reignjah11
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
MLB: Boston Red Sox
NBA: Dallas Mavericks
NFL: New England Patriots

Re: Postgame Thoughts

Post by reignjah11 »

No the results would have been much better if we didn't fall apart in the last 4 min of the 2nd qtr. Now some ppl may not have agreed with the onside kick call but everyone who watched the game knows that it wasn't the reason we lost.

And bet the house? It's only game 1 of 13! We'll really see what this coaching staff is about when we get to conference play.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Rigo's kickoffs were below his season average from last year. Our kickoff coverages have been bad when the ball was returned. I was hoping for improvement but I saw none. Rigo actually made one of the tackles. But he wiffed on one before. I still think we need to find a strong leg who can reach the endzone. I remember the Cal coach saying how surprised he was to see how strong the kickers were in Australia.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

reignjah11 wrote:No the results would have been much better if we didn't fall apart in the last 4 min of the 2nd qtr. Now some ppl may not have agreed with the onside kick call but everyone who watched the game knows that it wasn't the reason we lost.

And bet the house? It's only game 1 of 13! We'll really see what this coaching staff is about when we get to conference play.
I don't disagree with the onside kick. Just the choice of kicks. You can't have our kicker chasing down the ball to pounce on it and he was the closest to the ball. They tried this same kick last year and it failed. Rigo has a kick where he pops the ball up toward the sideline which can be chased down in the air. I think the field conditions may have had something to do with not doing it.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

The proof will be in the pudding (or poi, as Mufi liked to say), between the first and second games. This is where the coaches will show their worth. While I am expecting a Wolverine blowout of the Warriors, I would like to see some progress in execution and the minimization of the mental errors. A competitive game with everyone coming out without major injuries would be a positive.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

Grinch
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Grinch »

I agree. I maybe dreaming but I'm hoping the Warriors play like they did against Ohio St last year. I thought that was gonna be a major blow out.
"The rise . . . of the Warriors."

jhb3043
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by jhb3043 »

Grinch wrote:I agree. I maybe dreaming but I'm hoping the Warriors play like they did against Ohio St last year. I thought that was gonna be a major blow out.
+1

that would be awesome! i hope our guys are up to it :zook:

palolo cruza
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by palolo cruza »

Offense: I really like our O-Line. RB's are solid, but I hope the rotation is more like changing pitches in the at-bat (rotate the ground and pound and quick hitting backs throughout a series so Def. stays honest v.s. a running back for several series then rotate). QB still misses high and WR's still had some drops, but are running much cleaner routes.

Defense: Nothing changed for me, this will be a challenge

Special Teams: Disappointing kick coverage and kick return blocking.

Coaches: Great job- did well on the game prep and the "in-game" adjustments. Awesome

On a side note, Cal will get rolled over the Pac-12 unless they change their D-schemes to match ho-hum D personnel

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Having watched the game...I still say the onside kick vs a powerhouse Pac12 team was a stupid idea by a rookie head coach. It was a little butter on the biscuit for Cal. Cal basically always had great field position the first half. Up 34-14 at the half...the game was over...that's pretty much the same result as the whole of the Sugar Bowl (41-10).

Great offensive line play for Hawaii and terrific running back play as well. The defense did okay despite the Quaker-like austerity measures by the coaching staff to make sure we had the squeaking-est clean cfb team in America.

Makana
Starter
Starter
MLB: San Francisco Giants
NBA: The Bay Warriors
NFL: San Francisco 49ers

Post by Makana »

Woolsey still Woolsey.

Tackling still sucks.

Running game improved.

#kthxbye
“Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere.”
― Albert Einstein

“Jiu-Jitsu is like a philosophy. It helps me learn how to face life.”
-Helio Gracie

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

jhb3043
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by jhb3043 »

reignjah11 wrote:
jhb3043 wrote:
Markazulu wrote:Thoughts on the special teams?
ST needs work :-?

can't believe we tried an onside kick to start the game. wish we didn't do that. ugh
Nah I loved the call. National televised game, big underdog, non conference game i see why rolo went for the momentum play there. We were able to recover from it anyway so I don't put much blame on that being a reason we lost.
I jsut wasn't expecting to see that to start the game lol.

field looked a bit slippery so that may have put a wrench in the onside try to open the game.

