Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Re: Your thought on our DC

Post by stranger808 »

I think a bigger problem is Special Team's coaching.

Grinch
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Grinch »

I agree - special teams coaching and getting guys in that know how important they are.

I like Lempa and his attacking defense. We just don't have dline depth.
"The rise . . . of the Warriors."

amela
High-quality H20 provider

Post by amela »

J-Rod wrote:UH got gashed by an FCS team playing their backup QB. This defense might be the MW's worst. I hope it's because the talent isn't there yet and not cause Lempa stay junk.
It's hard to believe that the seconds on DL & LB are that way off from the first team. If the first are gassed they're still way better than the seconds? Another observation is we really lack speed not only to the big boys but it showed against UTM too.

amela

Post by amela »

stranger808 wrote:I think a bigger problem is Special Team's coaching.
Without Sanchez it would be a total disaster.

amela

Post by amela »

amela wrote:
J-Rod wrote:UH got gashed by an FCS team playing their backup QB. This defense might be the MW's worst. I hope it's because the talent isn't there yet and not cause Lempa stay junk.
It's hard to believe that the seconds on DL & LB are that way off from the first team. If the first are gassed they're still way better than the seconds? Another observation is we really lack speed not only to the big boys but it showed against UTM too.
Don't forget their QB was at Florida State.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Why he uses wide receivers on the punt coverage team I have no idea. I would rather see some dbs out there.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

Optimus

Post by Optimus »

I blame our poor defense in the first 4 games on the DC.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Optimus wrote:I blame our poor defense in the first 4 games on the DC.
Our defense struggled last season. Our last DC gave up on them. We lost our best dlineman and our top corner transfered. We were thin last year and are even thinner this year. We were getting gashed last season too. And now we may have lost one of our top olineman. To fix something you need the right parts. Rolo just needs to go to the parts store and get em.

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

I'm not totally sold on Lempa, but he might deserve a pass. UH looks slow and just plain bad. Outside of Tavai, the defense is starting a lot of backup caliber players. Expect Lempa and co. to hammer JC for talent this February.

season ticket holder
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by season ticket holder »

not surprised they look slow considering the talent that they've faced. but I don't like that when they are in position they still miss tackles.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

J-Rod wrote:I'm not totally sold on Lempa, but he might deserve a pass. UH looks slow and just plain bad. Outside of Tavai, the defense is starting a lot of backup caliber players. Expect Lempa and co. to hammer JC for talent this February.
Tavai is not a solid tackler. Slow to the outside. Our DE lose contain. Our defenders struggle to get off of their blocks. Slow reads. Our safeties are our last line of defense but they are always chasing but too slow to catch. Hard to blame Lempa when I see that players are in position to make plays but wiff on the tackles.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

our lack of speed on defense means that our guys need to revert to full sprints too often to get into position and too often lose leverage rather than being able to get into breakdown position and maintain technique. I think it'll be less of an issue through the rest of the season as the talent level drops in conference play, but it's a problem that they need to fix in the offseason.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

poidog wrote:our lack of speed on defense means that our guys need to revert to full sprints too often to get into position and too often lose leverage rather than being able to get into breakdown position and maintain technique. I think it'll be less of an issue through the rest of the season as the talent level drops in conference play, but it's a problem that they need to fix in the offseason.
You're so right about the lack of speed on the defense leading to chasing vs. being in position with correct technique. The defense lacks speed and talent and can only be fixed through recruiting.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

RedZone wrote:
Why he uses wide receivers on the punt coverage team I have no idea. I would rather see some dbs out there.
Unfortunately the reason receivers are on punt and kickoff coverage is that there is a severe lack of speed, talent and depth in the secondary. Chaudhari is using the best athletes that are available. Tui Unga, a TE is one of the best kick coverage guys we have. When was the last time you saw a TE on kick coverage? He's fast, physical and is playing with passion. We just need more guys like him from the defensive side of the ball. That won't happen until next year's recruits are on the roster.

Maui Boy in Alaska
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Bears

Post by Maui Boy in Alaska »

Lempa 4-3 defense is all about being aggressive and attacking the offense. However, in my opinion he does not have the overall speed, DT, or CB for his 4-3 to be successful. Moreover, UH defense has been shorthanded all season and add the loss of both our best DL and the transfer of our top CB before the season started, It is going to be a long season for the UH defense. Now I like the 4-3 myself, and I like Lempa, but for his 4-3 to work UH needs to recruit some DT and more speed, especially at DE and CB. Our LB group is pretty young, I think this group will be good next year. But we need more size and speed on the DL.