There’s a dark horse candidate for the new defensive assistant position

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
uhwarriors

There’s a dark horse candidate for the new defensive assistant position

Post by uhwarriors »

There are lots of names being suggested for the open defensive assistant position. Among them are Jacob Yoro, Phil Austin, Rich Miano, Richard Torres, Maa Tanuvasa, Vavae Tata, etc. Unless there is someone else out there better than any of these guys and willing to work for a UH assistant’s salary, I think there is a guy that no one has mentioned who may have the inside edge.

That guy is Marc Moody who is already on the staff as a GA. Moody isn’t your ordinary GA. He’s already been a coach at Pacific University for five years and replaced Jacob Yoro as the DC in 2015. He apparently took a big cut in responsibilities and pay to come back home to be a GA at UH. Some might argue that the St. Louis HS grad went away to school and shouldn’t be considered for the job. While he never played for UH, he was actually on the UH team in 2008 as a redshirt sophomore after playing at Mississippi Valley State in 2007 as a freshman. He then finished his college career at Saddleback CC and Pacific University.

Moody’s UH player profile: http://hawaiiathletics.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5273
Moody's UH GA profile: http://www.hawaiiathletics.com/coaches. ... ll&rc=1879

So Marc Moody is who I think is the dark horse candidate for the job. He has five years of college coaching already and was a DC. Rolo may or may not have known Moody previously, but he’s had a full year to evaluate if Moody has what he wants in an assistant. I’m not saying I know. I just know that Rolo knows what he wants and has had a year to watch Moody.

nostra_808
Starter
Starter

Re: There’s a dark horse candidate for the new defensive assistant position

Post by nostra_808 »

http://www.staradvertiser.com/2017/02/1 ... ordinator/

"Rolovich said the final full-time assistant coach’s position will be filled by Feb. 13. He said that coach likely will work with secondary coach Abraham Elimimian."

Moody was a D-line coach before DC at Pacific. He played LB in college, but he played FS at St. Louis.....so maybe...

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Palolo_2LA »

I am quite sure Miano is in the rearview mirror and will never coach again at UH. Another thing is UH has a small budget, so the reality is they will attract local coaches looking to return to the islands/stay on the islands or young coaches looking for an opportunity. It is apparent that Rolo understands the hand he has been dealt. Uh needs a DB coach that has solid credentials. Weather they played at UH should be irrelevant.
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

nostra_808 wrote:http://www.staradvertiser.com/2017/02/1 ... ordinator/

"Rolovich said the final full-time assistant coach’s position will be filled by Feb. 13. He said that coach likely will work with secondary coach Abraham Elimimian."

Moody was a D-line coach before DC at Pacific. He played LB in college, but he played FS at St. Louis.....so maybe...
He is helping coach the dline. I thought Rolo said that he was going after a db coach? I think we need to find a db coach. One that can also recruit.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

Being that we went 0-15 for local recruits, I think whoever he hires should have some value in the local recruiting game. It is unfortunate that Miano is not under consideration because he fills both roles (local recruiter and safeties coach) quite well.

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

poidog wrote:Being that we went 0-15 for local recruits, I think whoever he hires should have some value in the local recruiting game. It is unfortunate that Miano is not under consideration because he fills both roles (local recruiter and safeties coach) quite well.
That Sports Illustrated profile on Tua warned us going into 2016 that this was coming (the Mariota effect). Local recruiting will improve, I'm kinda glad the staff didn't force things. If local kids good enough to play at UH want to come, great. But cannot add local guys for the sake of numbers.

At the end of the day...the greatest UH team ever was spearheaded by a bunch of mainlanders (Breenan, Bess, RGM, etc.). Nobody will care where the players come from if the wins come in.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

J-Rod wrote:
poidog wrote:Being that we went 0-15 for local recruits, I think whoever he hires should have some value in the local recruiting game. It is unfortunate that Miano is not under consideration because he fills both roles (local recruiter and safeties coach) quite well.
That Sports Illustrated profile on Tua warned us going into 2016 that this was coming (the Mariota effect). Local recruiting will improve, I'm kinda glad the staff didn't force things. If local kids good enough to play at UH want to come, great. But cannot add local guys for the sake of numbers.

At the end of the day...the greatest UH team ever was spearheaded by a bunch of mainlanders (Breenan, Bess, RGM, etc.). Nobody will care where the players come from if the wins come in.
I heard some rumblings from campus about the less-experienced coaches not recruiting effectively as some others. there's a reason why Naeole, Suiaunoa, and Chaudhari's names come up so often with recruits and some of the other names not so much. don't get me wrong - I really liked our class and think it was the best in a long time. But that was in spite of whiffing on the top local recruits (some committed and decommitted, so it's not like we didn't want them) and not because we don't need them to be successful.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Should be hearing a AC hana pa'a any day now :-

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Just saw Rolo on the news he said that he has a hire and has submitted the name. We will probably know who it will be monday. The new hire will coach our safeties.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1: