ulua
All-American
All-American
MLB: Marlins
NFL: Panthers

Your thought on our OC

Post by ulua »

Ok we have one on our DC, so lets be fair and have one on our OC

Our Offense started out looking promising, but after the Nevada game, everyone has seemed to figure us out, and in the past 5 games our OC failed to make any adjustments, in game or in preparation for the next opponent, so predictable.
and with DSJ out yesterday, why did we not mix in Harris earlier and more often. Also our O just doesn't seem to have that fire in their eyes anymore why is that?

Is it time to give Stutz a chance at the play calling?

What's your thoughts

Optimus
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Re: Your thought on our OC

Post by Optimus »

Good post, Roll needs to hire a seasoned OC with either D1 or NFL experience. Our current OCs don't seems to know how to adjust to defenses. It is starting to remind me of the Norm Chow era with the Grad Asst calling the plays. Note, June just led Kapolei over a Punahou. NO way would Hernandez ever have gotten this far. June would work for the minimum.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

We need to see more alignments. We can't just work out of the read option and five receiver sets. They obviously know where our throwing lanes are and are placing defenders there. Our qbs staring down our receivers aren't helping. Starting to see up to 3 defenders around our receivers. I don't know why they send Collie over the middle. He takes his eyes off of the ball because he is expecting the hit. He is better to the outside. We aren't getting enough movement to run inside. If you want to see how it is done watch the SDSU oline.

I don't think that Stutz is the answer. Quarterback is the one position where we are having a lot of problems. I think if he is comfortable enough Rolo should take over his offense until he finds someone on the staff who can get the job done.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

First, let's get a full complement of fast, soft hand receivers to go along with our RBs, FGs, and TEs. Then, let's get a QB that won't throw as many interceptions with a good touch on deep balls. After that, if Smith can't cut it as OC, we go look around.

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

ono
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by ono »

ulua wrote:Ok we have one on our DC, so lets be fair and have one on our OC

Our Offense started out looking promising, but after the Nevada game, everyone has seemed to figure us out, and in the past 5 games our OC failed to make any adjustments, in game or in preparation for the next opponent, so predictable.
and with DSJ out yesterday, why did we not mix in Harris earlier and more often. Also our O just doesn't seem to have that fire in their eyes anymore why is that?

What's your thoughts

Agree.

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Post by stranger808 »

Rolo, year one. We expected an inconsistent and tough road. The warriors are where most of us expected them to be as far as the win column goes. Execution was the main problem against SDSU, not the play-calling, in my opinion.

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

At the start of the season, I didn't see all that many predicting more than 4 wins. We are where most predicted or 1 game better. We still have three to go and will likely finish with 6 wins, or about twice the number of wins I would have predicted under Chow. We got a lot of freshmen playing. 10 on defense against SDSU, with one sitting out due to injury. We have a first year QB at the helm running new offense. We got a few freshmen receivers on Offense as well. Considering this, we are doing really well. I think.

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

I kind of felt that since Rolo was part of the old regime and was OC, there was a good chance we could do well this year. There were some athletes from the Chow era but they didn't seem to play together like they are this year. There was a brief hint of change in the offense so we may be close with Boise this week.

...Hillary got trumped, let's get over it. Thank God for football.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

There is an OC? I don't think a center should be OC. The same way a slot receiver should not be the QB coach. They are Rolor's guys, and I get that. Sometimes you can not just bottle that magic from the past and expect it to work.

I recall watching an video of when Colt Brennan went to a NFL camp. They were consistently correcting him on the little things, like footwork, body, arm, etc (things I don't understand). My point is, get the expert teachers in the respective position. Not just your friends.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Actually if UH had the money, the expectations of the coaches would be more. Zak Hill was OC until stolen from us by Boise State so Rolo had to find somebody in a short period of time. I don't know what the underlying situation is with June Jones and Rolo is but you kind of think that if people want to give back to the community that supported their rise, you hope that we could get June Jones as OC under Rolo.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Jones is not the answer anymore. Age is nothing but a number, but at some point (with age) the fire is not there anymore. Recall how UH wanted Chow for years, going back to the BYU days. And even after that, could not get Chow. When UH finally got Chow, it was clear that Chow was past his prime. We can say Dick Tomey too. His prime was with UH and Arizona. The old coach kind of putted along with San Jose. And finished his coaching career with UH as special team coach. No doubt he could jump in at anytime, but the fire was not there.

Most of all, the teacher will not work under the student. No matter how much they love UH football, there is the ego too.

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference

Post by stranger808 »

no to June Jones. JJ schemes for the most part are old and won't work in D1 football anymore, the DC's have caught up to that offense. IMO

I think its more execution than the offensive play calling, sure, i've seen a couple of times i would have liked to see a different play called, but overall its been sound. P. Harris got 145 yds running the ball, but I don't like him in there on passing downs. Harris continues to be a liability if he's not getting the ball. Watch him on the passing downs, i hate to say it, but he's scared to block. I seen it last season against Wisconsin when he let Wittek get blown-up and again watched when he whiffed on pass protection. I'm sick of it. He's going to get our QB hurt.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Fresno State allowed only 17 points against SDSU. The offense has something to prove. It'll be a statement for next year.

Amazing too, that UNLV has played different quarterbacks and won big games. Snead blew away Hawaii with his passing and running, then a completely different quarterback plays the entire game against Wyoming and has major yardage in passing and running and it wasn't Snead.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

(Joke) Should UH bring Norm Chow back? The last two teams seem to run more of the Pro-set offense. Was Chow ahead of his time? Or everything is retro. What was old is now new again.

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference

Post by stranger808 »

ulua wrote:Ok we have one on our DC, so lets be fair and have one on our OC

What's your thoughts

From what I have seen, we're pretty predictable like most here have stated. For example, 90-95% of the time when we're in the H-back Pistol or Pistol formation we run the ball. When we go to the 1 RB off set, 4-wide shotgun formation, 90-95% of the time we pass the ball. The only time I remember seeing the warriors pass out of the Pistol is when Brown fakes a dive to his left and rolls out to his right and throws to the right sideline area.

To take full advantage of the Pistol formations, we have to be able to pass out of the H-back Pistol, and Pistol formation to keep the defense honest.In turn, that will keep the defense from placing 8-9 players in the box to defend the run—which they are doing. We need to run counters to the bread and butter dive plays, run more play action out of the Pistol formations and throw deep. Once in awhile I would like to see the warriors come out in the H-Back Pistol/Pistol formation and pass on first down. It would be great to pass on first down to start the game, that'll totally shock the defense. IMHO