Post by Grinch »

200% this one
"The rise . . . of the Warriors."

seasider
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Re: Looks like longshot for KT to return

Post by seasider »

Brennan, Bess, Tinoisamoa were given a 2nd chance, and made Hawaii proud...WHY not Kennedy?

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

I haven't researched it, and don't intend to, but I believe that the current student athlete code of conduct was enacted after Brennan, Bess, Tinoisamoa et all were in attendance.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

My3Cats wrote:I haven't researched it, and don't intend to, but I believe that the current student athlete code of conduct was enacted after Brennan, Bess, Tinoisamoa et all were in attendance.
Still, it's a cop-out. Kennedy's circumstances are hardly what one thinks of when imagining a felony crime. The letter of this rule (not law) does not fit the petty nature of the complaint. It has to be the least egregious, reported act by any NCAA athlete in the history of the game. Sorry, I don't understand why this whole comedy of official errors occurred, but I do wish Kennedy all the best.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

SundayJam wrote:
My3Cats wrote:I haven't researched it, and don't intend to, but I believe that the current student athlete code of conduct was enacted after Brennan, Bess, Tinoisamoa et all were in attendance.
Still, it's a cop-out. Kennedy's circumstances are hardly what one thinks of when imagining a felony crime. The letter of this rule (not law) does not fit the petty nature of the complaint. It has to be the least egregious, reported act by any NCAA athlete in the history of the game. Sorry, I don't understand why this whole comedy of official errors occurred, but I do wish Kennedy all the best.
I don't agree with what UH is doing either, but this one is in the purview of the legal and academic folks, of which I am not. And like it or not, no matter what we people on these forums say, won't make a dent in anyone's decision going forward. Discussion and dissension yes, influence no.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

UH is just following the rules set for the athletes. I think a felony, which is serious, is excessive for causing $1500 of damage to property which should cause lawmakers to take a look at altering the law. Common sense would say that if the person who causes the damage to property and is willing to pay then the Calls for Service by the police doesn't become an arrest unless he refuses to pay; then charges are pressed. Then it goes to small claims court where the person who was harmed can sue for time, attorney fees and $1500 worth of damage. Basically when a person is charged with a felony, he will not be looked on favorably by his future employer. His life is ruined. Domestic abuse on the other hand as it is increasing with football players, should be treated harshly on the field. Suspension of some sort is necessary as well as community service. Being kicked off the team is one of the options if the charges are serious enough. This is only what I've read from the papers and from this forum. What happened to common sense in this whole situation?
Last edited by shrek2 on Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

To be clear: No domestic abuse charges have been made. When it became clear that nothing would come of this law enforcement created situation, a different crime was fabricated. As an outside observer, I see nothing but smoke, mirrors and sensationalism. I get that his relationship was noisy and that he pissed off his neighbors on more than one occasion. From my point of view, getting help for this young leader of the team would have been a more appropriate action by the school.

When I google dashboard navigators...I can see how unfortunate it was that this young man chose to vent his anger on the wrong object. However, one must really consider criminal intent here. Why anyone in Hawaii would need a navigator is beyond me.

Again, good luck KT.
Don't let this b.s. be the end of you.
Become the better for it whether on the field or off of it.

Makana
Starter
Starter
MLB: San Francisco Giants
NBA: The Bay Warriors
NFL: San Francisco 49ers

Post by Makana »

SundayJam wrote:
xer 21 wrote:
Makana wrote:Well this dumb okole shouldn't have put himself in this situation in the first place. No one to blame but himself.
200% this.
I beg to differ. If I were Kennedy, I would've pulled the "wasn't me" defense. Try and prove it...Beaches. He's a kid who let his emotions get the better of him. The school really should have helped him. This was not a crime. How many of you punched an object instead of a person when enraged? Give me a break.

Anyway, it seems the politically correct suits have decided to 86 this champion of our team to make themselves feel better about themselves. Good luck, Kennedy. Finish your degree at Manoa's expense, please. Make the world a better place despite the scorn of idiots. More importantly, learn from your mistakes...however minor they may be.

