2 former Warriors have CFL hopes

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
PrideRockFB
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

2 former Warriors have CFL hopes

Post by PrideRockFB »

by STEPHEN TSAI on MAY 4, 2016

Former UH linebackers Julian Gener and Lance Williams are setting their pro aspirations to the north.

Gener was invited to a tryout with the CFL’s Saskatchewan Roughriders on Saturday in Oakland. Williams, who participated in the BC Lions’ mini-combine this past weekend in Seattle, is awaiting word on whether he will be invited to training camp.

“Hopefully, it all turns out well,” Gener said.

Saskatchewan offensive coordinator Mike Scheper invited Gener to the audition. As Portland State’s coach in 2013, Scheper tried to recruit Gener.

Gener said he now weighs 222, six pounds heavier than his pro-day weight on March 22.

“I’ve been eating better,” Gener said. “I feel I’ve been working out a lot harder.”

Williams also has added what he termed “good weight” the past few months. He weighed 225 during the 2015 season, 230 at pro day, and 235 at the Lions’ combine. If invited to training camp, which begins May 25, his target weight would be 240 pounds.

Williams competed at rush end during the Lions’ combine. Robin Ross, the Lions’ defensive line coach, and UH d-line coach Legi Suiaunoa were on the same Western Washington staff for three years.

Williams also has received help from Lions’ linebacker Solomon Elimimian, who is UH’s career leader in tackles. Elimimian and Williams train under Chad Ikei.

“Solomon is a good person,” Williams said. “He works hard. I appreciate everything he does for the local kids.”

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Re: 2 former Warriors have CFL hopes

Post by Neighbor »

Former QB Shane Austin is also having a tryout with the Roughriders, who cut Colt Brennan a few years ago. I think I also saw that former DB Daniel Masifilo was also getting a tryout with the Roughriders, but I guess he didn't make it through mini-camp cause I just looked and he recently signed with an Indoor Football League team

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Re: 2 former Warriors have CFL hopes

Post by Neighbor »

Well, I guess Shane Austin didn't make the cut either. He returns to the AFL's Portland Steel this weekend
http://pdxsteel.com/news/?article_id=28