Is McKenzie Milton a better QB than Andrew Manley?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Is McKenzie Milton a better QB than Andrew Manley?

Post by gopunahou »

Milton can obviously run better but can't throw the ball as well as Manley did. Does anyone think Milton will give us more than Manley would have?
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Is McKenzie Milton a better QB than Andrew Manley?

Post by RedZone »

I am thinking that it would depend on the new coach and how Milton's injury heals. Hasn't been the same since his injury. Manley was more of a pro style qb. He is not a runner. The think about Milton is he could move to receiver.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

RedZone wrote:I am thinking that it would depend on the new coach and how Milton's injury heals. Hasn't been the same since his injury. Manley was more of a pro style qb. He is not a runner. The thing about Milton is he could move to receiver.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

Are you talking about what either of them could've done for Hawaii? If so are you talking about whether how well they would fit into the Run n Shoot, if that's what Hawaii would run if JJ came back?

SM96753
All-conference
All-conference

Post by SM96753 »

I would take Manley. Manley had much more zip on his passes. Tight spirals.

I don't think Milton has a very strong arm. Even before his injury, I noticed that many of his passes fluttered.

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by xer 21 »

considering how mediocre manly was at NMSU, it wouldnt be hard.
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

[youtube][/youtube]
SM96753 wrote:I would take Manley. Manley had much more zip on his passes. Tight spirals.

I don't think Milton has a very strong arm. Even before his injury, I noticed that many of his passes fluttered.
Looking at his 2014 highlights, the arm looks strong enough to me. Got a nice touch on the deep ball, this guy could stretch the field for us by getting the ball to the receiver at a spot where the receiver will be.

Link

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Milton's video looks good. I wasn't impressed with Manley's video back then, and was not impressed with his play while at NMSU.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

It's not really an apples to apples comparison. They are different types who fit into the schemes run by their respective schools. Milton had more weapons with the likes of Malepeai and Timoteo. With that said, I believe that Milton was a much more accurate passer, who also could drive defenses crazy with his 4.5/4.6 40 speed.

SM96753
All-conference
All-conference

Post by SM96753 »

madeinhawaii wrote:[youtube][/youtube]
SM96753 wrote:I would take Manley. Manley had much more zip on his passes. Tight spirals.

Looking at his 2014 highlights, the arm looks strong enough to me. Got a nice touch on the deep ball, this guy could stretch the field for us by getting the ball to the receiver at a spot where the receiver will be.

Link
Don't get me wrong, I only wish him the best because he is one of our local kids; however, I don't see the zip on tight window opportunities. Many of the deep ball passes on the go routes have much to do with their receivers running right by the defensive backs. And to Milton's defense, it's not his fault that Timoteo is an absolute beast. Remember what Trent Dilfer and Steve Young always say, the easiest ball to throw in football is the "go" route.

I'd like to see him throw the 10-15 yard hitch with high velocity. A three step and fire because at the next level, there won't always be time for the deep route to develop. But again, it's not Milton's fault that he has a darn good O-line.

I think he would do well at a Division 2 school (I forget what they actually call that level now). Or, I would not be surprised to see him add a few pounds and line up in the slot because he has nice speed.

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

You want zip like our current QBs have? Woolsey and Wittek have a lot of zip. Maybe too much cause the guys are dropping balls all over the place, or they are bouncing off the chests and helmets into the hands of the defenders. More important than zip is placement and timing, I think. Zip wasn't Colt's thing, either. McKenzie's a very football smart QB, who calls his own plays. The only things going against McKenzie that I can see are physical things, his height and build. He's as tall as Moniz.. but still needs to bulk up some.

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Palolo_2LA »

Milton bc he's more accurate and athletic. With the state of the UH Oline, a non athletic QB is a dead duck.
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

madeinhawaii wrote:You want zip like our current QBs have? Woolsey and Wittek have a lot of zip. Maybe too much cause the guys are dropping balls all over the place, or they are bouncing off the chests and helmets into the hands of the defenders. More important than zip is placement and timing, I think. Zip wasn't Colt's thing, either. McKenzie's a very football smart QB, who calls his own plays. The only things going against McKenzie that I can see are physical things, his height and build. He's as tall as Moniz.. but still needs to bulk up some.
Good point he throws a very catchable ball. And per his head coach sees the field really well. I think the qbs that we have now just make too many mistakes. Sometimes its like they can't see the defenders or try to force the ball into double sometimes triple coverage while if he wldened his vision he wpuld see that there is an uncovered receiver.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Palolo_2LA wrote:Milton bc he's more accurate and athletic. With the state of the UH Oline, a non athletic QB is a dead duck.
We have a very young oline this season. Only one senor playing injured. They have improved. Harris has been finding more holes to run thru. They will be better next season. Priority will be to find someone who can throw the coconut and skill players who are playmakers. Maybe aruuningback who can block as well as run.

SM96753
All-conference
All-conference

Post by SM96753 »

madeinhawaii wrote:You want zip like our current QBs have? Woolsey and Wittek have a lot of zip.
Actually, I don't think Wittek or Woolsey are any good but that's a different topic. Those two don't even come into my mind. However, I'd like a little bit of velocity because those windows that he will have to throw to are going to close up a lot faster in college than in high school.