Coach Mac

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
Old Diver
All-conference
All-conference

Re: Coach Mac

Post by Old Diver »

madeinhawaii wrote:
cabanalane wrote:1. Mac made a comment about gays. In today's PC world, that's an automatic firing.

2. 6-9=failed. Hawaii fans want Sugar bowl 2.0.

3. UH Admins and Leaders never handle HC situations well. They fired Bob Wagner, Let JJ go, and basically foreced Mac to go too. That's why they too so long to fire Chow. We talked about new football headcoaches. Perhaps we need to talk about new decision makers at UH.
What bothered me was that they didn't want to promote from within or keep the RnS in some form or another...
Agree. Boise State remains a winner because their system doesn't change much as the HC changes.

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

SundayJam wrote:
Duster wrote:
Egonator wrote:Coach Mac had to go. Towards the end of the season he lost the team. His Guys were not listening to him...they were giving up a lot of points...all In all they gave up on Mac. Just like the end of the Air Force game you knew that the last game of the 2011 seasonwas going to be Mac last game. In addition, the expectations were high at the time. Especially after a successful 2010 season when Hawaii finished 10-4
To me, the 6-7 2011 season ended the way that it did because Bryant Moniz went down with a broken leg. They could have beaten Fresno State or Tulane, and one more win/one less loss would have resulted in a 7-6 record and bowl game. They also should not have lost to Utah State with the lead and with Chucky Keeton going down and should have beaten SJSU as well but they could not finish. Tanked at UNLV too. As much of a Mack fan that I am, I feel that there is no good reason why the Warriors lost to UNLV, SJSU or Utah State that year.
The only disappointment for me in 2011 was Bryant Moniz's performance at UNLV. Don't forget that the ENTIRE starting offensive line was either injured or disqualified that year. Both Utah State and SJSU went on to have outstanding seasons in 2012. Utah State very nearly beat Auburn in 2011 as well.

I'm a little tired of fans stating Mack's calling Notre Dame's dance faggity as proof of poor communication. Everyone makes mistakes and that was a pretty minor one. Also, many fans took an unprofessional blog interview with a back-up quarterback complaining about how McMackin was so uninspiring compared to Dick Tomey who joined the coaching staff in 2011. Why didn't anyone come to the conclusion that Dick Tomey was part of the problem in 2011 instead?

In regard to June Jones or McMackin not running enough, you just have to look at banner running years for both coaches including June Jones' teams in the NFL. Alex Greene was top ten in all of CFB for all purpose yardage. Hawaii was also consistently #1 for offense...certainly top 5. Now were bottom 10...I guess. ( I don't know for certain.)
It was a weird season. PATs were iffy (and Dick Tomey was the special teams coach). SJSU and Utah State should have been wins, but SJSU won by a point because a 4th quarter PAT was blocked and returned for 2 points by Duke Ihenacho (yeah, the one in the NFL) and a TD pass to WR Chandler Jones (not the NFL guy) on a crossing route with less than a minute left (after SJSU took possession with less than 2 minutes left). What I remember from Utah State was a big lead at halftime and some JC transfer stepped in at QB for Keeton and threw long TD passes - they even converted on 4th down where the punter threw a wounded duck to keep an eventual scoring drive alive. It left me stunned and disappointed.

The one difference between Mack and Norm Chow was that Mack seemed to recruit more stout DL types (Haku Correa, Geordan Hanohano, Moses Samia, Marcus Malepeai, Beau Yap, Calen Friel, Zach Masch) plus add transfers (Siasau Matagiese and Kaniela Tuipulotu) whereas NC's recruiting strategy seemed to be more focused on signing OL, TE, LB, WR and DB. Kennedy Tulimasealii is fantastic, Kaau Gifford has a bright future, and Norm was lucky to get Kory Rasmussen as a transfer but there is little depth. Samiuela Akoteu is more like the stout DT UH needs and looks promising, but he isn't playing this year. Mike Andrade medically retired and David Fangupo did not qualify, but no others recruited or transferring in to bolster the interior DL. Opposing teams seemed to have a hard time running between the tackles until this year - after all of the Mack era DL recruits (Samia, Yap) completed their eligibility. If you're not strong in the middle, . . . .

ttmf
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by ttmf »

FCWarrior wrote:Was'nt there allegations of point shaving?
Qb and some other players. Rumor was Moniz knew or was related to a bookie. UNLV game for example super hot in first half then second half was a total different qb.
IT'S JUST A GAME!

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

Coach Mac was always in the habit of making a bad remark about the other teams when Hawaii went to Bowl games. One was the Notre Dame game about them being gay and Notre Dame demolished Hawaii in the Hawaii Bowl. Then there was some animosity between the Tulsa/Hawaii game between the players from Hawaii. There was no control of the Warriors during the outing to respect the other team before the game was actually played. One thing you never do is make fun of an opponent before the game or even after because its all karma. We got trounced in both games. He was not a winner.

cousin
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by cousin »

Mac seemed to have some psychological problems during his last season. His communication skills, besides his whiney voice, virtually disappeared. His players confirmed this by stating that he continually wandered off topic during team meetings. Many of his public appearances embarrassed UH in one way or another. I don't know anything except what I read in the newspapers. No one seems to want to mention this anymore, but given this, the UH decision makers (except AD Jim Donovan) wanted Mac out. I believe that Mac was not psychologically fit to continue coaching at UH. I also think that the win-loss results were not bad, and not the (main) reason for firing Mac

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

cousin wrote:Mac seemed to have some psychological problems during his last season. His communication skills, besides his whiney voice, virtually disappeared. His players confirmed this by stating that he continually wandered off topic during team meetings. Many of his public appearances embarrassed UH in one way or another. I don't know anything except what I read in the newspapers. No one seems to want to mention this anymore, but given this, the UH decision makers (except AD Jim Donovan) wanted Mac out. I believe that Mac was not psychologically fit to continue coaching at UH. I also think that the win-loss results were not bad, and not the (main) reason for firing Mac
Extremely strong pain killers for a chronic back problem. If you know people who've been under such medication, you know how it can sometimes scramble your brain. An overdose wiped my mother's memory completely. She never recognized me after that. Same with my aunt.

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

When you look at the record, it's crazy to wonder why we were all calling for him to be fired. Especially since there were two or three games were we could have easily won.

But on the deeper side, Mack just wasn't suited to coach. His health was real bad by the end of it

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

Neighbor wrote:When you look at the record, it's crazy to wonder why we were all calling for him to be fired. Especially since there were two or three games were we could have easily won.

But on the deeper side, Mack just wasn't suited to coach. His health was real bad by the end of it
I would have like for UH to retain him as a mentor for his final year at half pay (which they paid him, anyway) and promoted from within.. Rolo or Aranda. We could be where we are today 4 years ago with better players.

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

tavarua88
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by tavarua88 »

that was exactly what I was hoping for when the season ended. There's no way he should've come back, from first hand discussions with one player I've met, the rumors about this guy being aloof are spot on.
madeinhawaii wrote:
Neighbor wrote:When you look at the record, it's crazy to wonder why we were all calling for him to be fired. Especially since there were two or three games were we could have easily won.

I would have like for UH to retain him as a mentor for his final year at half pay (which they paid him, anyway) and promoted from within.. Rolo or Aranda. We could be where we are today 4 years ago with better players.
*** Locked by the Moderators ***
Time to lock this thread. Let Coach Mack enjoy his retirement. No sense to rehash the past at this point