"We're Back!"

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

"We're Back!"

Post by poidog »

How great was that to hear Rolo say that after the game? Say what you want about the guy, but he isn't afraid to say what everyone needs to hear. With a simple two-word sentence, Rolo put the final nail in the coffin of the previous era and raised expectations for the future. It remains to be seen if we will be taking 9-win seasons for granted again like we were during the June Jones days, but the bowl game showed us that we now have a team and a coaching staff that is determined to show up prepared and ready to play hard for 60 minutes and that they can show up and play with pride on national TV. When could we last say that?

A couple quick takeaways from the game and from the season:

-Saturday's game showed us the possibilities of a run-first, ball-control offense with effective use of play-action and what it can do. 500 yards of offense AND run/pass balance AND an advantage in time of possession? I'll take that. Not bad considering the offensive staff had to be reshuffled late in the game to make up for the original OC leaving.
-Four weeks of healing time helped a lot. I feel like the mid-season slump was a product of the obvious lack of depth, injuries, lack of experience, and the wear and tear of so much travel and not enough rest. A couple of good recruiting classes can fix that.
-I don't know if Dru Brown is the best QB on the roster, but the kid is a gamer. Marcus Kemp did a good job of adjusting to Brown's underthrown balls, but will whoever replaces him on the outside be able to do the same?
-We have the potential to be scary good 2 seasons from now.

Much more to say, but I'll leave it at that. I haven't felt this optimistic in so very long. I don't know if we really are back or not, but we're back!

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Re: "We're Back!"

Post by cabanalane »

I think Dru Brown has to be the starting QB for a 9 win season. Like you, not saying he is the best QB, but the stability and continuity is perhaps the best thing for the program. Thinking about 9 wins is a legit goal. Aiming for 13-0 is not. I think Brown will do much better with a real full camp and not just 4 weeks to prep - to become the starter.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Great job Rolo and staff and team! Everything looks positive going into the off-season and the near future. Who'd have thunk that Hawaii would have finished at 7-7 in 2016, and with a Hawaii Bowl win?
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

My3Cats wrote:Great job Rolo and staff and team! Everything looks positive going into the off-season and the near future. Who'd have thunk that Hawaii would have finished at 7-7 in 2016, and with a Hawaii Bowl win?
Yep, so many positives to build on. I like the WRs that we got coming in (if the keep their commitments) and returning from injuries. Plus the continued development of Timoteo.
ImageImage

Grinch
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Grinch »

Yup, skill positions on O look good. We lose a couple good ones on Oline, but have Ulu-Perry and others that should be ready.

Might be another thread, but what are the Warrior needs for next year? Kicker?
"The rise . . . of the Warriors."

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

I don't think any MW team can demand perfection anymore. This isn't the WAC...too difficult...but if Rolo can win 7 in year #1 despite so many disadvantages, you have to be excited about what is ahead.

No Boise, New Mexico, or Air Force in 2017. OOC schedule gets easier. Here we go folks, it's finally okay to expect 7-9 wins without being a total homer. 2017 could be fun.

couz808
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by couz808 »

Just gotta watch out for the sophomore slump next year. June jones 2nd year was 3-9. G Mack 2nd year was 5-7. Norm chows 2nd year was 1-12

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

We really need special teams help. We lose Rigo. Can't replace this guy. We lose Borden. This is the one position that goes unnoticed. We lose Ikaika. Who was so important to Rigo. Great positive attitude after losing his starting position. Special teams was huge for us. Hope we can rebuild. We do have a good coach. He is so creative. I can't wait to see what else he may have up his sleeve.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

We need more speed on defense. MTS speed was eye opening.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

cabanalane wrote:I think Dru Brown has to be the starting QB for a 9 win season. Like you, not saying he is the best QB, but the stability and continuity is perhaps the best thing for the program. Thinking about 9 wins is a legit goal. Aiming for 13-0 is not. I think Brown will do much better with a real full camp and not just 4 weeks to prep - to become the starter.
What we really need is to find a backup who can come in ready to play. Dru has a running style where he gets hit hard when he carries the ball. He needs to run faster, get down faster or sprint out of bounds. He looks like he is cruising down the boulevard when he is running. One of the reasons he has gotten caught from behind. I cringe every time he takes a hit.

Desert Isle
Play Maker
Play Maker
MLB: Diamondbacks
NBA: Suns
NFL: Cardinals

Post by Desert Isle »

Amazing debut season from Rolovich. To take a group of seniors with 8 career wins and show them how to win 7 times was remarkable. The Warriors got a winner.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

RedZone wrote:Special teams was huge for us. Hope we can rebuild. We do have a good coach. He is so creative. I can't wait to see what else he may have up his sleeve.
totally... kicking, punting, kickoff coverage, trick plays - so many strength areas on special teams this year. coach chaudhari is a star on the staff.

Grinch
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Grinch »

Great job by Rolo and staff.
To build on the success, seems like we'll need corners and a few dlinemen. With what we have coming back and coming in, things could get even better.
"The rise . . . of the Warriors."

BullNuts808
Pine rider
Pine rider
MLB: the off season

Post by BullNuts808 »

couz808 wrote:Just gotta watch out for the sophomore slump next year. June jones 2nd year was 3-9. G Mack 2nd year was 5-7. Norm chows 2nd year was 1-12
Good point. Aside from internal improvements, Fresno State, Nevada, and SJSU will have some "growing pains" next year with new HCs at the helm. We should see positive results in the West Div. :hello1: