New Aloha Stadium concept

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

New Aloha Stadium concept

Post by EITSwarrior »

http://www.staradvertiser.com/2017/04/0 ... to-public/

After going over the report documents included, you can see how bad of a shape the current Aloha Stadium is in and the costs to maintain it just to be in a safe usable condition. Also in my opinion, the basic concept of the new stadium and surrounding area they have come up with in the report is very intriguing. Just a reminder that it is not the final design of the stadium and the surrounding area. And if you can please go over the reports, they go into detail of what they have in mind.

Love to hear your guys thoughts.

ulua
All-American
All-American
MLB: Marlins
NFL: Panthers

Re: New Aloha Stadium concept

Post by ulua »

So does this mean the end to the WAVE?????

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

ulua wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:21 pm So does this mean the end to the WAVE?????
Why would it end?

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Post by ubercow »

https://www.scribd.com/document/3442027 ... ent-Report

one end zone is open ended, but could potentially have 'beach burm' seating in that area. first thing I noticed, half the amount of parking stalls 4,000 vs 8,000, although I would be taking rail to the new stadium anyway.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

ubercow wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:09 am https://www.scribd.com/document/3442027 ... ent-Report

one end zone is open ended, but could potentially have 'beach burm' seating in that area. first thing I noticed, half the amount of parking stalls 4,000 vs 8,000, although I would be taking rail to the new stadium anyway.
That won't stop a "wave" from taking place.

As for the parking, from what I've read in the report they have plans for underground parking and/or a parking garage in addition to the parking stalls in that tree lined semi-circle thingy.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

UH should build a covered stadium in West Oahu. 50,000 seats. UH and private partnership (Chinese developers). Tell the stadium authority to go to hell.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

UnBiasFan wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:03 pm UH should build a covered stadium in West Oahu. 50,000 seats. UH and private partnership (Chinese developers). Tell the stadium authority to go to hell.
I used to think that was a good idea and a part of me still does, if only UH made West Oahu the main campus and developed a "college town" around it. In theory they could sell off the Manoa property for a hefty price if all things went right. But that makes too much sense for the city and state to do and is probably more expensive.

Back to the stadium. Why would you want a 50,000 seat stadium? The only way I see a crowd coming close to selling out a 50k stadium is if UH is contending for MWC championships year in year out and possible New Years Eve/Day bowl games. Plus I don't expect the Pro Bowl to come back or even exist at all in the coming years. A 35-40,000 seat stadium with expandable seating to 45,000 a good size, which is what they currently have planned. You can even build the stadium in a way that allows for building more seating sections if crowd demand is high in the future. Michigan Stadium, amongst others, was built with that in mind.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

This new stadium proposal makes sense to me.Aloha stadium is just too decrepit. The plan outlined in the SA article seems to be following the current path of new top-echelon sports facilities. There will be less seating but a more closer feel to the action, and seating could be expanded another 5-10 thousand seats if needed.The big driver for the local economy will be the mixed-use development around the proposed stadium. If properly executed, it would be like Baltimore's Camden Yards or Atlanta's Sun Trust Park facility.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

West oahu needs a real campus. They should build a stadium, student housing, restaurants, bars.... add lots of trees, a lake.... got to think big here.... make a college town.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

UH has no money to build their own stadium.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

Call the Chinese billionaire that is developing west Oahu. The Stadium authority can be rendered useless.

http://caflfootball.com

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

UnBiasFan wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:27 pm Call the Chinese billionaire that is developing west Oahu. The Stadium authority can be rendered useless.

By all means - make the call UnBias!
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

My3Cats wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:39 pm
UnBiasFan wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:27 pm Call the Chinese billionaire that is developing west Oahu. The Stadium authority can be rendered useless.

By all means - make the call UnBias!
Eugene, Oregon .... home of the Ducks is a good example..... here is the land

http://www.hawaii.edu/news/2017/01/30/d ... identified

BullNuts808
Pine rider
Pine rider
MLB: the off season

Post by BullNuts808 »

Hope they keep the same style of seatings because bench seating like other stadiums is the worst.
Last edited by BullNuts808 on Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

BullNuts808 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:32 pm Hope they keep the same style of seatings because bench seating like other stadiums. This is the worst.
Bench seating reminds of this epic scene.

Link