“Jiu-Jitsu is like a philosophy. It helps me learn how to face life.”
-Helio Gracie

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

WarriorTyme
Play Maker
Play Maker

Re: Vegas o/u on Hawaii wins in 2016

Post by WarriorTyme »

Being it's Rolo 1st season, I don't see Hawaii getting to the Hawaii Bowl. But, I would take the over. Hawaii will get at least 3 wins with Rolo as head coach.

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

Massey Ratings has Hawaii down for 1 win.
http://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=3197&s=286577

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

madeinhawaii wrote:Massey Ratings has Hawaii down for 1 win.
http://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=3197&s=286577
What a weird set of picks. 1 win, but he has us playing in a ton of close games...and much closer in a lot of games than I'm personally expecting. You have to have built your stadium on an indian burial ground to play in that many close games and go 1-12.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

There is a load of factors being ignored by these pundits. Rolo is a proven winner. Both as a player and a coach, he's mastered some winning offenses. Norm Chow's purge ended a couple of years ago, leaving behind a decent group to work with. Couple that with the enthusiastic recruiting of our new staff and we've got something to work with. Hawaii has been generally taken for granted with the exception of that Sugar Bowl year. So, it's not hard to believe that the pundits have taken us for granted coming off of these Von Appen like doldrums that were Chow Time.

I sense a genuine chemistry among the coaches and players. I bet we knock off at least one of the big boys on our schedule this year.

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

I expect growing pains for everyone, including Rolo and his staff. They're new to this as well.

Rolo's coaching results have been a mixed bag. He had some rough games as an OC at Nevada, including being thwarted by a laughable Wyoming defense in 2015. UNR fans complained about him occasionally. It is debatable that he was left a decent team. Recruiting trends in the MW the last 3-4 years have Hawaii in the basement, and it's looked like it on the field. I know that we want to blame Norm for everything, but he doesn't share all the blame.

This isn't 2009. Teams like San Jose State, for example, genuinely have the better players. Rolo has some work to do in that regard.

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets
NFL: Buffalo Bills

Post by wyokie »

J-Rod wrote:I expect growing pains for everyone, including Rolo and his staff. They're new to this as well.

Rolo's coaching results have been a mixed bag. He had some rough games as an OC at Nevada, including being thwarted by a laughable Wyoming defense in 2015. UNR fans complained about him occasionally. It is debatable that he was left a decent team. Recruiting trends in the MW the last 3-4 years have Hawaii in the basement, and it's looked like it on the field. I know that we want to blame Norm for everything, but he doesn't share all the blame.

This isn't 2009. Teams like San Jose State, for example, genuinely have the better players. Rolo has some work to do in that regard.
And....meanwhile...programs like almighty WYOMING has gotten much worse. :roll:

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

wyokie wrote:
J-Rod wrote:I expect growing pains for everyone, including Rolo and his staff. They're new to this as well.

And....meanwhile...programs like almighty WYOMING has gotten much worse. :roll:
Well, we got to go to your house next. Rolo should recruit some Sherpa's for Laramie 2017

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Chow's first years were marked by bizarre purges. He dumped a capable staff and made his players shave their heads and go nameless on the field save for an imua moniker. He also implemented strange training techniques (disciplines?), all of which motivated at least two blue chip athletes (Blake Muir and Trevor Davis), as well as others, to jump ship.

Still, Chow did know football. After his unnecessary purges, he did bring a decent crew. Guys like Dejon Allen and Kennedy Tulimasealii (yes, I'm sure he'll be back with the team) are solid foundations for Rolo to build off of.

Of course, we got lucky with the return of a few home-sick, home-grown superstars as well.

Should we look forward to another miracle year?
I'll tell you after the first two games are played.
Still, I'd bank on beating Vegas this year.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

someone should go to a good sports book and see what kind of odds they could get if they would allow a 4.5 or 5.5 over/under wins prop for Hawaii. I bet could get at least +400 on over 4.5...

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

I might also add that I've never bet Vegas.
I'm an amazing paper tiger.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

I have a positive feeling about this year's team. It seems like Rolovich is trying to install the right values for the athletes which is to play for each other. Also, he has a football mind that can adjust and see what's going on in the field while its happening, something that was not done under the previous regime. I can recall UNR was the first team to recognize the tight end on short yardage to sneak out of the pack for a pass and TD. I think they got three of those, then all the teams after that ran the same play and UH never could defend that play all season after UNR. So, he found the weakness and all the other teams capitalized. I have a feeling that the intangibles will bring good results with the first three Bowl bound teams Cal, Michigan and Arizona. I say they take one of the three.

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

Like I've said before. Go back to 2011/2012 here on SH...you can find threads filled with sentiments like, "There is a different feeling around camp with Chow. The team is more cohesive and disciplined."...so on and so on. PR is a great tool for building a brand, but it doesn't do much for on-the-field results. Rolo has dominated the PR battle, but the honeymoon comes to an end come that Nevada, San Jose State, UNLV stretch of the season. That's when we'll either grow in optimism or people begin to get antsy.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

J-Rod wrote:Like I've said before. Go back to 2011/2012 here on SH...you can find threads filled with sentiments like, "There is a different feeling around camp with Chow. The team is more cohesive and disciplined."...so on and so on. PR is a great tool for building a brand, but it doesn't do much for on-the-field results. Rolo has dominated the PR battle, but the honeymoon comes to an end come that Nevada, San Jose State, UNLV stretch of the season. That's when we'll either grow in optimism or people begin to get antsy.
Gotta Agree 100% with you Bro.

As much as people hate Norm now, before the fall of 2012, folks were also excited about Norm's Florida & Utah Pipeline, and famous quotes, "We are going to be the harest working staff", "We will get better" & especially "We will Chase Championships". That faded fast for many.

Look at the cards being dealt to Rolo and set your expectations accordingly.

The 1999 turnaround and 2007 Perfect season are measures the team should shoot for but realistically doesn't happen very often for mid majors.

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets
NFL: Buffalo Bills

Post by wyokie »

BigWave96744 wrote:The 1999 turnaround and 2007 Perfect season are measures the team should shoot for but realistically doesn't happen very often for mid majors.
You aint just whistling Dixie, brotha! Sheesh!!!!! :roll: