shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Re: Your thought on our OC

Post by shrek2 »

I totally agree about the predictability of the offense. But even if they pass on the first down like they did in a couple of games on the first play, they still fall back to run on second by Lakalaka, then Kemp on third down in double coverage. Part of all of this is Dru Brown's ability to read the defense which he cannot do very well in the scheme that they have. He should never call his number twice in a row but it should be a surprise. It may be too that Brown's lack of arm strength is a big drawback to stretching the field. But he is the best touch quarterback in the system. This late in the season, I don't know why they don't swap out quarterbacks depending on situations. At this point trickeration is the way to go to win without the talent.

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Post by stranger808 »

shrek2 wrote:I totally agree about the predictability of the offense. But even if they pass on the first down like they did in a couple of games on the first play, they still fall back to run on second by Lakalaka, then Kemp on third down in double coverage. Part of all of this is Dru Brown's ability to read the defense which he cannot do very well in the scheme that they have. He should never call his number twice in a row but it should be a surprise. It may be too that Brown's lack of arm strength is a big drawback to stretching the field. But he is the best touch quarterback in the system. This late in the season, I don't know why they don't swap out quarterbacks depending on situations. At this point trickeration is the way to go to win without the talent.
IDK, i think this team has talent on offense. Brown is a sophomore, he came in late, the bugga still learning the offense. we are lucky to have him in my opinion. BTW, what happened to throwing short and having the WR come back to the ball? Brown was successful in his early starts, but i haven't seen that play lately. Any clue why we're not doing that anymore?

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

stranger808 wrote:
we are lucky to have him in my opinion. BTW, what happened to throwing short and having the WR come back to the ball? Brown was successful in his early starts, but i haven't seen that play lately. Any clue why we're not doing that anymore?
Been watching some videos of Chang, Rolo, and Colt. Their balls travel at a fast speed. Even Moniz got some zip, but not as fast at the other three. In saying that, I'm don't think Brown is "the Answer" in terms of of a gun slinger. But he is a lot better than Woolsey. I wonder where UH would be if Brown did not start.

Brown does remind of of a short Greg Tipton.

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference

Post by stranger808 »

cabanalane wrote:
stranger808 wrote:
we are lucky to have him in my opinion. BTW, what happened to throwing short and having the WR come back to the ball? Brown was successful in his early starts, but i haven't seen that play lately. Any clue why we're not doing that anymore?
Been watching some videos of Chang, Rolo, and Colt. Their balls travel at a fast speed. Even Moniz got some zip, but not as fast at the other three. In saying that, I'm don't think Brown is "the Answer" in terms of of a gun slinger. But he is a lot better than Woolsey. I wonder where UH would be if Brown did not start.

I don't believe anyone thinks Dru is the answer, but I'll take his savvy, and 60% completion rate over Woolsey's 49%. Without Dru, we don't win 5 games. I believe Cole McDonald will be our starter next season.

edit: I forgot about Brownholtz. McDonald or Brownholtz will be our stater next season. IMO
Last edited by stranger808 on Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

stranger808 wrote:
cabanalane wrote:
stranger808 wrote:

I don't believe anyone thinks Dru is the answer, but I'll take his savvy, and 60% completion rate over Woolsey's 49%. Without Dru, we don't win 5 games. I believe Cole McDonald will be our starter next season.
Woolsey proved that our receivers cannot hang on to fast balls.

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

I realize that Brian Smith may be handcuffed in his play calling because of the level of talent on offense, and that Rolo and Stutz can only do so much in game planning, again because of the level of talent, but come on ... that was Flintstones Football yesterday. Running the rock into the middle of the line against 8 to 9 players in the box? Dru's passes also come out of his hand really slow because he has to wind his arm back. Compared to Chang's, Brennan's and Moniz' release - it's like watching grass grow. That's probably one of the reasons why the opposing defensive backs can get to the play on time or soon after the receiver gets the ball.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

My3Cats wrote: Dru's passes also come out of his hand really slow because he has to wind his arm back. Compared to Chang's, Brennan's and Moniz' release - it's like watching grass grow. .
Nothing is worst than watching Garrett Gabriel's throw. It often sail like a dead duck. He was drafted by Tomey, but played in the Johnson Wagner system. So the team really didn't need him to throw for the triple option. I rank GB as one of the "worst" thrower of the top QBs in UH history.

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference

Post by stranger808 »

madeinhawaii wrote:
stranger808 wrote:
cabanalane wrote:

Woolsey proved that our receivers cannot hang on to fast balls.
:lol:

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference

Post by stranger808 »

My3Cats wrote:I realize that Brian Smith may be handcuffed in his play calling because of the level of talent on offense, and that Rolo and Stutz can only do so much in game planning, again because of the level of talent, but come on ... that was Flintstones Football yesterday. Running the rock into the middle of the line against 8 to 9 players in the box? Dru's passes also come out of his hand really slow because he has to wind his arm back. Compared to Chang's, Brennan's and Moniz' release - it's like watching grass grow. That's probably one of the reasons why the opposing defensive backs can get to the play on time or soon after the receiver gets the ball.

I agree. In addition, more creativity is needed. Dru is the starter, so play to Dru's strength. Dru used to run a triple option offense, why isn't he running the ball more?

** I stand corrected. I just found, and read the Boise State Na Koa lunch report. OC Smith and the Warriors did run some triple option plays. Good on them for trying to play to Dru's strengths.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

stranger808 wrote:
I agree. In addition, more creativity is needed. Dru is the starter, so play to Dru's strength. Dru used to run a triple option offense, why isn't he running the ball more?

** I stand corrected. I just found, and read the Boise State Na Koa lunch report. OC Smith and the Warriors did run some triple option plays. Good on them for trying to play to Dru's strengths.

I didn't know that about Brown. The way he runs, does look like Option is in his blood, somewhat. As his "passes" doesn't look exactly like the traditional run-and-shoot QB.

I love to see the (Carter or Jasper) triple option again. Just for some flash now and then.

Bching5565
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Bching5565 »

I love our OC Brian Smith!! He's done a great job and the guys are responding!! Wait till next year with more recruits and a great showing in the Hawaii bowl they will be great again. I know he will be great!! Thanks Coach Brian Smith!!

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

Being predictable is one thing. Being stoppable, is another. Lots of good teams are predictable, but unstoppable.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

madeinhawaii wrote:Being predictable is one thing. Being stoppable, is another. Lots of good teams are predictable, but unstoppable.
Because they have more talent than their opponents. Not so much if the talent level is equal.
ImageImage

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

Irse wrote:
madeinhawaii wrote:Being predictable is one thing. Being stoppable, is another. Lots of good teams are predictable, but unstoppable.
Because they have more talent than their opponents. Not so much if the talent level is equal.
Or they know how to create those unbalanced advantages. Tall man against a shorter man.. speed vs lack of speed... etc. But, you're right, talent is crucial, and we need more talent, and depth thereof, before we can judge the OC or DC.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

We just can't have a qb who fumbles. It has been a problem that the coaches haven't been able to correct.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1: