It's Middle Tennessee

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Re: Guess whose the Hawaii bowl opponent!

Post by Irse »

I could care less about Milton and UCF. Hope Southern Miss or Middle Tenn.
ImageImage

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Post by stranger808 »

Irse wrote:I could care less about Milton and UCF. Hope Southern Miss or Middle Tenn.
Same here about Milton. I'd like to see 8-4 BYU, or 6-5 Army in the Hawaii Bowl. Both are Independents. BYU will draw the fans out, and Army would get the soldiers out, somewhat.

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference

Post by stranger808 »

stranger808 wrote:
Irse wrote:I could care less about Milton and UCF. Hope Southern Miss or Middle Tenn.
Same here about Milton. If the Hawaii Bowl can't get a P-5 team, I'd like to see 8-4 BYU, or 6-5 Army in the Hawaii Bowl. Both are Independents. BYU will draw the fans out, and Army would get the soldiers out, somewhat.

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets
NFL: Buffalo Bills

Post by wyokie »

stranger808 wrote:
Same here about Milton. I'd like to see 8-4 BYU, or 6-5 Army in the Hawaii Bowl. Both are Independents. BYU will draw the fans out, and Army would get the soldiers out, somewhat.
BYU is out since they are tied to the Poinsettia Bowl (where Wyoming might play at IF we lose this Saturday).

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

I'm hoping it's not Western Kentucky. They'll probably win the CUSA Championship and can pick. They blew out Old Dominion and ODU is pretty good. Southern Miss would be cool because they're basketball team is in the Diamond Head Classic, albeit across the bracket from us. But it could end up that we play them in a consolation game and then in football within days of each other.

LaTech is meh. I feel like a Bowl Game should be against an non-typical opponent who's of higher competition. LaTech would just feel like another conference game since it's a throwback to them WAC days

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference

Post by stranger808 »

[quote="Neighbor"]I'm hoping it's not Western Kentucky. They'll probably win the CUSA Championship and can pick. They blew out Old Dominion and ODU is pretty good. Southern Miss would be cool because they're basketball team is in the Diamond Head Classic, albeit across the bracket from us. But it could end up that we play them in a consolation game and then in football within days of each other.

LaTech is meh. I feel like a Bowl Game should be against an non-typical opponent who's of higher competition. LaTech would just feel like another conference game since it's a throwback to them WAC days[/quote]

yup, I would like a tie in with a P-5 conference.

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

It's a question that brings up an interesting discussion. Can't do anything about the C-USA tie-in right now. MW bowl tie-ins are abysmal to begin with. MW champ, if not in the NY6, plays the 6th or 7th place Pac-12 school.

Let's say the Rolo era goes the way we hope. By year 4-5, if UH is winning 8-9 games...at what point does the Hawaii Bowl vs. C-USA get old? Time for a mainland bowl? Hope the Hawaii Bowl can negotiate something else?

BullNuts808
Pine rider
Pine rider
MLB: the off season

Post by BullNuts808 »

Middle Tennessee.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

I truly miss the old WAC days. I truly miss competing in the Hawaii Bowl too. At least I could catch a few games on ESPN...and certainly the Hawaii Bowl on Christmas Eve!

We are never going to be better than the Hawaii Bowl...except for rare glimpses. Heck, even Georgia has not seen a premier bowl game since the Sugar Bowl in 2007.

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference

Post by stranger808 »

J-Rod wrote:It's a question that brings up an interesting discussion. Can't do anything about the C-USA tie-in right now. MW bowl tie-ins are abysmal to begin with. MW champ, if not in the NY6, plays the 6th or 7th place Pac-12 school.

Let's say the Rolo era goes the way we hope. By year 4-5, if UH is winning 8-9 games...at what point does the Hawaii Bowl vs. C-USA get old? Time for a mainland bowl? Hope the Hawaii Bowl can negotiate something else?

The C-USA tie-in is a ho-hum affair—just another game. It should be a tie-in with a P5 team. I'd take a P5 5th or 6th place team over the C-USA champion or runners-up team. When does the contract with the C-USA end?

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

stranger808 wrote:
J-Rod wrote:It's a question that brings up an interesting discussion. Can't do anything about the C-USA tie-in right now. MW bowl tie-ins are abysmal to begin with. MW champ, if not in the NY6, plays the 6th or 7th place Pac-12 school.

The C-USA tie-in is a ho-hum affair—just another game. It should be a tie-in with a P5 team. I'd take a P5 5th or 6th place team over the C-USA champion or runners-up team. When does the contract with the C-USA end?
Not sure a P5 conference would like a tie in with teh Hawaii Bowl. Payout is not great and the cost to come over would be high at that time of the year.
ImageImage

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

That's the thing though, this isn't 2003. Bowl tie-ins have never been worse. P5 schools are dodging G5 more than ever. The MW CHAMPION gets a 6th or 7th place Pac-12 school. the rest of the bowl bids are vs. other G5 programs. Apparently Craig Thompson is not the best negotiator.

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference

Post by stranger808 »

J-Rod wrote:That's the thing though, this isn't 2003. Bowl tie-ins have never been worse. P5 schools are dodging G5 more than ever. The MW CHAMPION gets a 6th or 7th place Pac-12 school. the rest of the bowl bids are vs. other G5 programs. Apparently Craig Thompson is not the best negotiator.

dammit! That's all I can say. The haves, and the have nots.

In other news kinda related...The NFL will play 12 games on the 24th of December, with 1 game (the NFL night game) competing with the Hawaii Bowl. :(

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference

Post by stranger808 »

BullNuts808 wrote:Middle Tennessee.

looks like it is.

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Dodgers
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Vikings

Post by bigislandkurt »

Middle Tennessee is 8-4 with a victory over the University of Missouri at Missouri's home field. They sport a 5-2 road record. They don't seem to have much of a defense, but their offense will light you up. They put up 74 points in their last game against Florida Atlantic. FAU put up 56 and still lost. Our defense will have its hands full.
Friendship is Essential to the Soul