Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Cowboys

Are we afraid to state the obvious?

Post by Palolo_2LA »

The lack of talent on this team is the main factor of the continued losing. Offensive and defensive schemes and coaching have an impact, however, the lack of legit D1 players is nuts. There is at most 5 guys who could start at other schools and that's being optimistic. Kennedy is the only guy I can safely say could start at a P5 school. The question for all is how to improve the talent level as the UH brand has never been lower, so the lure is abysmal?
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Are we afraid to state the obvious?

Post by madeinhawaii »

Palolo_2LA wrote:The lack of talent on this team is the main factor of the continued losing. Offensive and defensive schemes and coaching have an impact, however, the lack of legit D1 players is nuts. There is at most 5 guys who could start at other schools and that's being optimistic. Kennedy is the only guy I can safely say could start at a P5 school. The question for all is how to improve the talent level as the UH brand has never been lower, so the lure is abysmal?
The first step is to relieve the program of the person in charge of recruiting ... we just did that.
Next would be to ensure we have someone who can recruit the kind of players needed to be successful.
That same person needs to be flexible in mind and strategy to be able to use the players at hand in the most advantageous ways... creating mismatches whenever possible to eke out wins.

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

I'll ditto too. UH players are just not that good. I don't think this has anything to do with heart or effort.

Chow Time did have a good academic rate for the student athlete. And didn't Lance Williams mentioned that Chow last words were for them to be a man, treat people with respect, treat women with respect, etc. So these are life sessions that a father or uncle would give.

But this is football...so.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

Palolo_2LA wrote:The lack of talent on this team is the main factor of the continued losing. Offensive and defensive schemes and coaching have an impact, however, the lack of legit D1 players is nuts. There is at most 5 guys who could start at other schools and that's being optimistic. Kennedy is the only guy I can safely say could start at a P5 school. The question for all is how to improve the talent level as the UH brand has never been lower, so the lure is abysmal?
Totally disagree. If the players are so bad that they can't start at other schools, how were we two minutes away from winning at UNM, ahead by 17 over UNR, and how the heck did we beat CU? Coaching lost us the UNR and UNM games. Stop trying to paint Chow in a better light already.

Grinch
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Grinch »

I think we have talent, including Kennedy, ALL of our linebackers, a few of our WRs - including Ewaliko. Speaking of Ewaliko - why doesn't he get more looks either at slot or WR? Guy making plays on special teams.
"The rise . . . of the Warriors."

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Palolo_2LA »

poidog wrote:
Totally disagree. If the players are so bad that they can't start at other schools, how were we two minutes away from winning at UNM, ahead by 17 over UNR, and how the heck did we beat CU? Coaching lost us the UNR and UNM games. Stop trying to paint Chow in a better light already.
How many players can play at a P5 school ? I guarantee most wouldn't start at most schools. Have you seen how dominate most Oline and Dlines has been against UH? Have you watched the QB, WRs, RBs, DBs and LBs comparisons? Get real. FYI, I wasn't not a NC fan.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

Palolo_2LA wrote:
poidog wrote:
How many players can play at a P5 school ? I guarantee most wouldn't start at most schools. Have you seen how dominate most Oline and Dlines has been against UH? Have you watched the QB, WRs, RBs, DBs and LBs comparisons? Get real. FYI, I wasn't not a NC fan.
You said it was optimistic that 5 guys on UH would start at other schools - i am disagreeing with that but now you change your words and say power 5 teams.

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Palolo_2LA »

Grinch wrote:I think we have talent, including Kennedy, ALL of our linebackers, a few of our WRs - including Ewaliko. Speaking of Ewaliko - why doesn't he get more looks either at slot or WR? Guy making plays on special teams.
Ewaliko is fast, but comparatively he's not that fast compared to skill players from most speed states (Cali, Texas, Florida or most Southern states) . Those state's 100 meter champs run 10.3's , while Ewaliko is a 11 sec guy. Apparently, he has trouble learning routes and plays. I do think they need to get him a minimum of 7-10 touches on offense.

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Palolo_2LA »

poidog wrote:
Palolo_2LA wrote:
poidog wrote: Totally disagree. If the players are so bad that they can't start at other schools, how were we two minutes away from winning at UNM, ahead by 17 over UNR, and how the heck did we beat CU? Coaching lost us the UNR and UNM games. Stop trying to paint Chow in a better light already.
You said it was optimistic that 5 guys on UH would start at other schools - i am disagreeing with that but now you change your words and say power 5 teams.
I said P5 and most other schools, so that's all D1, right? On one on one match ups UH has been overmatched for the most part. I mean the QB can't throw, The Wrs can't catch and the oline can't block, most DLs are pushed around, LBs are too slow and DBs get torched and they would start somewhere else? How many would start at CU, Boise, Wisconsin, SDSU for example?

Hawkpeter
Starter
Starter

Post by Hawkpeter »

Everyone looks terrible when there is systemic failure.

On the whole, football has an over-supply of labour. There are many players who could play well for Hawaii, fundamental is sound systems and coaches who can coherently implement them.

There needs to be an explanation as to how teams can go from very good to very bad, and very bad to very good in a short period of time. The obvious answer is that the talent is unrealized in the poor performances. UH must choose the right coach, the recruiting is secondary to that.

tchang09
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by tchang09 »

I think the proof is in the pudding. How many players have we had drafted or have played in the years since June left?

Grinch
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Grinch »

I agree with with Hawkpeter. When we had receivers who weren't blazing fast - Chad Owens, Salas, Pilares, Bess, Rivers, and even RB Nasty Nate - our offense had some success as the coaches utilized their strengths. On the other hand, look at USC - when they were losing even with 4-5 star talent on first, second and probably even third teams.

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Palolo_2LA »

Hawkpeter wrote:Everyone looks terrible when there is systemic failure.

On the whole, football has an over-supply of labour. There are many players who could play well for Hawaii, fundamental is sound systems and coaches who can coherently implement them.

There needs to be an explanation as to how teams can go from very good to very bad, and very bad to very good in a short period of time. The obvious answer is that the talent is unrealized in the poor performances. UH must choose the right coach, the recruiting is secondary to that.
Best coach without talented players = limited wins

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Palolo_2LA »

Grinch wrote:I agree with with Hawkpeter. When we had receivers who weren't blazing fast - Chad Owens, Salas, Pilares, Bess, Rivers, and even RB Nasty Nate - our offense had some success as the coaches utilized their strengths. On the other hand, look at USC - when they were losing even with 4-5 star talent on first, second and probably even third teams.
C Owens outran DBs, so I wouldn't can him slow. Same for most ppl on your list minus Salas. 40 times are overrated as game speed, precise routes and reading the defense can over come not being a 4.4 guy. Most of these guys were also shifty, ran great routes and caught passes.

The USC 4-5 star guys no producing has to do with the competition level of the opponents, their offense and main their QBs challenges. Also, a 4-5 star guy who doesn't work hard and develop his routes, hands and reads will never evolve into his potential. Plug in those guys at UH and they'd score simply on talent.

Grinch
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Grinch »

Palolo - good points. All the guys I named were studs on the field. Besides catching/running and making plays - I liked watching Salas and Rivers block down field, or try to run over DBs.
My point - and I think Hawkpeter - was essentially that we need a coach that recruits and then utilizes the talent that we have.