were the refs paid off by fresno?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
QbreakN
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

were the refs paid off by fresno?

Post by QbreakN »

Those were the worst calls I have ever seen. One of the calls was roughing the passer when one of the players tapped the QB and he didnt even fall down. Another unnecessary roughness came when they sacked the qb and then the refs threw a flag after the play saying false start on fresno and unnecessary roughness on UH. The last one came when the fresno qb fell down and one of our linemen lightly fell on him and he still had the ball which was called as roughing the passer.

Does anyone have the video of this?

Hilorains
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: were the refs paid off by fresno?

Post by Hilorains »

I could've swore on one of the penaltys for roughing the passer the ref helped the Fresno QB up after he threw the flag

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

QbreakN wrote:Those were the worst calls I have ever seen. One of the calls was roughing the passer when one of the players tapped the QB and he didnt even fall down. Another unnecessary roughness came when they sacked the qb and then the refs threw a flag after the play saying false start on fresno and unnecessary roughness on UH. The last one came when the fresno qb fell down and one of our linemen lightly fell on him and he still had the ball which was called as roughing the passer.

Does anyone have the video of this?
That was the only one I thought was questionable. The one that the QB did not fall was a hit to the head - automatic penalty, regardless if he was hit hard enough to make the QB fall. So was Nelson's forearm to the head. Couple of them, the defender took two steps after the QB threw the ball then hit him. Most times the ref will give you one step and not call it but two steps, he should have been able to hold up. Gifford's one on the false start should not have been called since the whistle didn't blow until Gifford hit the QB. Overall, looks like lack of discipline.
ImageImage

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

QbreakN,

This is totally sarcasm intended...yeah,the refs fixed it just like they got paid off in all the other games except Colorado,where apparently some UH booster stepped up with more bucks to get the refs on UH'S side.There is no way that our coaching staff and players....because this is a team sport after all, could really have the record they have because of their abilities...has to be the refs ,right?

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

There were a ton of bad calls. Let the game be played by the players not the referees. We should never have joined the MWC?

Irse

Post by Irse »

SundayJam wrote:There were a ton of bad calls. Let the game be played by the players not the referees. We should never have joined the MWC?
Chow would have liked that. Maybe he could have won more.
ImageImage

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

SundayJam wrote:We should never have joined the MWC?
MWC = WAC. There is no WAC football, correct?

I kind of felt Hawaii should have push harder to join the PAC12 during the height of JJ era. It would have been a legit case to consider. Now the program is so far away that it's not even reasonable to entertain the idea for another 10 years.

Irse

Post by Irse »

cabanalane wrote:
SundayJam wrote:We should never have joined the MWC?
MWC = WAC. There is no WAC football, correct?

I kind of felt Hawaii should have push harder to join the PAC12 during the height of JJ era. It would have been a legit case to consider. Now the program is so far away that it's not even reasonable to entertain the idea for another 10 years.
When one of the media guys asked a PAC 12 official about UH, he said no way they get in.

Now days, conferences are more worried about the TV market than the W-L record. I feel that if we had a foothold in the asian market, we would be in the PAC 12.
ImageImage

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Irse wrote: Now days, conferences are more worried about the TV market than the W-L record. I feel that if we had a foothold in the asian market, we would be in the PAC 12.
I remember when mainland reporters cover Shawn Ching (UH starting center). And they would add a Chinese character next to Ching. There you go, Chinese Asian football star.

Except Ching is his stepfather's last name. Not his birth father - Alevado?\

But off of what you said, I would think there are more of a Hawaii connection with the Pac 12 schools in terms of geography and local population, than many of the MWC (or even WAC) teams/cities.

Meaning, if UH was to play UCLA, USC, Oregon, SJ, Wash, and even AZ, there would be a strong local support at the games. I'm not exactly sure the same local support is there for Idaho or Wyoming, New Mexico, etc.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

cabanalane wrote:
Irse wrote: Now days, conferences are more worried about the TV market than the W-L record. I feel that if we had a foothold in the asian market, we would be in the PAC 12.
I remember when mainland reporters cover Shawn Ching (UH starting center). And they would add a Chinese character next to Ching. There you go, Chinese Asian football star.

Except Ching is his stepfather's last name. Not his birth father - Alevado?\

But off of what you said, I would think there are more of a Hawaii connection with the Pac 12 schools in terms of geography and local population, than many of the MWC (or even WAC) teams/cities.

Meaning, if UH was to play UCLA, USC, Oregon, SJ, Wash, and even AZ, there would be a strong local support at the games. I'm not exactly sure the same local support is there for Idaho or Wyoming, New Mexico, etc.
Like Irse said, it's all about the TV market and what said school can bring to the conference. Look at Boise for example. When the conferences were doing their expanding spree, Boise with thier great resume at least football wise wasn't considered, at least seriously, because they have a small tv market. Hawaii's tv market isn't much bigger even during the Sugar Bowl season.

I have not even mentioned program success as a factor. Not just only in football, but also men's basketball. Those two sports are the main factors when conferences consider a school for invitation. And well UH, yeah nope. There is a bunch of other stuff as well.

Egonator
Pine rider
Pine rider
MLB: Brewers/Rays
NBA: Jazz/Timberwolves
NFL: Vikings/Bills

Post by Egonator »

Even if the refs were paid off by Fresno it dont matter. The offense sucked so bad that UH didnt deserve to win the game.

I'm not one to blame the refs. If the offense produced we wouldn't have this problem of blaming the refs

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Refs were on vacation. Not like this game mattered to them. It sure seemed that way.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by xer 21 »

RedZone wrote:Refs were on vacation. Not like this game mattered to them. It sure seemed that way.
pretty much. not that it mattered.
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Hah! There is no Asian market for American football. Their favorite team sport is futbol. UH will never get into the PAC 12/14/16. UH tried before and was told to don't call them, they will call you - and not to expect a call. The only way to get an audience and fans is to develop and groom players to play on your team. Australia has more American football players than all of the other Asian countries combined (none), and there is no market there in Australia. No Chinese nationals, no Japanese nationals, no Korean nationals, or Thai, Taiwan, Philippines, etc.

Now back to our regular scheduled thread, no, the refs were paid by the MWC. UH was supposedly told by the refs (from what I remember reading after the game) that they would call anything close if it involved late hits on the quarterback. UH had no discipline. Fresnecks had more discipline and fortunately there were no fisticuffs.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

Manoa
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by Manoa »

You need to know something that the mother of a player told us. The refs were warning us that we were hitting the QB late and they would start calling it. They gave another warning and said they would begin calling every late hit. Discipline broke down and players were being warned constantly, so the refs started calling every late hit and other violations like lining up offsides on the defensive line, and other unecessary roughness calls. I think the team may have earned another blackmark with the refs this season. Hopefully this stops.