Jones says he will apply

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Jones says he will apply

Post by J-Rod »

JJ would bring a lot of positivity to the program...guaranteed the home opener vs. UT-Martin will have 30K+ fans. He will rile up the fan base. I should be clear, I don't think JJ would be a hire of Chow-proportions. Obviously he's an upgrade either way. I just see lots of fans on social media making like we're gonna party like it's 2007 right away. Things have changed (conference, importance of $$$, recruiting, etc.)...there would be a transition period. Are we okay with that? Cause it seems like those banging the JJ drum are expecting big things right away. This reunion party might not be as fruitful as some expect.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

J-Rod wrote: Are we okay with that? Cause it seems like those banging the JJ drum are expecting big things right away. This reunion party might not be as fruitful as some expect.
Nope. 9-4 season = failed. Fans expect Sugarbowl 12-0.

In some ways, that was the problem with Chow. He was hired with that (unrealistic) expectation. Hawaii Football will "chase Championships." (Joey Iosefa = Reggie Bush)

Outside of JJ asking too much $$$, this is JJ's job to loose. And I think this would be the only concern with JJ's hiring. If they choose Rich Miano, he can be fired after one year. If they hire Chris Naeole, he can be fired after one year. They can not, and will not fire JJ no matter what.

The Admins still believe they are the powerful person and the one in control. They are not about to let a football coach be in control.

season ticket holder
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by season ticket holder »

doesnt really make sense to hire june only for him to groom the next head coach like a lot of people are saying. like people really want june but only for 3 years? makes no sense.

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Palolo_2LA »

season ticket holder wrote:doesnt really make sense to hire june only for him to groom the next head coach like a lot of people are saying. like people really want june but only for 3 years? makes no sense.
+ His prime has come and gone. SMU was a disaster at the end. UH needs a new direction and going back to JJ is not the answer.
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

Irse
MLB: Cubs

Post by Irse »

season ticket holder wrote:doesnt really make sense to hire june only for him to groom the next head coach like a lot of people are saying. like people really want june but only for 3 years? makes no sense.
For me, its about getting out of this mess and going in a positive direction. I think it's too big of a job for OJT. 5 years of losing is a lot. Not expecting miracle, just be competitive. There is at least one guy I would rather have but depending on the pay, unlikely to get him. I think he's in line for a big payday.
ImageImage

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

cabanalane wrote: Nope. 9-4 season = failed. Fans expect Sugarbowl 12-0.

In some ways, that was the problem with Chow. He was hired with that (unrealistic) expectation. Hawaii Football will "chase Championships." (Joey Iosefa = Reggie Bush)
That's the attitude that is going to get fans in trouble. Revisionist historians think the Brennan era lasted 9 years. In reality, most of the JJ era was UH barely getting by record wise, mostly benefiting from several gimme wins (Idaho, NMSU, etc.) to get them over the top. They played watered-down OOC schedules to boost that win total as well.

JJ only had three season over 10 wins at Hawaii, and only once did he have fewer than 3 losses in a season (2007). His loss totals went as followed starting in 1999; 3, 9, 3, 4, 5, 5, 7, 3, 1. At SMU they were 11, 5, 7, 5, 6, 7, 2*

*left after 0-2 start

By no means are those bad numbers...not at all. But vs. a weakened WAC (one easier to navigate than the current MW) and watered-down OOC schedules, I think people are feeling a little nostalgic and not seeing things for what they were.

So when I see statements like "Nope. 9-4 - failed. Fans expect Sugar Bowl 12-0"...I cringe. Fans want to double dip, expecting glory...when really UH is probably going to get three seasons around 5-7 wins from June before he calls it quits...again. Is that worth fighting for? Man, I'd rather put every resource into going after Dino Babers. His offense the other night is incredibly impressive. Modern, effective. Unlike what June does.

For once UH, let's look to the future and stop dwelling in the past. That's what got us into this mess. Move all the chips in on Dino Babers. Enough with the small time, cheap thinking. Say no to Discount June.

season ticket holder
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by season ticket holder »

wonder if Dino will throw his name back in the hat after not getting it the first time.

Irse
MLB: Cubs

Post by Irse »

season ticket holder wrote:wonder if Dino will throw his name back in the hat after not getting it the first time.
Not if a P5 school comes after him.
ImageImage

seasider
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by seasider »

Loosing the football program or down-sizing to a lower division will never happened. Once the ship is righted, the football program will once again became that engine that can support all of the non-revenue programs. LOL even with coach Chow's 1st 3 loosing seasons, football was self-supporting

Righting a listing ship starts with hiring the right coach for the job.

IMHO, JJ is not the man. Bottom line he quit for more $, then was the first to abandon ship at SMU.

And...LOL...Miano is also not the right man for the job.

Lets see if UH's Athletic Director has the guts to pick his own man.