Brian Smith named OC and Assoc. Head Coach

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
uhwarriors

Brian Smith named OC and Assoc. Head Coach

Post by uhwarriors »

A key lesson in preschool — sharing is caring — was the impetus for Brian Smith’s promotion to offensive coordinator and associate head coach of the University of Hawaii football team.

Head coach Nick Rolovich said Smith, who was hired in December as running backs coach, will call the offensive plays this season.

It was a role Rolovich considered doing himself when Zak Hill resigned in January after 48 days as the Warriors’ offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach. But Rolovich said the head coaching duties kept him from focusing fully on the offense.
More: http://www.staradvertiser.com/sports/it ... h-offense/

Smith being named OC is probably a curious choice for many, but I'm not surprised. He was a center on the 98 to 01 teams and the OL and RB coach on the 08 to 11 teams. During the Mack years, only Rolovich knew the offensive system better. At the Na Koa lunches other offensive assistants sometimes would gloss over how a play was designed and why it worked or didn't work, but many times wouldn't even try. Smith would explain in great detail how a play was designed and executed. Even though he was an OL assistant and then RB assistant, he would discus secondary coverages, QB reads and WR route adjustments. I remember thinking to myself then that of all the offensive assistants on that staff, Smith would be the first to be an OC somewhere. Smith was the OC at Occidental from 13-15 and the 2015 team averaged 33.8 points and 480.6 yards of total offense per game.

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Brian Smith named OC and Assoc. Head Coach

Post by Duster »

I am not surprised by his naming as OC either. Rolo needs to manage the team and let his OC and DC do their jobs.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

I concur that this will probably be a good move. Rolo needs to focus on the whole team and not have his attention diverted away from running the offense as well.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

When Rolo was hires I said that Smith would probably be his OC so I am not surprised. I am surprised that it took Rolo so long to figure it out. Perhaps there must have been others he was looking at? Maybe he should start a new trend and make the position a competitive one.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1: