*****Official Hawaii - UNLV Game Thread*****

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: *****Official Hawaii - UNLV Game Thread*****

Post by poidog »

i know no one would ever do so, but we should have declined the block in the back penalty on the fumble return. there was no way we were going to stop them from kicking a fg with enough time to come back and score. better off letting them take the td and get the ball back right away with the way they were moving the ball on us.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

poidog wrote:i know no one would ever do so, but we should have declined the block in the back penalty on the fumble return. there was no way we were going to stop them from kicking a fg with enough time to come back and score. better off letting them take the td and get the ball back right away with the way they were moving the ball on us.
Agreed, easy to let the other guy score in XBOX world. In real world, really hard to act against emotions of team and crowd. Bill Belicheck is one of the few that won't be second guessed by this kind decision.

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Post by stranger808 »

i was stunned to see we lost this game against UNLV. The road to a bowl just got harder.

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by xer 21 »

shrek2 wrote:Looking forward, I have good feelings about going to AFA after this loss.
why? WE cant stop the run to save our lives, that's all Air force does, and they do it in complex fashion, and we'll be on the road in altitude. We're going to get trampled.
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

My3Cats wrote:UNLV's 3rd string quarterback looked, and played like an All-American against the Hawaii defense(less).
Maybe we should play ours. Now that teams have film on our quarterback they know his tendencies. I saw saw it early on when they hurded him into taking a 19 yard sack. On our last passing play he got happy feet and ran to his right which he does a lot. UNLV knew this but rushed only three. All 3 rushers left their blockers and ran to where they knew our qb would be. Rather than throw the ball our qb ate it. Bad decision. Dru needs to learn how to step up in the pocket when the defense is taking away the outside. He has a problem of rolling to a side only to end up finding a defender in his face.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

xer 21 wrote:
shrek2 wrote:Looking forward, I have good feelings about going to AFA after this loss.
why? WE cant stop the run to save our lives, that's all Air force does, and they do it in complex fashion, and we'll be on the road in altitude. We're going to get trampled.
A bigger problem with AirForce is the ability to pass too. And they do it well.

BullNuts808
Pine rider
Pine rider
MLB: the off season

Post by BullNuts808 »

UH: Fairly young team (3 seniors on Offense/ 4 on Defense) w/ 1st time HC, DC, and OC

UNLV: DC: 20+ yr vet (former Colorado DC) OC: 16+ yr vet (former Nebraska OC) HC: 2nd year HC (former Bishop Gorman HC) 8 Seniors on Defense / 5 Sr. - Offense

Although the lost was difficult, we were predicted to be dead last at preseason. I think we are on the right track. With mostly a novice coaching staff and young team, I think everyone expected too much too soon. Proud of what they did in their 1st year. we should only get better and smarter.

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by xer 21 »

RedZone wrote:
xer 21 wrote:
A bigger problem with AirForce is the ability to pass too. And they do it well.
and we have terrible corners too.

but even then, they probably wont even bother passing if they look at our run D on film.
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

Brutal game. Feel for the offense, 38 at home should always be enough. That said, we were testing the bachi gods. I saw some fans talking MW championship for beating UNR/SJSU. Even Rolo alluded to it. I fear the growing pains have just begun. A 5-game losing streak is a real possibility.

browndog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by browndog »

xer 21 wrote:

Agreed. We are thin on DL and in that altitude going be hard to rotate in fresh players.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

browndog wrote:
xer 21 wrote:

Agreed. We are thin on DL and in that altitude going be hard to rotate in fresh players.
Really could have used JGW on the outside. For some reason our lbs were too slow responding to the stretch play. Our ends could'nt seal the edge too. Defense went back to playing like how they were earlier in the season.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

RedZone wrote:
My3Cats wrote:UNLV's 3rd string quarterback looked, and played like an All-American against the Hawaii defense(less).
Maybe we should play ours. Now that teams have film on our quarterback they know his tendencies. I saw saw it early on when they hurded him into taking a 19 yard sack. On our last passing play he got happy feet and ran to his right which he does a lot. UNLV knew this but rushed only three. All 3 rushers left their blockers and ran to where they knew our qb would be. Rather than throw the ball our qb ate it. Bad decision. Dru needs to learn how to step up in the pocket when the defense is taking away the outside. He has a problem of rolling to a side only to end up finding a defender in his face.
What he really needs to learn is to throw the ball away. If pocket breaks down, fine, use your legs and see if you can extend the play. But like you said, teams are gonna have a spy on him so that he can't run wild on them. That's when he Dru has to just throw the ball away instead of getting sacked or forcing a bad throw.

Grinch
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Grinch »

In this game, our D didn't look like it had versus Nevada and San Jose. They looked unsure and not flying around.
"The rise . . . of the Warriors."

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

RedZone wrote:
browndog wrote:
xer 21 wrote: why? WE cant stop the run to save our lives, that's all Air force does, and they do it in complex fashion, and we'll be on the road in altitude. We're going to get trampled.

Really could have used JGW on the outside. For some reason our lbs were too slow responding to the stretch play. Our ends could'nt seal the edge too. Defense went back to playing like how they were earlier in the season.
I think the onus is on the coaching. We weren't prepared for UNLV after two big wins over UNR and SDSU. Sanchez on the other hand, was prepared and his qb could throw the ball, nothing like UH expected. I thought they were going to switch qb's to get the mix of run/pass but they didn't have to. Sanchez is a pretty good coach and will someday, make it to the next level I believe. UNLV was still undisciplined last year; hence the bad record. I think years to come, UNLV will develop from a bottom dweller to a contender. AFA is predictable but tough. I think Hawaii's got an opportunity for an upset.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

I hate the fact that Las Vegas has a football team that people can gamble on or against. The owners of the Oakland Raiders will soon find out that either the owners wont allow the team to go to Vegas or they will find funky upsets occurring. I personally think UNLV should be an independent out of the MWC or become an FCS team.