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

If you took away the turn overs that led to point for Cal and had Hawaii kept those possessions and scored on just one of them, it would have been a tied game or the Warriors might have been on top. Watching the game again, Woolsey had a good outing. He should have had a 65 or better completion percentage. On a couple of plays the receivers slowed down as Woolsey was releasing the ball to the exactly where it was supposed to go. One resulted in a slightly over-thrown deep ball, the other the interception. There were about 5 other very catchable dropped balls, as well. But the good news is that there was always someone open. I think watching the tapes will open his eyes some. Can't wait to see how they improve at the big house.

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

madeinhawaii wrote:If you took away the turn overs that led to point for Cal and had Hawaii kept those possessions and scored on just one of them, it would have been a tied game or the Warriors might have been on top. Watching the game again, Woolsey had a good outing. He should have had a 65 or better completion percentage. On a couple of plays the receivers slowed down as Woolsey was releasing the ball to the exactly where it was supposed to go. One resulted in a slightly over-thrown deep ball, the other the interception. There were about 5 other very catchable dropped balls, as well. But the good news is that there was always someone open. I think watching the tapes will open his eyes some. Can't wait to see how they improve at the big house.
:flower: Man...I thought I was optimistic. You forget that the Bears shred our defense. In the 4th quarter, a wide-open receiver had the ball bounce off his hands in the endzone. I think they scored a field goal after that. Also, The Bears could have easily scored a final touchdown but gentlemanly took the foot of the gas.

One thing that bugged me after watching the game a second time...was that there were very few penalties for holding on either side. I swear I saw Hawaii receivers and linemen absolutely clutching onto defenders on a couple of occasions.

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

SundayJam wrote:
madeinhawaii wrote:If you took away the turn overs that led to point for Cal and had Hawaii kept those possessions and scored on just one of them, it would have been a tied game or the Warriors might have been on top. Watching the game again, Woolsey had a good outing. He should have had a 65 or better completion percentage. On a couple of plays the receivers slowed down as Woolsey was releasing the ball to the exactly where it was supposed to go. One resulted in a slightly over-thrown deep ball, the other the interception. There were about 5 other very catchable dropped balls, as well. But the good news is that there was always someone open. I think watching the tapes will open his eyes some. Can't wait to see how they improve at the big house.
:flower: Man...I thought I was optimistic. You forget that the Bears shred our defense. In the 4th quarter, a wide-open receiver had the ball bounce off his hands in the endzone. I think they scored a field goal after that. Also, The Bears could have easily scored a final touchdown but gentlemanly took the foot of the gas.

One thing that bugged me after watching the game a second time...was that there were very few penalties for holding on either side. I swear I saw Hawaii receivers and linemen absolutely clutching onto defenders on a couple of occasions.
That 7 minute and 21 second offensive possession by Cal in the 2nd qtr that led to their FG gassed our defense (I believe this was the possession that was extended by the leaping penalty). Then came the fumble on the ensuing kickoff to Hawaii, which gave Cal great position and a touchdown. Then, with Cal riding high with the momentum, they stopped Hawaii and forced a punt on the subsequent drive and blew past our depleted defense for another TD. With the defense able to finally catch their breath some, Hawaii took the third quarter 10-7. Cal took the 4th with their greater depth as some of their first team were breathing hard following Hawaii's 6 minute 11 second drive in the 3rd Qtr. Game was over by the middle of the 4th qtr.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

SundayJam wrote:Having watched the game...I still say the onside kick vs a powerhouse Pac12 team was a stupid idea by a rookie head coach. It was a little butter on the biscuit for Cal. Cal basically always had great field position the first half. Up 34-14 at the half...the game was over...that's pretty much the same result as the whole of the Sugar Bowl (41-10).

Great offensive line play for Hawaii and terrific running back play as well. The defense did okay despite the Quaker-like austerity measures by the coaching staff to make sure we had the squeaking-est clean cfb team in America.
Whoa, it was not until the end of the second quarter when Cal started taking off. At most we spotted Cal 7 points but Hawaii's offense came back and pulled even at 17-14 before the ending of the second quarter. What I was impressed with was the fact that Cal's line was big but Hawaii beat them at the line of scrimmage. Kudos to Coach Naole for beating them. Even on defense, the line was smaller but they only hit a couple going up the box. The defensive front was lean and tough. I gotta give credit to Coach Rolo for making the game a lot more fun than it has been in years.

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

Perhaps the most important thing is that the Warriors moved down field and actually made TDs against a pretty good team, in comparison to in conference competition. 2 of 2 in the red zone, too.