8/5 Practice

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
bandits1
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Re: 8/5 Practice

Post by bandits1 »

ubercow wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:20 pmit's not like nike has the copyright on an all black uniform. all it takes is some time, and a coach that would rather spend the uniform budget on that look vs the green & white look they recently got.
It's not just the brand, it's the brand's design team. Looking at colleges that are sponsored by Nike, they have the coolest unis by far, IMO. In how ever many years we've had Under Armor as our sponsor and however many uni designs we've been through with them, I haven't seen a single one that struck me as better than average. And the team recycling the old Nike-era helmets just reminded me of how good we once had it, design-wise.

Of course, what's "cool" or "nice" is entirely subjective. Maybe with brand new helmets I can finally concentrate on appreciating the Under Armor designs instead of always being reminded of the Nike ones.

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Post by ubercow »

bandits1 wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:53 pm
ubercow wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:20 pmit's not like nike has the copyright on an all black uniform. all it takes is some time, and a coach that would rather spend the uniform budget on that look vs the green & white look they recently got.
It's not just the brand, it's the brand's design team. Looking at colleges that are sponsored by Nike, they have the coolest unis by far, IMO. In how ever many years we've had Under Armor as our sponsor and however many uni designs we've been through with them, I haven't seen a single one that struck me as better than average. And the team recycling the old Nike-era helmets just reminded me of how good we once had it, design-wise.

Of course, what's "cool" or "nice" is entirely subjective. Maybe with brand new helmets I can finally concentrate on appreciating the Under Armor designs instead of always being reminded of the Nike ones.
I also don't think any of the uni designs by UA have been better than average, but they hopefully may be turning a corner. Their basketball shoe line has upped their game in the past couple years, before that their shoes looked and felt like some discount off-brand. Also there was a time when oregon was the butt of jokes because of their outrageous nike uniforms and helmets, but just a couple years down the road some of their stuff became 🔥

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

uhwarriors wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:24 pm These are some observations on today’s practice

The offense is way ahead of last year at this time in terms of execution and the playbook has been expanded.

Naeole is experimenting with and cross-training the O-line. Ulu-Perry was at RT after being at C most of the last week. Eli was at C today after being mostly at RG this week. Vanterpool who was at LT, was at LG. Graves who has been at RT and RG, was at C. Norman who has been at RT was backing up Allen at LT. Posa and Hensley rotated at RG. In individual drills Waa lined up at RT, while lining up at LG during the scrimmage. Kipper continued at RT.

Some of the highlights of the live scrimmage:

Brown threw a long TD pass to I think Ewaliko on first play of the live scrimmage.
McDonald lofted a TD pass to FR TE Greeley who outjumped a DB in the corner of the endzone.
McDonald flashed his sprinter speed down the sidelines for a 25 yard TD run
Holly cutback on an inside run for a 20 yard TD.
FR RB Reed is very quick and shifty running between the tackles.
FR RB Heliiliki is a strong big back with quick feet. He had run of about 20 yards and punished the tackler at the end.
Timoteo caught a pass in traffic, broke a tackle and scored a TD.
On an RPO play, Tuileta threw a TD pass to Stallworth.
Moala had a sack and a couple of hurries.
Tuiasoa lost weight and is much quicker and shiftier this year.
Hi uhwarriors,
Any new insights on the latest practices? Any comparisons to previous UH teams in the past? Do you think any of the QBs might be pushing Brown? See any weaknesses?
Thanks.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

shrek2 wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:23 am
uhwarriors wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:24 pm These are some observations on today’s practice

The offense is way ahead of last year at this time in terms of execution and the playbook has been expanded.

Naeole is experimenting with and cross-training the O-line. Ulu-Perry was at RT after being at C most of the last week. Eli was at C today after being mostly at RG this week. Vanterpool who was at LT, was at LG. Graves who has been at RT and RG, was at C. Norman who has been at RT was backing up Allen at LT. Posa and Hensley rotated at RG. In individual drills Waa lined up at RT, while lining up at LG during the scrimmage. Kipper continued at RT.

Some of the highlights of the live scrimmage:

Brown threw a long TD pass to I think Ewaliko on first play of the live scrimmage.
McDonald lofted a TD pass to FR TE Greeley who outjumped a DB in the corner of the endzone.
McDonald flashed his sprinter speed down the sidelines for a 25 yard TD run
Holly cutback on an inside run for a 20 yard TD.
FR RB Reed is very quick and shifty running between the tackles.
FR RB Heliiliki is a strong big back with quick feet. He had run of about 20 yards and punished the tackler at the end.
Timoteo caught a pass in traffic, broke a tackle and scored a TD.
On an RPO play, Tuileta threw a TD pass to Stallworth.
Moala had a sack and a couple of hurries.
Tuiasoa lost weight and is much quicker and shiftier this year.
Hi uhwarriors,
Any new insights on the latest practices? Any comparisons to previous UH teams in the past? Do you think any of the QBs might be pushing Brown? See any weaknesses?
Thanks.
I will write something up this weekend.

Waryor
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Waryor »

thanks for the practice reports... keep um coming!

from tsai's blogs, the media reports and practice reports from fans... it sounds like this team is far ahead of schedule than any team since probably 2010. lots of depth too.

sounds like we have a lot of really good true freshman joining the team this year, but they won't even get a chance on the field because of our depth this year (with the exception of OT)