Vegas o/u on Hawaii wins in 2016

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Vegas o/u on Hawaii wins in 2016

Post by poidog »

BigWave96744 wrote:
J-Rod wrote:Like I've said before. Go back to 2011/2012 here on SH...you can find threads filled with sentiments like, "There is a different feeling around camp with Chow. The team is more cohesive and disciplined."...so on and so on. PR is a great tool for building a brand, but it doesn't do much for on-the-field results. Rolo has dominated the PR battle, but the honeymoon comes to an end come that Nevada, San Jose State, UNLV stretch of the season. That's when we'll either grow in optimism or people begin to get antsy.
Gotta Agree 100% with you Bro.

As much as people hate Norm now, before the fall of 2012, folks were also excited about Norm's Florida & Utah Pipeline, and famous quotes, "We are going to be the harest working staff", "We will get better" & especially "We will Chase Championships". That faded fast for many.

Look at the cards being dealt to Rolo and set your expectations accordingly.

The 1999 turnaround and 2007 Perfect season are measures the team should shoot for but realistically doesn't happen very often for mid majors.
OTOH, one of Rolo's first comments was "we are going to see what kind of talent we have and then figure out a system for them to be successful in", which is very different from how Chow forced his system on whatever team he ended up with. it reminded me of JJ's first season where the coaches felt that they needed more speed on defense to do what they wanted to do. rather than just install their system with the players they had and wait until they could bring in guys better suited for the system, they instead "faked" team speed by moving LB's to DE, DB's to LB and such to speed up the defense at the expense of size, and it worked. It remains to be seen if Rolo's approach will have early success, but there's a difference between the optimism in 2012 and the optimism now. Either way, it didn't take long for people to start jumping ship on Norm because it was obvious by the 7th or 8th game of the first season that he was overwhelmed by the job. Hopefully we will have a better feeling at that point of this coming season.

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

poidog wrote: OTOH, one of Rolo's first comments was "we are going to see what kind of talent we have and then figure out a system for them to be successful in", which is very different from how Chow forced his system on whatever team he ended up with. it reminded me of JJ's first season where the coaches felt that they needed more speed on defense to do what they wanted to do. rather than just install their system with the players they had and wait until they could bring in guys better suited for the system, they instead "faked" team speed by moving LB's to DE, DB's to LB and such to speed up the defense at the expense of size, and it worked. It remains to be seen if Rolo's approach will have early success, but there's a difference between the optimism in 2012 and the optimism now. Either way, it didn't take long for people to start jumping ship on Norm because it was obvious by the 7th or 8th game of the first season that he was overwhelmed by the job. Hopefully we will have a better feeling at that point of this coming season.
That's a good point. It's harsh to compare any coach to Norm. He obviously struggled mightily with being a head coach. I think the main point here is there can be as much positive vibes and momentum in practice as they like, that doesn't = a 1999-like special season that a fringe amount of the fan base seems to be counting on.

As Mike Tyson once said, "Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth." I expect growing pains not just for this team, but for this young coaching staff as well. As I've pointed out several times, Rolo was far from flawless in Reno. Every season he had his ups and downs. IMO, he's inheriting a team lacking depth at nearly every position and faces a nasty schedule in 2016. I hope fans are realistic in their criticism of him if this team does finish with around the 3 wins the Vegas gurus have the team set for. If the team struggles, it's not cause Rolo and his staff are junk. It's cause the cards were stacked against him before he ever said yes to this job.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Chow destroyed a team that was one year removed from being WAC champion and then did nothing for 5 years. There can't really be a comparison. If nothing else, Rolo has had relentless success destroying us the last 5 years as well. Let's not forget that Rolo was not the head coach for the Wolf Pack. The Nevada fans are :bootyshake:

Vegas is playing a safe bet. There is no information on what Hawaii will do this season, so it's banking on the trend for the last five years.

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

SundayJam wrote:Chow destroyed a team that was one year removed from being WAC champion and then did nothing for 5 years. There can't really be a comparison. If nothing else, Rolo has had relentless success destroying us the last 5 years as well. Let's not forget that Rolo was not the head coach for the Wolf Pack. The Nevada fans are :bootyshake:

Vegas is playing a safe bet. There is no information on what Hawaii will do this season, so it's banking on the trend for the last five years.
2.5 is not playing it safe. That's straight up expecting a team to be horrible.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

J-Rod wrote: 2.5 is not playing it safe. That's straight up expecting a team to be horrible.
I'm curious...what was the line the last 6 years? Does this line turn off after a certain number of bets come in? I dunno...Hawaii is an unknown and therefore undervalued bet.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

SundayJam wrote:Hawaii is an unknown and therefore undervalued bet.
sounds like a lock to me - bet the farm!