Is Hawai`i the worse team in FBS? Discuss...

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
WA Warrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Is Hawai`i the worse team in FBS? Discuss...

Post by WA Warrior »

They have been over the Chow years, they are trying to claw their way up from the cellar this year but are we as fans hoping too much and they are just this bad 2.2 games into the season?

Mahalos [*]Red Gun[/color] for the update!!!

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Is Hawai`i the worse team in FBS? Discuss...

Post by J-Rod »

I said 20 billion times this off-season...as someone who follows recruiting closer than 99% of UH fans, most don't realize how far behind this roster really is. Even the best position groups UH has are mid-tier MW caliber. Rolo will need time to purge this roster and file in better talent. Those who expected a 1999-like miracle in year 1 were always going to be disappointed.

Y'all need to actually watch Lion King. Before Pride Rock was taken back, it was burned to the freaking ground. That grass didn't grow back in a few days. Give Rolo time.

wailukuwarriorfan
Starter
Starter

Post by wailukuwarriorfan »

J-Rod wrote: Y'all need to actually watch Lion King. Before Pride Rock was taken back, it was burned to the freaking ground. That grass didn't grow back in a few days. Give Rolo time.
Funny, sad, but true, all at the same time.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

It's going to be the battle of the bottom feeder teams when Massachusetts comes to town - if the UH defense and special teams don't get it together soon. At least the offense, while struggling, is putting up some points this year (except for the Michigan game).
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

WA Warrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by WA Warrior »

Personally, I think talent-wise, Hawai`i is worse than a lot of FCS schools, but that's not Rolovich's fault. He's gonna coach them up the best he can and will take a few years to inject upgrade talent. I don't think Hawai`i can roll with FCS' top tier teams like North Dakota State, Eastern Washington, Northern Iowa, etc.

This will be a rough year, unfortunately Rolovich's predecessor wasn't an astute recruiter so Rolovich is going to have to maximize minimal talent, not develop good talent. Tougher job than developing talent.

Mahalos [*]Red Gun[/color] for the update!!!

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

It started as Simba and Pride Rock but the concept was a good start to make people believe again. Good marketing strategy but guess what? After Nevada and San Jose people are starting to believe. Tough teams with Cal (beat Texas), Michigan (rated top 5 with lots of 5 star recruits and a 100K seat stadium) and Arizona. Hawaii was coming in with a new coach with players recruited by another coach. He made them work as a team and its not a season but its a start. "Build it and they will come." Thanks Rolo, staff and kids for making us feel better about Hawaii if just for a day, a season or possibly a lifetime.

Niele
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Niele »

Anyone eating crow yet?

Grinch
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Grinch »

Lol
"The rise . . . of the Warriors."

MadCat88
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by MadCat88 »

Patience... 1st year H.C., players who have only experienced disappointment & loss their entire career at U.H., typical difficulty in getting top-tier H.S. players over many years, new schemes... it was going to take time. I'm fairly optimistic that they will do well from here on out. I think Coach Rolovich & company has done very well considering. They got a fairly decent O-line, a young QB who seems to be making more good decisions than bad and throws a very nice catchable ball, and enough talent elsewhere on the O-side to make plays (capable of moving the ball & scoring against most mid-major teams). On the D-side, they are a work in progress, and apparently are finally playing at a level where they are making it a game. For sure they can't go toe to toe with the likes of a Michigan or Washington... but all the top-tier teams in the M.W. are beatable by this team if the wind blows in the right direction. Avoiding stupid drive-killing penalties (and other mental mistakes) on the O-side should be a priority for them over the next few weeks.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

I guess Nevada and SJSU are worse than us. Hopefully more.
ImageImage

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Defense is picking up Lempa's schemes and the offense is moving much better with Sunshine Brown at the helm. But even then, Hawaii has scored more than 30 points in four of the games so far this season with Woolsey starting two of those games, compared to only one time total in 2015 that they scored more than 30 (47 against UC Davis).
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

I hope Woolsey never forgets that he drove Hawaii to a come from behind win over UNLV with a last second touchdown pass to Kemp. And, I hope he keeps that focus on being ready should anything happen to Brown.

415hawaiiboy
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider
MLB: Giants
NFL: Niners

Post by 415hawaiiboy »

With a solid O-line for a G5 school, hard to be the worst. Saw Posa and Norman on the sidelines at SJSU. Big 10 sized players and they should be in the mix in future years. However, seems like Naeole is creating a nice stable of olinemen. We win in the trenches, we win games.

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Post by stranger808 »

415hawaiiboy wrote:With a solid O-line for a G5 school, hard to be the worst. Saw Posa and Norman on the sidelines at SJSU. Big 10 sized players and they should be in the mix in future years. However, seems like Naeole is creating a nice stable of olinemen. We win in the trenches, we win games.

I give coach Naeole all the credit in the world. Naeole recruited well and taught them well. Throughout the lean chow years, Coach Naeole's guys have been consistent. Major props to him.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Seems like our wide receiver coach has done a nice job too. Kefense.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1: