What we learned after the first 7 weeks!

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
couz808
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

What we learned after the first 7 weeks!

Post by couz808 »

That we are 1-3 like most critics expected us to be.

Our defense is subpar and there seems to be no improvement.

Woolsey is still Woolsey and inconsistent!

Besides the Michigan game, our oline is pretty good and I like our RB's and WR's.

Our injuries have been minimal which is good thanks to the training and medical staff.

Now we can move on to the most important part of our season. We are 0-0 and I hope rolo looks to dru brown as our starting QB.

shoichikun808
Pine rider
Pine rider

Re: What we learned after the first 4 weeks!

Post by shoichikun808 »

Never schedule 3 away games, especially "money" games, in the first 4 weeks (don't care that one was considered "neutral").

Defense looks as weak as I can remember them looking and has barely improved in 4 weeks. We need to concentrate on recruits for the defensive side this off season.

Our Offense finally looks like it can move the ball and score points at a higher rate than under Chow.

Rolo should have Brown start the Nevada game. He seems perfect for the Offense and the style Rolo wants in a QB. A QB that can run the ball effectively. Woolsey hasn't changed enough from last season.

415hawaiiboy
High-quality H20 provider
MLB: Giants
NFL: Niners

Post by 415hawaiiboy »

I agree need more focus on defensive recruits. Who would replace seniors Kemp and Barker at WR?

At RB, DSJ returns for his senior year next season and we get Holly so we are ok there.

QB we have the young guys we recruited this year.

OL we have a stable of OLine men thanks to Naeole.

So yeah, seems like other than WR on offense, priority would be on D.

Also a kicker.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

We have no speed on defense. I think the lack of speed is a bigger issue than the scheme.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

We played 4 very good teams and we're lucky to have won one of them.
The loss of our best defensive player due to the whims of a prudish administration hurt us big time.

I could see us having a winning season.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

We need to have our offense control the clock, move the ball and score. This has always been the key for this team. All we need from our defense is to get enough stops for us to win the game. We do not have the talent to be a top defensive team. Our DC can only do so much. He should not have to be teaching seniors on a team on how to tackle.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

SundayJam wrote:We played 4 very good teams and we're lucky to have won one of them.
The loss of our best defensive player due to the whims of a prudish administration hurt us big time.

I could see us having a winning season.
We gave up 202 points in four games.

It is unfortunate that we lost one player to his criminal behavior. Hopefully, his behavior changes. But i can tell you, his loss made zero difference in the W-L totals.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

We need to try to see what Brown can do.
ImageImage

WarriorTyme
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by WarriorTyme »

After 1 month of Hawaii Football, what I learned is that after many years of starting at Hawaii, Woolsey is not a D1 QB. Sean Schroeder was that last QB at Hawaii that put up points and yards and there hasn't been one since. If you don't believe me look back at the last season Sean Schroeder played for Hawaii and see the high scoring games and yardage he put up for Hawaii. The problem was the Hawaii defense gave up more points than Sean Schroder could help produce.

The Hawaii Defense looks confused and is playing pretty vanilla, the offenses are having a field day against such a defense to diagnose. The defense is missing Kennedy Tulimasealii big time but thats no excuse for the secondary to get picked apart and burned.

The players are playing with heart but the coaches are the ones at fault for the dismal performances.

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

You all pretty much covered it, but I learned...

-That Ben Jay treated UH football scheduling like we're an HBCU that desperately needs money to even play.

-That it's time to give Brown a shot at QB. He might not be the answer, but let's at least find out. This is reminding me of the 2008 season at QB. None of Alexander, Funaki, etc. were great, but at times you have to ride the hotter hand.

-The defense is slow and untalented. There will only be a handful of games in which Hawaii does not give up at least 30.

-I said it a lot in the off-season and it still holds true: this Nevada, @SJSU, UNLV 3-game stretch will define this team. This is the most winnable stretch of the season. Anything less than 2-1 and we're looking at a Chow-like overall record for 2016.

-Overall, we need to be patient with Rolo. There is good individual talent here and there (St. Juste, Ursua, Kemp, etc.) but there is no depth on this team. Things are ugly and injuries haven't even taken a bite out of UH.

At this point, I think 3-5 wins seems like the likely result for 2016. There will be no shortcuts in this rebuilding process unless Rolo finds a Fajardo-like star QB in the next two years.

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Post by stranger808 »

The team's where most of us thought they would be. Tough early schedule, 1-3 the result. Porous defense, and a little better offense. Rolo will need 3-4 recruiting seasons to turn it around.

Markazulu

Post by Markazulu »

-Glad to see we can get yards after years of dealing with run,run,pass,punt All Game.
-Woolsey for every good play he will have a bad play
- Lakalaka has looked really good
-St juste has played well
-kemp has been mr reliable
-ursua,collie, timoteo have potential
-o line has been pretty solid but imo had its worse game last night with all those penalties.
-defense lacks speed
- Tavai, pritchard, henderson always seems to be around the ball
- teams are picking on damian packer
-special teams play has been HORRIBLE from coverage to blocking
-Dru brown could be a good one if the light bulb comes on for him
-Keala santiago is probably gonna start soon dude has great instincts

WA Warrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by WA Warrior »

I realize that Hawai`i IS struggling uphill despite the coaching change. Either the talent is mediocre at best or the coaches are trying to instill a different mentality from the Chow era.

Mahalos [*]Red Gun[/color] for the update!!!

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Oh yeah we still make penalties that cost us. This something that the coaches can and should fix.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

UnBiasFan wrote: We gave up 202 points in four games.

It is unfortunate that we lost one player to his criminal behavior. Hopefully, his behavior changes. But i can tell you, his loss made zero difference in the W-L totals.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but KTM was our top defensive player. He had a love hate relationship with his girlfriend that resulted in his neighbors calling the police. The only offense they could pin on him was beating up his girlfriend's dad's dashboard well after the fact. I think it's nonsensical that we should turn our back on one of our own for such a minor offense. It was a poor choice of relationship rather than a criminal act that delighted the administration to delete him.

I would venture to say that the first four games we played were the hardest fought we've ever fought. I have mad respect for CAL, Michigan, UT Martin, and Arizona. Unfortunately, the removal of a NOSE GUARD that has always been considered a top prospect and team spokesperson for frivolous reasons has had a detrimental affect on the team.