2016 QB Depth Chart

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: 2016 QB Depth Chart

Post by madeinhawaii »

J-Rod wrote:
madeinhawaii wrote: All four Qbacks are throwing 80 passes or more during practice.. working on footwork getting their feet pointed in the right direction, training to work through their progressions properly... etc. Sounds like the basics for the RnS. It will all depend on how well they do. If the lights go on, inside.
That sounds like the basics for playing QB at the FBS level.
You don't usually have 4 QBs throwing equal reps of 80 each... with 80 being a high number of reps even for a starter.
Furthermore, you certainly don't see that with QBs in full pads each time they show up for practice..
Same with the receivers... 320 opportunities in full pads, running full speed.

The passing game is important to this crew. Very important.

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

Why would Rolo have to imply anything? If a QB recruit can't look at the returning QBs this past recruiting season and the next I'm not sure how sharp he is. You can look at the depth chart and draw your own conclusions.

PrideRockFB
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by PrideRockFB »

Did Coach even come out and say what offense Hawaii will be running? Will it be the same Pistol offense as Nevada?

KanakaMaoli96792
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by KanakaMaoli96792 »

the offense is "spread & shred"

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

The latest UH website article on the 9th practice highlight Hynson and what he brings to the table. No doubt, the passing game is important to Rolo.
"Hynson came from Norfolk State in Virginia as wide receivers coach, where he helped the Spartans up their production 450 yards receiving and 36 spots in the national rankings in just one season. Before that, he was co-offensive coordinator for nationally-ranked Montana, coaching the quarterbacks. He also comes in with experience from Yale and Western Washington."
http://www.hawaiiathletics.com/news/201 ... h=football

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Rolo likes his runningbacks and keeps talking about a hybrid offense.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

RedZone wrote:Rolo likes his runningbacks and keeps talking about a hybrid offense.
Yeah.. he has to play to the hand he's been dealt with. Except for the injured (mostly defensive players, I think), what he had this spring on the offense is what he's going to have to run with in the fall. They will have to figure out some sleight of hand tricks and moves to get those extra 3-4 yards per 3 downs.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

The order in which they appeared in the Spring Fling was Woolsey, Reilly and Zwhalen. But each got equal reps and each had his ups and downs. Hopefully someone separates during the summer, takes the reigns early in camp and never looks back.

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

uhwarriors wrote:The order in which they appeared in the Spring Fling was Woolsey, Reilly and Zwhalen. But each got equal reps and each had his ups and downs. Hopefully someone separates during the summer, takes the reigns early in camp and never looks back.
Thanks for the info. Considering so many fans have clamored for Aaron, surprised to see him 3rd. That could be just based on seniority though.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

J-Rod wrote:
uhwarriors wrote:The order in which they appeared in the Spring Fling was Woolsey, Reilly and Zwhalen. But each got equal reps and each had his ups and downs. Hopefully someone separates during the summer, takes the reigns early in camp and never looks back.
Thanks for the info. Considering so many fans have clamored for Aaron, surprised to see him 3rd. That could be just based on seniority though.
I've only been to three practices this spring and wasn't always watching the QBs, but here are some of my thoughts as well as those of other observers.

Woolsey is the most comfortable and composed out there coming from 5 years of experience. While he has improved some, he isn't the quickest processor which probably leads to his inconsistency. His mobility gives him a heads up if the offense is based more on the zone read option. If it's more of a run pass option based offense then Reilly or Zwahlen may have more upside.

While Reilly is still quite thin, he has made strides in getting stronger. You can see it in his arm strength which is better than last year. He has good touch on the long balls. I haven't had a chance to study him much, but I think his inconsistency comes from lack of experience.

Most others and I feel Zwahlen has the best arm and throws the tightest ball. But he may be the most inconsistent at this time. It's probably because of the lack of meaningful reps coming into this spring. He probably has the most upside, but Reilly surprised me at times this spring with some of the throws he made.

If no one improves dramatically over the summer, Woolsey probably will get the nod at the beginning of the season based on his most experience, compsure and leadership skills.

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

uhwarriors wrote: I've only been to three practices this spring and wasn't always watching the QBs, but here are some of my thoughts as well as those of other observers.

Woolsey is the most comfortable and composed out there coming from 5 years of experience. While he has improved some, he isn't the quickest processor which probably leads to his inconsistency. His mobility gives him a heads up if the offense is based more on the zone read option. If it's more of a run pass option based offense then Reilly or Zwahlen may have more upside.

While Reilly is still quite thin, he has made strides in getting stronger. You can see it in his arm strength which is better than last year. He has good touch on the long balls. I haven't had a chance to study him much, but I think his inconsistency comes from lack of experience.

Most others and I feel Zwahlen has the best arm and throws the tightest ball. But he may be the most inconsistent at this time. It's probably because of the lack of meaningful reps coming into this spring. He probably has the most upside, but Reilly surprised me at times this spring with some of the throws he made.

If no one improves dramatically over the summer, Woolsey probably will get the nod at the beginning of the season based on his most experience, compsure and leadership skills.
Good to hear. I wouldn't mind another QB transfer of some sort, but I trust Rolo. Dan Robinson didn't have the DR legacy we know today until taught properly. I have faith we'll see progress there.

Again, thanks for the info. Us mainlanders don't hear much and media coverage is getting thinner these days. Less specific. And the WSN reports are laced with cynicism.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

I wouldn't be surprised if after grades are posted in a few weeks, a few Graduate or JC QBs contact Rolo. Lots of quality guys itching to play rather than sit on the bench behind a stable of 4-5* mates.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

BigWave96744 wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if after grades are posted in a few weeks, a few Graduate or JC QBs contact Rolo. Lots of quality guys itching to play rather than sit on the bench behind a stable of 4-5* mates.
I may be wrong but I think Tsai mentioned something about a qb coming after spring. Did not say who it was but I am hoping it is someone with game experience.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

PrideRockFB
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by PrideRockFB »

Are you sure he wasn't talking about Cole McDonald?

DA SCOUT
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by DA SCOUT »

Personally , I was at the spring fling it was hard to say who because they all played average . Woosley can't hit the deep ball he had guys open down field multiple times and just kept overthrowing them he just has no touch but he actually throws the ball well when he scrambles. Reiley has nice touch on the deep ball but every other throw average nothing hard lot of five yd completions for all Qb's didn't watch to much of zwalen was trying to get a grasp on the Defense we definitely need someone to step up soon