so that the receiver could increase their YAC? There used to be a lot of that in some of the Jones teams. I'd like to see Ewaliko flatten some of the DBs especially when they play UCLA.

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Post by stranger808 »

I'm concerned about 3 positions. WR, CB, and all 3 kicking positions...K, make that 5 positions. No big time WR returning, inexperience at CB, and no experience at punter, kick-off or place kicking. We're above average at Slot and TE, but WR is a huge question mark for me.

Wild Warrior
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Wild Warrior »

It all starts with the big boys up front. Does anybody have a report on the offensive line?

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

One thing against the tight end for the UMass team is they never had an answer for the tight end. Hopefully Jahlani Tavai is up for the task. If he is, he will truly follow in the footsteps of the greats at that position like Keena Turner of Purdue and the 49ers. I've seen him break up passes with the wide receivers but not blanket a NFL prospect tight end. It'll be a big challenge.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

Wild Warrior wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:25 pm It all starts with the big boys up front. Does anybody have a report on the offensive line?
The starters look solid with LT Allen, LG Waa, C Eli, RG Posa and RT Ulu-Perry. But the O-line is thin, especially at OT. The loss of Taylor is big, because he was a lock at RT. Tupai has been a part-time starter at RG and his loss really hurts depth in the interior of the line especially since Ulu-Perry was moved to RT. One or more of the newcomers, Vanterpool, Kipper and Graves likely will play this season. They are talented but inexperienced, especially Vanterpool and Kipper who are true FR. None of them participated in spring practice, so the learning curve is steep.