shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Interviews of Players by Journalists gotta change

Post by shrek2 »

I watched the interview of Dru Brown, Marcus Kemp and Paul Harris and I thought the journalists in the audience were brutal to not only the players but the program as well. They don't realize it but when they get negative about the program, the program goes downhill and their jobs get axed. It goes full circle. They need to screen the journalists that ask questions that don't put negative spotlights on the player they are interviewing or negative spotlights on the program.

NO WAY should the journalists have been asking the kinds of questions they were asking Dru Brown. To these Saturday night quarterbacks asking the questions, could they have made a positive impact if they were playing or more importantly at their stage in life, how can they make a positive impact on the University of Hawaii program. The kids that play for Hawaii are amateurs and they get asked questions that I don't even see professional athletes get asked. I know that Hawaii is still small time but they need to get with the rest of the world and realize that nothing comes of asking pointed questions of their performance when they know they're disappointed.

Kudos to all three Hawaii players for fielding the questions and doing with poise and grace. Thank you for playing for the University of Hawaii and making us proud and making us believe again. You make my Saturdays the best day of the week. Mahalo.

Optimus
High-quality H20 provider

Re: Interviews of Players by Journalists gotta change

Post by Optimus »

Who was asking, might I ask?

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

To me the questions asked are like asking a baseball player who struck out in the bottom of the ninth what kind of pitch the pitcher threw him and going over the three pitches that caused him to strike out. Thank God we have the players that we do. It took Marcus Kemp to set the journalist straight. Here's the group being asked the questions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GXZqMB ... e=youtu.be

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by xer 21 »

shrek2 wrote:I watched the interview of Dru Brown, Marcus Kemp and Paul Harris and I thought the journalists in the audience were brutal to not only the players but the program as well. They don't realize it but when they get negative about the program, the program goes downhill and their jobs get axed. It goes full circle. They need to screen the journalists that ask questions that don't put negative spotlights on the player they are interviewing or negative spotlights on the program.
A journalist's job isnt to protect the image of the university or the players. you're essentially asking them to censor the press.

dont want brutal questions? dont screw up. simple.

those journalists arent going to get axed because the program might go downhill if they get too tough on people. we already hit rock bottom and they're still there.

Sorry, but this is stupid. they're adults. The athletes can suck it up. its part of being a public figure. the journalists are doing exactly what therir job is when they ask the uncomfortable questions.

They're not university employees, they arent supposed to be trying to pump up the university.
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

xer 21 wrote:
shrek2 wrote:I watched the interview of Dru Brown, Marcus Kemp and Paul Harris and I thought the journalists in the audience were brutal to not only the players but the program as well. They don't realize it but when they get negative about the program, the program goes downhill and their jobs get axed. It goes full circle. They need to screen the journalists that ask questions that don't put negative spotlights on the player they are interviewing or negative spotlights on the program.
A journalist's job isnt to protect the image of the university or the players. you're essentially asking them to censor the press.

those journalists arent going to get axed because the program might go downhill if they get too tough on people. we already hit rock bottom and they're still there.

Sorry, but this is stupid. they're adults. The athletes can suck it up. its part of being a public figure. the journalists are doing exactly what therir job is when they ask the uncomfortable questions.

They're not university employees, they arent supposed to be trying to pump up the university.
I guess this is why Cam Newton walked out on the press today. He's a professional but these are kids are amateurs and thank God these kids have got it all together. I don't think Trump should be censored. I think that there is something called class and the kids showed it. "Live aloha, play warrior."

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by xer 21 »

shrek2 wrote:
xer 21 wrote:

I guess this is why Cam Newton walked out on the press today. He's a professional but these are kids are amateurs and thank God these kids have got it all together. I don't think Trump should be censored. I think that there is something called class and the kids showed it. "Live aloha, play warrior."
they're not kids. they're 18-22 year olds. they're men. lets stop trying to coddle them. its just so condescending to call them kids when we go and expect the best of them everywhere else.

there was nothing classless about the questions asked.

targets.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

xer 21 wrote:
shrek2 wrote:
xer 21 wrote: A journalist's job isnt to protect the image of the university or the players. you're essentially asking them to censor the press.

they're not kids. they're 18-22 year olds. they're men. lets stop trying to coddle them. its just so condescending to call them kids when we go and expect the best of them everywhere else.

Well I guess we all can go get a beer and talk about it. Too bad most of the kids can't because they're too young and can't afford it as well. I guess they just play for pride and some of them still feel like they are playing for the pride of the islands.

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by xer 21 »

shrek2 wrote:
xer 21 wrote:
shrek2 wrote: I guess this is why Cam Newton walked out on the press today. He's a professional but these are kids are amateurs and thank God these kids have got it all together. I don't think Trump should be censored. I think that there is something called class and the kids showed it. "Live aloha, play warrior."

Well I guess we all can go get a beer and talk about it. Too bad most of the kids can't because they're too young and can't afford it as well. I guess they just play for pride and some of them still feel like they are playing for the pride of the islands.
no offense, but whats your point?

targets.

vailima
All-conference
All-conference

Post by vailima »

I thought the interview was good...and the way the players responded and handled themselves even better. They'll bounce back, i hope the fans keep coming to the game, the boys need that.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

vailima wrote:I thought the interview was good...and the way the players responded and handled themselves even better. They'll bounce back, i hope the fans keep coming to the game, the boys need that.
I agree. We shouldn't put a muzzle on journalist. At the same time it is okay to disagree with how they do things. I thought it went well. Had we won it would have been better.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

amela

Post by amela »

Optimus wrote:Who was asking, might I ask?
I thought the interviewers were brutal too. It seems like they were blaming Dru for the loss and congrats to Kemp for standing up for his teammate.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

amela wrote:
Optimus wrote:Who was asking, might I ask?
I thought the interviewers were brutal too. It seems like they were blaming Dru for the loss and congrats to Kemp for standing up for his teammate.
Thank you for noticing. No where in professional sports do they question a losing pitcher or quarterback about how they pitched giving up the homerun or why they threw the interception or fumbled the ball. Hawaii is a small town but there's no reason why they can't have the same class as the rest of the US. Let Hawaii be more gracious and giving as opposed to critical and cynical. It starts some with the news and the journalist create the news.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Unfortunately in this world that we live in, journalists have to sell newspapers/magazines/TV news/etc, and controversy and conflict are what sells. They'd all be out of jobs if they only made nice-nice. Heck, even Ka Leo,the UH Manoa newspaper can get brutal at times. Good training for our student-athletes for real world job interviews that they can't get in any class.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Big difference between Honolulu or Hawaii news versus San Jose Mercury News, San Francisco Chronicle and New York Times. There's a certain amount of class in the interviews that does not put the onus of winning or losing on one person. It all starts to fit in with this team spirit that Coach Rolo is trying to construct. Its a team win and a team loss. I guess I love hearing about winning and don't like to dwell on loses and who we should cast blame on.

amela

Post by amela »

shrek2 wrote:Big difference between Honolulu or Hawaii news versus San Jose Mercury News, San Francisco Chronicle and New York Times. There's a certain amount of class in the interviews that does not put the onus of winning or losing on one person. It all starts to fit in with this team spirit that Coach Rolo is trying to construct. Its a team win and a team loss. I guess I love hearing about winning and don't like to dwell on loses and who we should cast blame on.
Yup no one play loses or wins a game. They should have the reporter hold the football and have a LB blast him and see if he can hold on to the ball.