NCAA Council passes expanded Hawaii 13th game exemption

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
shoichikun808
Pine rider
Pine rider

NCAA Council passes expanded Hawaii 13th game exemption

Post by shoichikun808 »

In case people didn't know...didn't see a thread about it.Hawaiis 13th game exemption has been extended to the Saturday prior to the Thursday before Labor Day which is usually the beginning of the college football season. Meaning Matlins (2015-79) proposal has been passed and adopted. Will be effective as of August 1, 2016. Surprised not much media has covered this...

"FBS Proposal 2015-79
In bowl subdivision football, to specify that an institution that is scheduled to play a regular-season game in Hawaii may play its first permissible contest with outside
competition on the Saturday prior to the Thursday preceding Labor Day; further, to specify that if the institution's first opponent of the season is not a member institution located in Hawaii, the institution's first opponent
of the season may also play its first contest (game or scrimmage) with outside competition on the Saturday prior to the Thursday preceding Labor Day."

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files ... 160418.pdf (page 37)

Simply put...

Opponent [A] plays Hawaii anytime in the season at Aloha Stadium
Opponent [A] now has Week 0 game available to them.
Opponent doesn't play Hawaii that year.
Opponent can still play Opponent [A] in Week 0.

Amount of FBS games in Week 0 will always and never be more than the amount of home games Hawaii has that season. Schools can now go back to [12 games 2 bye weeks] or [13 games 1 bye week] like it was in the past.

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Re: NCAA Council passes expanded Hawaii 13th game exemption

Post by ubercow »

good news, thanks for the info.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

this is great! this is the kind of stuff ben jay should have been trying to accomplish rather than doing studies on moving down to FCS or abandoning football. good work, matlin.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Excellent reporting, shoichikun808!

Waryor
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Waryor »

wow. awesome news! yeah, i wonder why the local media hasn't caught wind of this yet?

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

Waryor wrote:wow. awesome news! yeah, i wonder why the local media hasn't caught wind of this yet?
I find that really strange, too.
Maybe cause it doesn't kick in till August 2016?

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

akuhead2
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by akuhead2 »

Excellent news for years to come.

dopaco24
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by dopaco24 »

The rule will be finalized at the NCAA Board of Directors meeting on April 28th. If the local media doesnt report on it after the meeting, then they have major problems.
"The worst thing a coach can do is stand pat and think the things that worked yesterday will win tomorrow. Intelligent changes must be made." - Johnny Vaught

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

poidog wrote:this is great! this is the kind of stuff ben jay should have been trying to accomplish rather than doing studies on moving down to FCS or abandoning football. good work, matlin.
Ben Jay wrote it off as not being feasible. He wouldn't even take it to the MWC Commissioner.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

madeinhawaii wrote:
poidog wrote:this is great! this is the kind of stuff ben jay should have been trying to accomplish rather than doing studies on moving down to FCS or abandoning football. good work, matlin.
Ben Jay wrote it off as not being feasible. He wouldn't even take it to the MWC Commissioner.
Crazy. All he had to do was read my post from 2010 and he would have been a hero:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=37323&hilit=early

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

poidog wrote:
madeinhawaii wrote:
Crazy. All he had to do was read my post from 2010 and he would have been a hero:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=37323&hilit=early
Thank goodness that Ben Jay didn't take your advice and run with it. He would still be here. Damn bean counter. So far, I like what Dave Matlin has been doing. :D
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

Looks like we all have to wait till August 1st for this to become official. As long as it is not recinded before then and no major objections are raised, it looks like a go.

5.3.2.2.6.2 Finality of Action.
Legislation adopted by the Council shall be considered final at the conclusion of the next Board of Directors meeting, subject to review by the Board of Directors as described in Constitution 4.2.2.
5.3.2.2.7 Rescission Process.
An amendment adopted with less than an 85-percent majority vote of Council members present and voting shall be subject to a 60-day rescission period. An amendment adopted with an 85-percent majority vote or greater of Council members present and voting shall not be subject to a rescission process.

Since the Board meeting has concluded, and since there was no review or overturning of the Council's vote in favor of the amendment to expand the Hawaii exemption, and since the Council vote was 100% in favor of the amendment, one can surmise that the amendment will be final as of August 1st.