Post by UnBiasFan »

at 8:02 ---- I can't believe they coached this crap --- karma is a beaatch

Link

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: throw back Tuesday --- Keenan Jones cheap shot

Post by SundayJam »

Meh...it was completely understandable. I really liked Keenan Jones and he was hyped for the big game. We got called a lot in big games last year too because the players were all jacked. Defense and special teams, for sure, did not lose us the game in the Sugar Bowl. I'm not so sure the offense lost us the game either.

Also...if you look at 26:20 of the game...Georgia's pass rusher is clearly off-sides. It's the only time I've heard of the term jetting the ends. Also, at 27:20 there's a totally bogus call on Jason Rivers for a block off of the play. This was not my favorite game for officiating in a college bowl game.

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

Hawaii did not belong in this game. Period. Big reason why SOS is priority for G5 bid entry now. No excuses...we got flat out destroyed.

Maui Boy in Alaska
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Bears

Post by Maui Boy in Alaska »

I disagree about Hawaii not belong in the 2008 Sugar Bowl. Hawaii had a great year and it is not easy to go 12 - 0. Now Yes the UH 2006 team was the better team and that 2007 George was a much better team then Hawaii. Yet Illinois got beat by USC in the Rose bowl by a larger score (32points) than Hawaii lost (31). Had the BCS did a better job of paring teams that year, Hawaii would have had a much better showing had they played Illinois, Kansas, or Oklahoma who was also in the BCS. But that year, teams like USC and George were clearly the top two teams. I believe either one would have beat LSU who won the National Championship.

So just because Hawaii lost big does not take away from the fact that Hawaii belong there. George was just a mush better football team and should have been paired with USC in the Rose bowl that year. But the Rose Bowl (who had the first pick in the BCS with Ohio State playing in the Nat. Championship) when making there pick out of eligible teams that qualified for the BCS, picked Illinois even though they were the lowest ranking team and passed over George (highest ranking team avaible), which made no sense as higher ranking teams like over Illinois like Arizona St and Missouri got left out of the BCS that year. The Rose bowl pick Illinois to keep with the B10 vs. Pac10 tradition and it lead to a 32 point win for USC.

Hawaii belonged in the BCS. I just wished they had been matched with a more appropriate team. The Sugar Bowl had said the would have picked Missouri that year had the Rose Bowl picked George. Now that would have been a much better match up for Hawaii.

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

There have been eleven G5 teams to play in a major bowl game (BCS/access bid) since 2005. Only one of them got blow out by their opposition. If anyone proved they didn't belong, it was UH. The one and only smaller conference team to make it to the big time and not show out. The only other close team was Northern Illinois in 2012, who lost 31-10 to Florida State, although the Seminoles scored 14 4th quarters points to make the score look worse than the game was.

It is what it is...that was one of the worst fan experiences of my lifetime. I can imagine it is for most of us....but sadly UH's Sugar Bowl appearance is one of a kind among G5 performers. Everyone else won, or at least played respectably.
Last edited by J-Rod on Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

DP

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

I thought Georgia had the best team that year and did not want to play them.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Hawaii got ripped by bad officiating. End of story. All manner of transgressions were permitted for Georgia while petty offenses were flagged against Hawaii. For most bowl games, there's a lot of slack given to let the players play the game. None was given to Hawaii in the Sugar Bowl. If ends are allowed to run off sides on multiple occasions and wear down the qb, of course it'll be advantage Bull Dogs.

To say Hawaii let down the underdogs and proved that non-bcs teams do not belong in a bcs bowl is just elitist nonsense. Every year, many bcs teams get blown out in bcs games...including the National Championship. How is that different from a non-bcs team getting blown out in a bcs bowl game?

There were many highlights for Hawaii in the Sugar Bowl. Hawaii set a Sugar Bowl pass completion record. Our defense stuffed Georgia on 6/14 3rd down conversions and 2 attempts at 4th down conversions. Georgia could not return punts.

Of course, 4 interceptions and a fumble by Brennan didn't help. Coach Jones mentally inking a lucrative contract with SMU certainly didn't increase our chances. Why did he put in very inexperienced running backs like Laumoli and Farmer? I wish we had better coverage than Fox that year, because many of the camera angles and non-existent replays left me wondering.

Think what you want. Hawaii belonged.

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

LOL wow, this is really a thing, huh? People blaming the Sugar Bowl beat down on officiating? UGA led 38-3 after 3 quarters and called off the dogs. Could have easily been a 52-10 type blowout if it weren't for Richt's class. My goodness take the blinders off.

I remember within the first few minutes of the game thinking, "Wow...we look small compared to these guys". They tossed us around with ease and destroyed us. Ran the ball like there was no defense to stop them. Period.

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets
NFL: Buffalo Bills

Post by wyokie »

J-Rod wrote:Hawaii did not belong in this game. Period. Big reason why SOS is priority for G5 bid entry now. No excuses...we got flat out destroyed.
Sadly...I knew UH was going to get destroyed in that Sugar Bowl. 2007 UH was almost exactly like Wyoming's 1988 season. And we got destroyed by Barry Sanders (remember him?) and Okie State, 62-14, in the Holiday Bowl that year after having a 11-1 WAC Championship season.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

this is what happens when your head coach checks out before the game because he is taking a job elsewhere and they blow off practice and preparation and treat the whole time leading up to the game as a party. No practices at the superdome, players all out late the night before the game. they looked like trash in warm-ups and they were not ready to play. people don't give this part of it enough consideration because this is the more uncomfortable part of the conversation - that JJ and the team leaders let us down by not taking the game seriously.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

That had to have been the most painful game that I have ever watched as a UH fan.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

J-Rod wrote:LOL wow, this is really a thing, huh? People blaming the Sugar Bowl beat down on officiating? UGA led 38-3 after 3 quarters and called off the dogs. Could have easily been a 52-10 type blowout if it weren't for Richt's class. My goodness take the blinders off.

I remember within the first few minutes of the game thinking, "Wow...we look small compared to these guys". They tossed us around with ease and destroyed us. Ran the ball like there was no defense to stop them. Period.
And I remember thinking, "dang, that DE just took a three step rush into the backfield before the ball was hiked." Richt had class...? He went for it (and failed) on two 4th down attempts with a sizable lead. I'm not saying we lost because of officiating, but it just wasn't that big of a blow-out. Clearly Brennan had a bad day, but do you think Georgia just let Tyler Graunke score a touch down? We belonged and a win was possible under different conditions.

After some weird calls on Jason Rivers and non-calls against 'jetting' DE's for Georgia, they led 24-3 at the half. This past year, #6 Stanford took a 35-0 lead vs #5 Iowa in the Fiesta Bowl, but no one complained about Iowa's right to be in the game. How about Ole Miss taking a 34-6 lead over Oklahoma State in this past Sugar Bowl? I get that a lot of you are still bummed about the 2007 Sugar Bowl loss, but big losses happen all the time in this game. It's nothing new.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

...and I still feel that Hawaii got cheated by the numb-sense Pac Ten refs, the dumb-struck Hawaii-vs-Georgia media, and more importantly by the wonder-struck Hawaii fan base. Y'all just accepted the fact that Hawaii didn't belong. OMG...the Bull Dogs were just so much BIGGER than us...WTF?!!!!!

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

Haha well, whatever it may be....it sucked. Anticlimactic is an understatement. Hopefully things start looking up soon. Don't want to end up like wyokie and his Cowboys...spending years looking to the past for discussion and debate because the present sucks.