Young Guns

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
uhwarriors

Will true freshman play this year?

Post by uhwarriors »

Although I spent Saturday focused on the QBs, several freshmen at other positions caught my eye. Based on what I saw, my guess is several a number of true freshmen will see action this season.

On offense, SB Tullis was with the 2s and showed very good hands catching everything thrown to him. Timoteo was also with the 2s. RB Holly was the 4th or 5th running back in the rotation but showed the speed and power that was on his high school videos.

Safety Santiago and DE Moala were with the 2’s on defense. Santiago had a pick on a deep fly route. LB Okeke tracked down a RB behind the line of scrimmage.

There could be others. At future practices I'll be looking for the true freshmen to see where they are at.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Re: Will true freshman play this year?

Post by Irse »

I believe some freshmen will play. Not syre about Holly though since Harris, Lakalaka and Davis are SRs and Saint Juste was also productive when he wasn't hurt. I think the lack of depth on the DL will result in some true FR playing as well as Timoteo at WR.
ImageImage

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

I've heard a lot of people rave about Santiago. Thought he was a big steal on signing day.

Markazulu
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Markazulu »

Gonna assume santiago is gonna get significant playing time. Im hearing he is a ball hawk & always around the ball.

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

Markazulu wrote:Gonna assume santiago is gonna get significant playing time. Im hearing he is a ball hawk & always around the ball.
Possibly Timoteo, as well. Unless the veteran receivers step up and hang onto the balls.

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

I didn't notice it, but another observer told me that OL Kingjames Taylor is now running with the 2s. Olinemen rarely play as true freshmen. In fact I can't recall the last one to do it at UH. It might have been Vince Manuwai. They usually need a redshirt year to gain size and strength as well as learning the blocking techniques and schemes (especially pass protection). So Taylor running with the 2s is pretty impressive.

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Dodgers
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Vikings

Post by bigislandkurt »

TIMOTEO is a manchild who should play immediately. Aside from Kemp -- who has had some up and down moments -- no other receiver has been a lock. Timoteo is a gamer. Our Hawaii bradduh in the mold of Blackmon, Dez, or Irvin. Play him now!
Friendship is Essential to the Soul

Mr.EDGE808
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Mr.EDGE808 »

uhwarriors wrote:I didn't notice it, but another observer told me that OL Kingjames Taylor is now running with the 2s. Olinemen rarely play as true freshmen. In fact I can't recall the last one to do it at UH. It might have been Vince Manuwai. They usually need a redshirt year to gain size and strength as well as learning the blocking techniques and schemes (especially pass protection). So Taylor running with the 2s is pretty impressive.
:read: John Estes as a freshmen starting Oline?
Because in my mind,it's always clear...evil thoughts that twist my mind into despair- Iron Maiden

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

Mr.EDGE808 wrote:
uhwarriors wrote:I didn't notice it, but another observer told me that OL Kingjames Taylor is now running with the 2s. Olinemen rarely play as true freshmen. In fact I can't recall the last one to do it at UH. It might have been Vince Manuwai. They usually need a redshirt year to gain size and strength as well as learning the blocking techniques and schemes (especially pass protection). So Taylor running with the 2s is pretty impressive.
:read: John Estes as a freshmen starting Oline?
Pretty good suggestion. Had to look it up. Estes was a four year starter but did redshirt in 2005.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Our offensive coordinator started on specials teams as the long snapper.

Jeremy Inferrera from JJ days.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

bigislandkurt wrote:TIMOTEO is a manchild who should play immediately. Aside from Kemp -- who has had some up and down moments -- no other receiver has been a lock. Timoteo is a gamer. Our Hawaii bradduh in the mold of Blackmon, Dez, or Irvin. Play him now!
Playmaker who made his qbs look good.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

J-Rod wrote:I've heard a lot of people rave about Santiago. Thought he was a big steal on signing day.
I would be one of those people. With him back there I thought that Kahuku had the best secondary last season.

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

Kumoku Noa

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

madeinhawaii wrote:Kumoku Noa
Very unlikely with the depth at WR and SB:

WR
Kemp - Sr
Bernard - Sr
Barker - Jr
Ewaliko - Jr
Stubblefield - So
Patterson - So
Timoteo - Fr

SB
Camanse-Stevens - Sr
Anguay - Sr
Collie - So
Ursua - Fr
Tullis - Fr

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

Irse wrote:I believe some freshmen will play. Not syre about Holly though since Harris, Lakalaka and Davis are SRs and Saint Juste was also productive when he wasn't hurt. I think the lack of depth on the DL will result in some true FR playing as well as Timoteo at WR.
I agree that the Senior depth will probably keep him out this year. Holly looks to be physically ready but probably is not in pass protection schemes. No sense rushing him in witht the depth this year. And we don't need any whiffs on a blitzer that results in the QB getting killed.