*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Re: Interviews of Players by Journalists gotta change

Post by shrek2 »

amela wrote:
shrek2 wrote:Big difference between Honolulu or Hawaii news versus San Jose Mercury News, San Francisco Chronicle and New York Times. There's a certain amount of class in the interviews that does not put the onus of winning or losing on one person. It all starts to fit in with this team spirit that Coach Rolo is trying to construct. Its a team win and a team loss. I guess I love hearing about winning and don't like to dwell on loses and who we should cast blame on.
Yup no one play loses or wins a game. They should have the reporter hold the football and have a LB blast him and see if he can hold on to the ball.
Haha, I couldn't have stated it better.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

How come nobody asks Coach Rolo whether they were outcoached or were they prepared for the speed of New Mexico's defense? Afterall, the coaches are the only ones paid. The interviews with the players were much more civil but I would have asked if the rain made any difference on offense or defense.

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by xer 21 »

shrek2 wrote:Big difference between Honolulu or Hawaii news versus San Jose Mercury News, San Francisco Chronicle and New York Times. There's a certain amount of class in the interviews that does not put the onus of winning or losing on one person. It all starts to fit in with this team spirit that Coach Rolo is trying to construct. Its a team win and a team loss. I guess I love hearing about winning and don't like to dwell on loses and who we should cast blame on.
regardless of how they chose to do it, the journalists have no obligation to protect UH or their players from hard questions or embarrassment related to a loss. you essentially asked to censor the press because you think some writers are being too hard on a bunch of grown men. That's just silly.

If you like hearing about winning, you probably shouldnt read the local media anyways, because hawaii loses a lot.
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Not endorsing censorship. Just would prefer class and higher quality of graciousness. The keyword is prefer. A lot of people will go as far as people let them go, society limits them.

Ever read the book "They Call Me Coach" by John Wooden? He didn't allow interviews by the press with his players. He had a system and although it wasn't perfect, he created a powerhouse at UCLA for a couple of decades.

The NFL usually has large interviews in the combines for prospective NFL draftees and its good that the player have that exposure under their belt. Usually these interviews are like job interviews as opposed to harsh criticisms.

I don't mind the article in the Star Advertiser saying that there will be no bowl for Hawaii but its different than directly blaming one individual on that situation during an open interview. At this point, the Rainbow Wahine Volleyball team is the team to watch.

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by xer 21 »

shrek2 wrote: Ever read the book "They Call Me Coach" by John Wooden? He didn't allow interviews by the press with his players.
ok? that's not what you're suggesting. coaches already refuse to let certain players talk to the media. thats different then vetting the reporters. lets also remember that this was decades ago.
shrek2 wrote: He had a system and although it wasn't perfect, he created a powerhouse at UCLA for a couple of decades.
yeah, im sure him keeping reporters from talking to his players was what made him a champion. not talent or coaching.
shrek2 wrote:
I don't mind the article in the Star Advertiser saying that there will be no bowl for Hawaii but its different than directly blaming one individual on that situation during an open interview. At this point, the Rainbow Wahine Volleyball team is the team to watch.
what's wrong with the star Ad calling it like they see it?
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

what?

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

That was a classy interview after the BSU game. I like the fact that Rolo has accepted responsibility for his job and has taken it seriously. Rolo has either been reading the threads or he has come to the realization the offense is not performing. There is no lack of sincerity on the part of Coach Rolo in the interview. I like the fact that the questions to the players were focused on the team and what their thoughts were as far as how the team can improve. Kudos to Paul Harris for supporting his teammate and saying that the onus is not just on the defense. No question was asked of Paul Harris about his 145 yard game which is a tough question to answer when your team lost. All of these interviews are posted to YouTube and future recruits are watching these interviews. Best recruiting can be done through the internet.