Yah I could see if this was a one time thing, but this knuckle head got arrested twice in what two weeks, what a frickin moron.

If you know your potential and know you could possibly be drafted, you need to think about your actions, think about the consequences. I'm not sure how much you follow NFL scouting, but I've heard of NFL coaches doing background checks all the way back to a players pee wee coach. Keeping your nose clean from college to the NFL is a lot more crucial now that they've been cracking down on domestic violence in the NFL, that's an automatic red flag that can cost a player who is entering the draft millions of dollars.

It's so frickin unbelievable how some of these players with so much talent just throw away their careers over something stupid like this that could've been easily avoided by just thinking before reacting.
“Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere.”
― Albert Einstein

“Jiu-Jitsu is like a philosophy. It helps me learn how to face life.”
-Helio Gracie

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Makana wrote:

Yah I could see if this was a one time thing, but this knuckle head got arrested twice in what two weeks, what a frickin moron.

He was arrested the first time after cops broke down his door on an unsubstantiated hunch. From all that I've read or watched regarding this situation, I gather that the main infraction here is that the neighbors didn't like the fact that the couple was so noisy...always arguing. The second arrest came about because the girl's dad phoned in a complaint about an earlier, unreported incident. Kennedy apparently punched dad's dashboard during another argument with his girlfriend. When dad found out no serious charging were being pressed, he phoned in an, "OH YEAH, what about this?!!!" complaint. If it was me, I'd have given a "wasn't me" plea. Let them prove it.

I'm sorry, I can see no criminal intent or action here. The kid needed counseling not arrests or headlines. This is manini kind stuff, in my opinion. In regard to the NFL, it is always a long shot. If he gets his act together...ie he doesn't let the circumstances get the better of him...he still has a chance.

Grinch
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Grinch »

When I was that age, I did alot of stupid things. Luckily I was given second chances. If KT is taking responsibility for his actions - give um another chance.
Regarding the NFL - it's true that they look to see what kind of character and stuff a player has/had. Again, hopefully KT has or is willing to learn that he gotta control himself. I just hope he doesn't get his chance at the NFL by transferring to another college team.
"The rise . . . of the Warriors."

Makana
Starter
Starter

Post by Makana »

SundayJam wrote:
Makana wrote:

He was arrested the first time after cops broke down his door on an unsubstantiated hunch. From all that I've read or watched regarding this situation, I gather that the main infraction here is that the neighbors didn't like the fact that the couple was so noisy...always arguing. The second arrest came about because the girl's dad phoned in a complaint about an earlier, unreported incident. Kennedy apparently punched dad's dashboard during another argument with his girlfriend. When dad found out no serious charging were being pressed, he phoned in an, "OH YEAH, what about this?!!!" complaint. If it was me, I'd have given a "wasn't me" plea. Let them prove it.

I'm sorry, I can see no criminal intent or action here. The kid needed counseling not arrests or headlines. This is manini kind stuff, in my opinion. In regard to the NFL, it is always a long shot. If he gets his act together...ie he doesn't let the circumstances get the better of him...he still has a chance.
You're right KT is absolutely innocent and police just arrest people on a hunch or noise complaints. SMFH

You know how bad of a crime you did when you have to post a $20,000 bail.

I was arrested for fighting and property damage and my bail was nowhere near that.

KT is just a head case that shoots himself in the foot plain and simple, nobody to blame but himself.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2636 ... in-2-weeks
― Albert Einstein

-Helio Gracie

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Makana wrote:
You're right KT is absolutely innocent and police just arrest people on a hunch or noise complaints. SMFH

I was arrested for fighting and property damage and my bail was nowhere near that.

KT is just a head case that shoots himself in the foot plain and simple, nobody to blame but himself.

This is exactly my point. You were involved in criminal behavior and nothing came of it. Had you been someone famous, you'd have made the headlines and the police would have had to make sure the charges stuck. The original charges did not stick. They had to go back to a previously unreported incident to make something happen. The article you cite only confirms my hypothesis. I see no criminal behavior or intent in what I read. I still believe counseling was the better course of action.

Makana
Starter
Starter

Post by Makana »

SundayJam wrote:
Makana wrote:

This is exactly my point. You were involved in criminal behavior and nothing came of it. Had you been someone famous, you'd have made the headlines and the police would have had to make sure the charges stuck. The original charges did not stick. They had to go back to a previously unreported incident to make something happen. The article you cite only confirms my hypothesis. I see no criminal behavior or intent in what I read. I still believe counseling was the better course of action.
My point for mentioning my arrest is that the bail was so small compared to KT's that KT may have done more than what you have read. You know who gets $20k bails....drug dealers, and if KT's crime is comparable (which it is) then a dismissal from the team fit the punishment. And like I said, no matter what, there's no one to blame but KT himself for putting himself in this position whether he's innocent or guilty of the crime it doesn't matter.
― Albert Einstein

-Helio Gracie

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Makana wrote:
My point for mentioning my arrest is that the bail was so small compared to KT's that KT may have done more than what you have read. You know who gets $20k bails....drug dealers, and if KT's crime is comparable (which it is) then a dismissal from the team fit the punishment. And like I said, no matter what, there's no one to blame but KT himself for putting himself in this position whether he's innocent or guilty of the crime it doesn't matter.
Jeez...now you're comparing KT to a drug dealer.
Makana wrote: whether he's innocent or guilty of the crime it doesn't matter.
LOLLzzz. Oh, really?

Eyewitnesses were quoted as saying the whole initial incident was blown way out of proportion. The crime he's being kicked off the team for is punching his girlfriend's dashboard during a prior argument. It was very unlucky that an expensive piece of useless technical garbage was damaged (a navigator). All one need do in Hawaii is flip an index card from Mauka to Makai when crossing the mountains. The damage to the dashboard doo-hickey didn't even matter until a month later when KT made head lines. So yeah, I'd say the punishment does not match the crime.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by st808 »

kt was removed from his apartment, subjected to arrest and detention while completely naked in broad daylight laying on the ground in plain sight in the parking lot of his apartment complex. you can not imagine the complete humiliation kt felt while cops lingered over him joking as they stretched out the investigation before putting him into a car and transporting him to the station. he had his dignity trampled on needlessly by the arresting officers who kept him naked. when his team mate begged for something to cover kt, the cops refused to do so and instead arrested the team mate as well.

kt's name and nakedness headlined all newscasts and print for weeks, locally and nationally. kt lost his position on the football team and will likely lose his athletic scholarship at the end of the current semester.

even those who experienced arrest will never experience the depths of public shame, loss of dignity, and embarrassment kt went through and continues to experience with every retelling of his arrest story.

if you feel justice exists to further punishment for crimes, i suggest that kt has absorbed more punishment than a conviction and sentencing would deliver. kt has sustained enormous public punishment, akin to placing him naked in the national town square stockade for lesser people to mock and insult.

if you feel justice exists to modify and rehabilitate errant behavior, returning the offender as a better person to society, remember, the hawaii revised statutes codifies the "spirit of aloha." hawaii law encourages state agencies and their leaders to embrace the "spirit of aloha" when implementing decisions that forever affect the lives and futures of our citizens.

yes, kt committed crimes, he was arrested. he requested a deferred plea and the court accepted the request as courts do in many cases where judges feel defendants deserve a chance to recover their dignity and return to society as good citizens. the court said kt deserves a chance to get back on his feet.

it's time the u.h. administration acknowledge hawaii state law codifying the "aloha spirit" and take a positive step in recovering a fallen errant student by exercising the "aloha spirit" and return kt to scholarship status for u.h. classes and allow him to return to playing football. a college degree and a chance at playing in the nfl is his best opportunity of breaking the chains of polynesian poverty many of his and our people find themselves locked in.

kt deserves a chance in the "spirit of aloha."